Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time it aired (1989?) it was the number 1 show of the week.  And wasn't the first airing un-colorized?  The colorized version aired the next year and was #6 so I was surprised it didn't join Charlie Brown, Frosty and Rudolph as an annual Christmas event.

I may be confusing the #1 status with the hour-long pilot episode airing which I think was also #1.Don't remember what year that was.  One thing I'm sure of:  all three airings made the top ten.

Can anyone fact-check me plz?

Nielsen ratings in the old days were figured from 1200 homes representing a cross section of demographics (or so I assume).  There was another ratings company ARB that sent out diaries for the week where you listed the programs you watched, who was in the household and who was watching.  We actually got one once and though my mother wouldn't admit to watching tv during the day, I fudged and had her watching CBS's 9am Lucy Show EVERY morning.  (I was in school).

The 1200 homes Nielsen sample came under fire a lot but they stuck to it.  I don't know HOW they can figure ratings today what with DVRs and other methods.  Perhaps it's all tracked using NSA methods.

We can't please everybody unfortunately. Btw, I'm still trying to get over the....if you'll pardon the expression...."green" kitchen.  :lucyeww:  Lol!

I was amazed at the HD look of the black and white flaskbacks. I've watched that song tons of times and could tell that Lucy was crying due to her running mascara, but tonight you could see the tears glisten. So crisp looking, even the sets in color.

I also think the sets faired better in color than the people did.

Adding my two cents from the "everybody's a critic" dept.....I hated the announcer at the beginning. Was that necessary? Didn't like the voice either. I thought the "seamless" presentation was a bit jarring going from one show to the next so quickly...and the credits were intriguing....in 2013 everyone in the cast was a star!  I don't think even Bill and Viv were billed as stars originally. Weren't they only added at the credits as "featuring" toward the end of the series. Anyhow, great to see my favorite show on prime time in COLOR!

Well I think CBS did a great job with the special presentation. The announcer voice was kind of odd. Wonder who the announcer was? The credits were new for this special. And CBS did advertise the color dvd at the end. Now to me it looks like no program content was cut for more commercials. Now I could be wrong. Anyone know if anything was cut?

Well I think CBS did a great job with the special presentation. The announcer voice was kind of odd. Wonder who the announcer was? The credits were new for this special. And CBS did advertise the color dvd at the end. Now to me it looks like no program content was cut for more commercials. Now I could be wrong. Anyone know if anything was cut?

There were many things cut, including trimmed flashbacks. The most glaring to me were in Italian Movie of the train trip and the first scene at the hotel.

The original commercial breaks were roomy enough, but I guess today's commercials are just roomier.

There were cuts. I know Fred had another line after the one about the Coliseum. The Christmas one seemed short but I'm not sure what was missing.

They cut out the Joe DiMaggio hitting 80 home runs in that hat box. I wonder if they decided it was too topical.

Archived