Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

I picked up the DVD at Target! The Christmas show looks amazing! The colors are very vibrant and sharp (no bleeding) and they have incorporated the B&W scenes too. Plus... NEW MENUS! Ill post more screengrabs later on! 

I knew it would be beautiful! looking forward to it!!!!

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are more screen grabs of the wonderful work on the colorized Christmas special.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Undertaking a project like this (much less a beloved and iconic TV show) is more than astounding. It is very difficult work from what I have been told and to colorize anything over an existing BW film and make it look halfway decent, is the task at hand. This is not Photoshop, an artist's rendering or an actress making herself up with similar colors and overall appearance...it is tedious modern day technology. The days of Turner use a child's color palette and redoing old classic films is hopefully long gone. 

The key here is to appreciate what has been done and hopefully with its success, the entire series might be colorized. While I am big fan of the original BW episodes (due in part to the masterful cinematographer, Karl Freund who knew exactly what he was doing to make "I Love Lucy" and Lucy herself look wonderful) if the series gets a boost to find future fans of the show and always keep it in the public eye...I say go for it.

Well done, guys!

ILL_Xmas1-6.jpgILL_Xmas7-12.jpgILL_Xmas13-22.jpg

Here are more screen grabs of the wonderful work on the colorized Christmas special.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Undertaking a project like this (much less a beloved and iconic TV show) is more than astounding. It is very difficult work from what I have been told and to colorize anything over an existing BW film and make it look halfway decent, is the task at hand. This is not Photoshop, an artist's rendering or an actress making herself up with similar colors and overall appearance...it is tedious modern day technology. The days of Turner use a child's color palette and redoing old classic films is hopefully long gone. 

The key here is to appreciate what has been done and hopefully with its success, the entire series might be colorized. While I am big fan of the original BW episodes (due in part to the masterful cinematographer, Karl Freund who knew exactly what he was doing to make "I Love Lucy" and Lucy herself look wonderful) if the series gets a boost to find future fans of the show and always keep it in the public eye...I say go for it.

Well done, guys!

ILL_Xmas1-6.jpgILL_Xmas7-12.jpgILL_Xmas13-22.jpg

I am so happy that my 50,000th post is in regards to this.  Absolutely love these pics from the show now that it's colorized properly.  Thanks Rickee, what a treat for an old fan who has watched them in drab black and white always wondering what the colors looked like, thanks again, what a gift from CBS and the powers that be.

Wow!  They're really very nice!  I like 'em!  Is there any way for you to post and or send the pictures individually, instead of groups of six.  I'd love to save each one individually to my computer, please!  Thanks again, for sharing!

♥ Lucy's Italian Movie - Colorized "I Love Lucy" Episode ♥

“Lucy’s Italian Movie” (a.k.a. “Grape-Stomping”) has always been one of the funniest and most popular of all I Love Lucy episodes. Now, thanks to the latest colorization technology, you can finally see exactly what kind of “local color” Lucy Ricardo really “soaked up” in her hilarious quest to win a role in an Italian film. From the elegant hotel room in Rome to the grape vats of “Turo,” experience one of I Love Lucy’s most colorful episodes just as the studio

audience did on the night it was filmed.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.yuhas/media_set?set=a.302375156475046.68874.100001076931976&type=3

50,000 posts wow! Claude that is alot of posts. Congratulations on your 50,000th post.

The color screenshots of the color christmas show are amazing. I would love to see the whole series in color. Time will tell if CBS decides to color the entire series.

Thanks, can't wait for YOUR 50th.  LOL!  And i'm absolutely sure that CBS will eventually do the entire series.

♥ Lucy's Italian Movie - Colorized "I Love Lucy" Episode ♥

“Lucy’s Italian Movie” (a.k.a. “Grape-Stomping”) has always been one of the funniest and most popular of all I Love Lucy episodes. Now, thanks to the latest colorization technology, you can finally see exactly what kind of “local color” Lucy Ricardo really “soaked up” in her hilarious quest to win a role in an Italian film. From the elegant hotel room in Rome to the grape vats of “Turo,” experience one of I Love Lucy’s most colorful episodes just as the studio

audience did on the night it was filmed.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.yuhas/media_set?set=a.302375156475046.68874.100001076931976&type=3

Nice to see the face that goes with the awesome posts.  Now I think a revision might be required in your order of inspirational people . . Lucille Ball should be first, followed by Cher, then Streisand and then Tina Turner.  You see, I would think it should be alphabetical, LOL!

Wow, so nice to see the gang in such beautiful color! I wasn't going to buy the dvd because the episode is already included in my ILL set, but rickee your post changed my mind. Like you said if sales are very good, it may influence CBS to go forward with colorizing the entire series. I definitely would love that, so I'll do my part & buy the dvd.

Claude, you hit 50,000 posts? But you're so quiet! ;)  :lucythrill:   Congrats!

Welcome, ajrich17901! :)

Congratulations, Claude. It seems like 500,000! :D ( ;) )

Welcome, arich!!

The advance copies don't appear available in Canadian Target stores. Xenophobes.

Speaking of the Canadian discrimination Brock, isn't there a way of pretending we have a US address on the computer so we can see all those videos that we are barred from seeing?  I mean SNL promos, and talk show clips, like we don't already see those anyway???  And thanks for the congrats, feels like a million to me.  I was always jealous of Dawsongirl at Sitcoms online having 100 thousand, she must be at 200 thousand by now, so i'm aiming to catch her eventually.

Well done, guys!

ILL_Xmas1-6.jpgILL_Xmas7-12.jpgILL_Xmas13-22.jpgThese are pretty nice.  Vivian's hair is especially interesting.  Desi's hair is too.  I like how  you can see different shades in their hair.  I think both Lucy and Viv need more lipstick... probably since I am so used to seeing them in DESILU COLOR on The Lucy Show lol.

I think Vivian and Bill look the most natural. Definite improvement over previous attempts, and I'm certainly not opposed to the colorization of the series in an attempt to garner new fans. I have no clue about what the coloring process is like, but I don't think it's good enough yet -- particularly for Lucy and Desi. (Of course, I didn't think the BEWITCHED colorization job was as stellar as everyone said it was, either, and that got released.) Anyway, I appreciate the effort and will definitely be watching on December 20th.

I think Vivian and Bill look the most natural. Definite improvement over previous attempts, and I'm certainly not opposed to the colorization of the series in an attempt to garner new fans. I have no clue about what the coloring process is like, but I don't think it's good enough yet -- particularly for Lucy and Desi. (Of course, I didn't think the BEWITCHED colorization job was as stellar as everyone said it was, either, and that got released.) Anyway, I appreciate the effort and will definitely be watching on December 20th.

Maybe it had something to do with Lucy's NATURAL look of TOO WHITE and Desi's being too dark, not normal looking like Viv and Bill.

Archived