Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really been following this thread, so can somebody update me? The Christmas episode IS a new colorization after all? Or is it a digitially modified version of the previous one? It certainly is an improvement, and the artists clearly put a lot of effort into it. Still not in favour of the process at all but I will not deny the work that goes into it.

Here are more screen grabs of the wonderful work on the colorized Christmas special.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Undertaking a project like this (much less a beloved and iconic TV show) is more than astounding. It is very difficult work from what I have been told and to colorize anything over an existing BW film and make it look halfway decent, is the task at hand. This is not Photoshop, an artist's rendering or an actress making herself up with similar colors and overall appearance...it is tedious modern day technology. The days of Turner use a child's color palette and redoing old classic films is hopefully long gone. 

The key here is to appreciate what has been done and hopefully with its success, the entire series might be colorized. While I am big fan of the original BW episodes (due in part to the masterful cinematographer, Karl Freund who knew exactly what he was doing to make "I Love Lucy" and Lucy herself look wonderful) if the series gets a boost to find future fans of the show and always keep it in the public eye...I say go for it.

Well done, guys!

ILL_Xmas1-6.jpgILL_Xmas7-12.jpgILL_Xmas13-22.jpg

I would have posted sooner, but Im just now getting up off the floor from fainting. 

I CANT BELIEVE HOW GORGEOUS. PRISTINE AND DAZZLING THIS IS!!

The colors seem to shimmer and pop off the screen!, and to me, the apartment colors  make the Ricardo home look beautiful and modern!

(These may be my new colors in my APT come 2014. The navy curtains are a must) 

Im no stickler for specific color matching. After all, this was shot over 50 years ago, so it'd be a little unrealistic to see a perfect picture, though this comes closes to it. (Thank God for Freund's genius that made it possible to even consider HD editing or coloring today.) Coloring the show simply makes Good TV, thats clear to see once you pop in the DVD. 

Congrats to the workers behind this tedious task on such a successful accomplishment! Big thumbs up on an undoubtedly pulchritudinous outcome -I can't wait to watch this with the rest of the world in December. SIMPLY GORGEOUS. Thanks Rickee for posting! 

Its nobody's fault but it is so hard to get natural hair colors through this process. Blondes are too yellow and Lucy's hair looks off too. Its near impossible to get authentic hair colors.

That must have been the single most difficult thing to color, her hair, as it was ORANGE and never RED and then, she also had a special tint to it that she got through doing it herself. 

Irma Kusely (Lucy's Personal Hairdresser) was quoted to saying that Lucy's hair color was "Apricot" 

true.

And a fun story Irma used to tell. Whenever anyone called her Lucy's hairdresser, she would get peeved. She would literally say, "...ask me what the difference is between a hairdresser and a hairstylist...go ahead ask me!" When the person would barely get out "what's the difference between a hairdresser and a hairstyl......" before they even finished the word "hairstylist" she would jump in with all her enthusiasm and yell, "MONEY!!"   :D

She was one talented, amazing lady!

true.

And a fun story Irma used to tell. Whenever anyone called her Lucy's hairdresser, she would get peeved. She would literally say, "...ask me what the difference is between a hairdresser and a hairstylist...go ahead ask me!" When the person would barely get out "what's the difference between a hairdresser and a hairstyl......" before they even finished the word "hairstylist" she would jump in with all her enthusiasm and yell, "MONEY!!"   :D

She was one talented, amazing lady!

Tell the one about her getting that SPOT out of Desi's favorite lucky shirt . . .

Just got the color dvd today at Wal-Mart. And what can I say but amazing just amazing!! The colors are so clear and bright. The shows look like they might have been filmed in color not black and white. The color job is just so good. To everyone involved in the production of this dvd I say thank you for doing a great job. After seeing the three color shows makes me want to see the entire series in color. CBS please consider colorizing the entire series plus the Lucy Desi Comedy Hours and the first season of The Lucy Show.

On the dvd the opening and closing credits feature a pink heart background. Seems I remember Dann Cahn say that the heart  background was to be blue. Seems he used the same blue title backgound he used for Forever Darling. Am I correct about this?

Also why did CBS not use the original opening and closing credits on the 1989 and 1990 Christmas show airings? They had new computer created credits in 1989 and 1990.

Now looking forward to the December 20th CBS airing of I Love Lucy.

I think the opening a closing you mentioned, with the pink background are/were the correct colors. I asked Gregg Oppenheimer when the colorized "Scotland" was released, and he said that they were the right colors.  I don't know how he found out, or how he knew, but he said either it was researched, or somebody remembered.  Oh, in addition to asking Gregg Oppenheimer about it, I also asked Legend Films, and they told me the same thing that Gregg did, about the original colors for the heart on satin opening credits.  Apparently, it was done in color, and filmed in color.  But, was presented in black & white, for that's how the episodes were shown.

Its nobody's fault but it is so hard to get natural hair colors through this process. Blondes are too yellow and Lucy's hair looks off too. Its near impossible to get authentic hair colors.

Couldn't agree more, Brian. Finally got it and gave it a whirl but frankly, I find it "much ado about nothing"! While I must acknowledge and appreciate the work done by the many craftsmen, I can't honestly say I'm impressed:  Lucy's hair was never that color and looks absolutely orange! Lips are off too.  Viv and Bill look pretty good but it is after all, I love Lucy and if they can't get the main character right, I just don't see the point.  :lucyhehe:

For all you folks who've tired of watching it as it was intended and have to have the show this way to enjoy, more power to you:  if this "test" proves successful between the DVD sales and the broadcast airing next month -- and I actually do hope the ratings go through the roof! -- more power to you. It seems inevitable that the entire series will soon be colorized but not to appease fans or find a way to keep the show fresh and enticing for the younguns:  ILL has and always be a cash cow for CBS (and Desilu Too, for that matter, I'm sure!) and if they think this endeavor will make a buck, I'm sure it'll happen. :lucyeww:

Please don't take any of this personal, this is this lone wolf's opinion; I know I'm outnumbered but I think my "two centavos" are just as apt as anyone elses, however this will probably be my last word on the subject since I'm not only away from a computer most of the weekend, I don't see any need to continue to waste my energy spitting against the wind, so save your brickbats again, this is just my opinion.

Enjoy your "candy colored Christmas":  I'll happily wait for ILL on Blu-Ray in 2014!  :lucythrill:

Just got the color dvd today at Wal-Mart. And what can I say but amazing just amazing!! The colors are so clear and bright. The shows look like they might have been filmed in color not black and white. The color job is just so good. To everyone involved in the production of this dvd I say thank you for doing a great job. After seeing the three color shows makes me want to see the entire series in color. CBS please consider colorizing the entire series plus the Lucy Desi Comedy Hours and the first season of The Lucy Show.

On the dvd the opening and closing credits feature a pink heart background. Seems I remember Dann Cahn say that the heart  background was to be blue. Seems he used the same blue title backgound he used for Forever Darling. Am I correct about this?

Also why did CBS not use the original opening and closing credits on the 1989 and 1990 Christmas show airings? They had new computer created credits in 1989 and 1990.

Now looking forward to the December 20th CBS airing of I Love Lucy.

Wow, your review makes it even more of a must to BUY and soon!  L O V E your L U C Y avatar by the way, just amazing, she looks so sophisticated there.

Couldn't agree more, Brian. Finally got it and gave it a whirl but frankly, I find it "much ado about nothing"! While I must acknowledge and appreciate the work done by the many craftsmen, I can't honestly say I'm impressed:  Lucy's hair was never that color and looks absolutely orange! Lips are off too.  Viv and Bill look pretty good but it is after all, I love Lucy and if they can't get the main character right, I just don't see the point.  :lucyhehe:

For all you folks who've tired of watching it as it was intended and have to have the show this way to enjoy, more power to you:  if this "test" proves successful between the DVD sales and the broadcast airing next month -- and I actually do hope the ratings go through the roof! -- more power to you. It seems inevitable that the entire series will soon be colorized but not to appease fans or find a way to keep the show fresh and enticing for the younguns:  ILL has and always be a cash cow for CBS (and Desilu Too, for that matter, I'm sure!) and if they think this endeavor will make a buck, I'm sure it'll happen. :lucyeww:

Please don't take any of this personal, this is this lone wolf's opinion; I know I'm outnumbered but I think my "two centavos" are just as apt as anyone elses, however this will probably be my last word on the subject since I'm not only away from a computer most of the weekend, I don't see any need to continue to waste my energy spitting against the wind, so save your brickbats again, this is just my opinion.

Enjoy your "candy colored Christmas":  I'll happily wait for ILL on Blu-Ray in 2014!  :lucythrill:

Thanks Mr Grinch but aren't you a bit early to ruin everybody's Christmas present from CBS? :gary:

The best thing about this new dvd is that CBS gives us both black and white and color show options. We have color for the color fans and black and white for the black and white fans. This new dvd  should please color and black and white I Love Lucy fans. :ill:

Oh you'll always have somebody who's never happy with anything.  But I can't wait and your reviews make me even more impatient to t see the whole series this way.

Archived