Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only it would remain there! ;)  :vanda:

Yea I know. But I dont want to spend $10 to have it on DVD. Having shows online is so much convenient since we spend so much time on the computer and video streaming apps. I dont know about you guys, but ive always hated buying physical media because of the amount of space it takes in the house. And then you have to scramble thru the DVDs to find the episode you wish to see. You get lazy and you prefer not to even bother. If its online it so much easier to select the episode and get right to the scene you are looking for right there and then. 

Yea I know. But I dont want to spend $10 to have it on DVD. Having shows online is so much convenient since we spend so much time on the computer and video streaming apps. I dont know about you guys, but ive always hated buying physical media because of the amount of space it takes in the house. And then you have to scramble thru the DVDs to find the episode you wish to see. You get lazy and you prefer not to even bother. If its online it so much easier to select the episode and get right to the scene you are looking for right there and then. 

Im just like you Joker10. I would always buy my DVDs, burn them on to my iTunes and play them on my apple tv or computer. Having it online is so much more convenient seeing how players like roku, psx, or Apple TV- that stream TV and viewing content online, you don't have to bother with your old DVDs and popping them in, when its so easy to go right to it online. 

Some of us would find that a tad too complicated.  Yes, I do have dvds all over the house and yes, it is annoying when wanting to dig a particular episode out but come on, most people who are fans are now older and my way's less complicated.  Can't you just borrow a friends' copy and put it in YOUR collection anyway?

Some of us would find that a tad too complicated.  Yes, I do have dvds all over the house and yes, it is annoying when wanting to dig a particular episode out but come on, most people who are fans are now older and my way's less complicated.  Can't you just borrow a friends' copy and put it in YOUR collection anyway?

It doesn't have to be either or. Im sure CBS has the ability to accommodate 

It doesn't have to be either or. Im sure CBS has the ability to accommodate 

Huh?  :lucywow:

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on this (ha! as is more often than not...usually able to see both sides! ;)

Partly due to "my generation" I guess and seeing & having so many ever-increasingly sophisticated "toys", I not only enjoy acquiring the hardware (VCRs, DVD Recorder, Blu-Ray etc.) but the software and accompanying material that goes along with using the aforesaid so... much as I enjoy streaming movies & TV via Netfilix and Hulu, for my beloved fave shows and a "craving" to see a particular/favorite episode, I find it not only a cinch but a blessing to be able to run over and grab a disc and pop it in, at will, to see almost any show I've ever loved.  :lucyhmm:

Anyone remember when you actually had to wait for the show to AIR on broadcast television??? ;)

The early version of the Christmas show was ENTIRELY colorized. It was only when they replayed it or issued it out on dvd that they had those wraparound scenes only.

I'm not one to question the veracity of my elders :lucythrill: , but are you SURE?  I remember the original CBS showing as JUST the present day (1956) scenes being colorized and NOT the baby show flashbacks from 52-53.  Maybe you were wearing your rose-tinted glasses with the heart-shaped frames like Elton John.

I'm a little confused.  The upcoming show: is it the SAME colorization or not?  A Facebooker posted this website link that offered a "preview", but if it has already been run on the network twice and released on DVD,how can it be previewed?  I'm looking forward to the "Grape Stomping" colorization.  Haven't seen it yet

http://www.parade.com/234540/viannguyen/first-look-watch-a-preview-of-the-colorized-i-love-lucy-christmas-special/#.UpyQTh0-uwk.twitter

I'm a little confused.  The upcoming show: is it the SAME colorization or not?  A Facebooker posted this website link that offered a "preview", but if it has already been run on the network twice and released on DVD,how can it be previewed?  I'm looking forward to the "Grape Stomping" colorization.  Haven't seen it yet

I think CBS is appealing to all viewers and not just I Love Lucy faithfuls- 

For some, they have no idea that there is a DVD out, that there was a prior broadcast and may be  surprised to see something like this for their first time- like I was when I saw it first in the 90s when it was released on VHS (with Lucy in the red tone on the cover)  Its good to know that 98 percent of those who visited the site, will watch, according to the poll found at the bottom of the site.

I think it proves what so many of us were saying-the world is ready to see ILL in color, but ONLY IF its done to the best that it can be done, and I think, if they get enough backing, and enough workers, it will happen! :D wooohooooo. Long live Lucy!!!! 

I'm just glad they're running two.  Like a lot of 6th season shows, the "present day" Christmas scenes lack the spark of the Jess days;  and the baby flashbacks are more heartwarming than hilarious.   I don't know if the baby episodes had been part of the ILL reruns up to that date in 1956, but seems like I read somewhere that they were not, so it was probably a thrill for TV audiences to see them again.  The "Ricky, this is it" mayhem is hysterical; very well choreographed. We may take it for granted now because it's been shown SO much...and copied by a couple of other series, for instance in one of the better Mothers In Law.  Even All in the Family blatantly stole from the episode.  Don't remember the scene where Gloria is rushed to the hospital, but Archie is appearing in a show  at his lodge (obviously in a woo-doo number) and must go to the hospital in blackface..

We've seen the grape stomping scene in "Italian Movie" often and it's still hysterical, but it's usually the trimmed-down version.  We forget that the rest of the episode is also superb. And if they were going to colorized ONE episode, I suppose this was the best choice so we can see what shade of purple Lucy is after she "socks up luckel collar".

I Love Lucy's Europe episodes deserve special kudos as having the most authentic-feeling locations of any series that took a trip -- on a soundstage. Not only were the sets superb, the supporting and bit player casting went for realism rather than central casting ethnics, such as Mel Blanc with an accent. 

Timing is always so interesting....I was just thinking -- not that I watch much CBS these days -- but has anyone seen a promo for this?? It is on in just a couple of days, after all!  :lucythrill:

Jeez, Eye Network, get with it! :lucyeww:

Timing is always so interesting....I was just thinking -- not that I watch much CBS these days -- but has anyone seen a promo for this?? It is on in just a couple of days, after all!  :lucythrill:

I was thinking the same thing. I can just imagine unsuspecting people tuning in and thinking they are in the wrong place finding nearly 60-year-old programming. lol

Haven't seen much on the TV, but Ive seen NOTHING BUT Ads and articles online. Im assuming CBS is targeting the younger audience who don't do much scheduled TV watching but use their phones, tablets, and computers as their source for TV shows. I think its a great way to put that energy of  'whatever you do this particular night, make sure you find a TV and watch LUCY' into the mix. 

One guy I was messaging to told me he found the date and information out from my FB page, and from there, made a reminder on his phone to watch it and then  programmed his TVs to watch and record it...all on that iPad mini thingamagighum and in less than 5 minutes. Times are changing.

Im glad theres publicity, and Im happy to hear from Lucie, but I just wished they would have switched Grape Stomping with Scotland in enough time. Its just a better coloring job, its a more livelier show and is basically a musical special in and of itself. The Italian episode brings it back to the days of old and doesn't end the entire hour well IMO. Not as much as Scotland. It would have been fun to have had a small clip of Lucy going into the wine vat, and then fighting, and then cutting to the end, in a small SPECIAL 4-5 minute promo for the DVD in between the two shows. It still serves its purpose but doesn't make it drab at all. Im hoping people will stick around for the second part and will pardon.

Archived