Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

Just out of curiosity, has it been confirmed that they are indeed colorizing the series?

Nope, we're just assuming that if they did three shows and the response is good enough to even show in prime time 62 years later, that they will EVENTUALLY do the entire series, but it's ok if they skip Drafted though, LOL!

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this photo is spot on with color, its a bit faded and off in color, but its color no less. 

My grandmother once owned 2 original ILL prop pictures that were found by the fireplace in the 2nd Ricardo Apt.

and the frame was a blue than green.

tumblr_mvtdkeGWM41r7jnmao1_400.jpg

Wow, that's awesome that you have that!  But isn't it possible that it got rematted at some point? Looking at the picture itself, the colors look the same as in the Marilyn photo, it's just the matting that's different.

Yes I did hear that they are working on colorizing the series now. But will they release a few color shows at a time on dvd. Or will they release full color season sets. I hope full color season sets or better a complete color boxed set of the entire series full of new extra features.. The most important thing is that they are colorizing the show.

If they're going to colorize one season at a time, I hope they start with season two and perhaps never colorize the first season at all.  I mean, if the point is to draw in younger viewers, if their first exposure to ILL is a S1 episode like "Drafted," or many of the others that have uneven plots, or require way too much suspension of disbelief, it might wind up repelling some of those viewers. But if their first exposure is anything from S2 through S5, they'll be addicted for sure.

For wartime housing here in Canada, for returning soldiers, they would paint two walls of one room one color and the other two walls another color.  As for ME, never painted anything BEIGE, too boring, always went with the boldest choices as do all the fancy homes of the stars or rich people in general.  Only decorators know what goes with what and they can sometimes REALLY surprise you with their uncommon choices.  Now getting back to the show, why do I recall always reading in the old days that Karl Freund had chosen almost always various shades of grey for photography purposes?

Yes, I've read that, too.  And that recreation of the apartment set that was traveling around the country for several years awhile back was painted gray.  I'm assuming that's just another bit of misinformation that developed at some point and never got knocked down, so everyone started believing it -- along the lines of Lucie Arnaz appeared in the last episode, or Vivian Vance's contract required her to be 15 lbs overweight, or Lucy and Desi played Lucy and Larry Lopez in the pilot episode.  But the color photos and color movies that have emerged in recent years have disproved that whole gray apartment claim.

They were blue. I guarantee you, the photo of Lucy as Marilyn above is most certainly correct. And this not a real apartment, it's a set.  :lucyeww:

And I just Googled "1950s kitchen" and the first thing that popped up was a green kitchen.  :)  My house that I wrote about that had blue walls in the living room also had a green kitchen.  And the house was built in 1952.  So for me, those colors are absolutely perfect and representative of that time period.

I got my copy from Amazon in the mail today, and I LOVED it. I had seen Scotland and Christmas, but hadn't seen Italy... It was so surreal. I found myself wishing for more episodes to be released. I can see this easily sparking America's love for Lucy again. Imagine Lucy in Primetime again, only each week, a new colorized episode is aired! I would pretty much dig that, and CBS would reap massive benefits from it.

Yes, I've read that, too.  And that recreation of the apartment set that was traveling around the country for several years awhile back was painted gray.  I'm assuming that's just another bit of misinformation that developed at some point and never got knocked down, so everyone started believing it -- along the lines of Lucie Arnaz appeared in the last episode, or Vivian Vance's contract required her to be 15 lbs overweight, or Lucy and Desi played Lucy and Larry Lopez in the pilot episode.  But the color photos and color movies that have emerged in recent years have disproved that whole gray apartment claim.

Hey, if Lucy herself was convinced her nose on fire BIT was NOT planned, anything is possible.

I got my copy from Amazon in the mail today, and I LOVED it. I had seen Scotland and Christmas, but hadn't seen Italy... It was so surreal. I found myself wishing for more episodes to be released. I can see this easily sparking America's love for Lucy again. Imagine Lucy in Primetime again, only each week, a new colorized episode is aired! I would pretty much dig that, and CBS would reap massive benefits from it.

I think the show would probably get better ratings than MOST of the shows that are on today.

Wow, that's awesome that you have that!  But isn't it possible that it got rematted at some point? Looking at the picture itself, the colors look the same as in the Marilyn photo, it's just the matting that's different.

I don't think so, there was a stamp on them with Desilu's logo, date, and address, with brown paper protecting the back of it.

I have a few pictures that show the ILL apt in color and they are blue there as well. 

I don't think so, there was a stamp on them with Desilu's logo, date, and address, with brown paper protecting the back of it.

I have a few pictures that show the ILL apt in color and they are blue there as well. 

Really?  I've only seen that one picture.  Could you possibly post some?  Do you have any of the kitchen or bedroom?

If I may take a moment to make something crystal clear, before any more unnecessary snide remarks are hurled in either direction, I don't really care if you guys want to watch ILL or anything else which originated in B&W in color if the powers that be at CBS are greedy enough to go through with this transmogrified version of a classic work perfect just the way it was created....They could care less about the fans or what they want or "future generations" getting hooked on the series, all they care about is making a buck, so if they can, they will; so, no doubt you'll soon all get your wish...

I'm perfectly content with my ILL Complete Series box and hopefully as discussed, look forward to Blu-rays early next year.

Can't wait! 

:D

Lol! I hear ya! I'm beginning to see who is an actual Lucy fan vs someone who just likes her show on this board.  :lucyhmm:

As a long time Lucy fan I like, love, adore anything that is associated with Lucille Ball. She the best of the best. She can make me happy by just watching her shows. To me she is pure comedy magic.

And now my Lucy  COLOR  wish list-

I LOVE LUCY IN COLOR

THE LUCY DESI COMEDY HOUR  IN COLOR

THE LUCY SHOW FIRST SEASON IN COLOR

After watching the color christmas dvd I am sold on the idea of I Love Lucy in color. Just an amazing I Love Lucy dvd.

As a long time Lucy fan I like, love, adore anything that is associated with Lucille Ball. She the best of the best. She can make me happy by just watching her shows. To me she is pure comedy magic.

And now my Lucy  COLOR  wish list-

I LOVE LUCY IN COLOR

THE LUCY DESI COMEDY HOUR  IN COLOR

THE LUCY SHOW FIRST SEASON IN COLOR

After watching the color christmas dvd I am sold on the idea of I Love Lucy in color. Just an amazing I Love Lucy dvd.

Seeing as you are such a big fan . . . . remember that there was also a whole lot of Lucy BEYOND her shows and specials, her talk show appearances, game show ones, her many many appearances on other stars' shows and tributes, and award shows and documentaries etc etc etc , wow, what a great idea, I also want Mr and Mrs in color and then they can start colorizing her better movies and  . . . .

Yes I am a fan of her entire career. I try to collect her game show appearences movies and specials. I have many of her Password, Password Plus, Super Password, What's My Line and I've Got A Secret shows recorded from Game Show Network on vhs tape. I have almost all of her movies on vhs and dvd. Plus I have recorded anything that I knew she would be in from tv since the 1980's. I  have a large vhs tape and dvd collection of her work. I recorded The Lucy Shows from Nick at Nite back in 1991 and Here's Lucy from Pax tv in 1998. I like the super rare dvds that come out with Lucy like the color christmas dvd. The vcr and dvd recorder are a Lucy fans best friend. I even recorded the I Love Lucy Christmas special in 1989 and the color broadcast in 1990. I collect Lucy books, magazines and newspapers that had a story about her. If it's about Lucy I want it.  I was a We Love Lucy fan club member back in the early 1990's when the club would send out their Star Notes magazine.and Lucy pictures. The fan club was my number one source of Lucy information.  The fan club web site is lucyfan.com.  But not much is going on now with the fan club web site it is now kind of quite.  Now  the internet is my Lucy information source.

You Tube is a great source to find and watch many rare Lucy things.

Yeah, but thanks to VCR's, I was able to record all those things she did back in the eighties, thank GOD!  And try for the talk shows, they're much better than those stupid game shows where her capabilities were diminishing with age, Passwords from the sixties were great though, she was still sharp back then.

Archived