LUCY-DESI MUSEUM - May 15, 1996

Found a document titled above (at 59 Lucy Lane yard sale) which has some VERY INTERESTING facts and figures within:

Anyone interested?

I've found some EYE-OPENING dates for inclusion into the chronology that speak DIRECTLY to our recent angst and argumentation about Lucille's 'druthers'; about the NEW NAME festival of comedy; whether or not we are 17 years later getting far astray of Lucille Ball, etc.

Some of this stuff rights the 'tipping' scale....

Let's see who really wants to KNOW:

JK

I'm nearly 'pooped' for today, trying to get it all in the chonology; have four more articles to reproduce; I'll start in the a.m. sending them YOUR way.... This may help us in our recent 'harshness' posts/threads involving what Lucille 'wanted'; and other things were made even more clear to me in the reading.

This document, by the way, is a 22-page document crammed with good 'stuff'....

Brock, if you were there, wonder why this document wasn't available at that time. I know I had never seen it. It must have been in print (5/15/96) and the Festival was the 24-26, wasn't it? Oh, well....TOMORROW - THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN.

Love, JK

I'm nearly 'pooped' for today, trying to get it all in the chonology; have four more articles to reproduce; I'll start in the a.m. sending them YOUR way.... This may help us in our recent 'harshness' posts/threads involving what Lucille 'wanted'; and other things were made even more clear to me in the reading.

This document, by the way, is a 22-page document crammed with good 'stuff'....

Brock, if you were there, wonder why this document wasn't available at that time. I know I had never seen it. It must have been in print (5/15/96) and the Festival was the 24-26, wasn't it? Oh, well....TOMORROW - THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN.

Love, JK

Sorry, Brock, in the re-reading of this thread, I see it was luvsbway who was here in '96.... Loving you, JK

P.S. HERE IT COMES....

Is this thing like a newspaper, pink cover with the old Lucy/ Desi museum logo on the front?

Yes; and here is 'most of it' re-typed for all to see....then, we can have another 'debate' about what we know, knew, and want to know now.... sorry for thinking it was Brock who said he was there. JK

Yes; and here is 'most of it' re-typed for all to see....then, we can have another 'debate' about what we know, knew, and want to know now.... sorry for thinking it was Brock who said he was there. JK

Damn it; lost it; got an error message saying the post was too short; tried to copy and delete; lost the whole damn thing; any ideas, Brock, in case I can't get the whole thing ....AGAIN? AND, HOW DO I FIND THE AUTOSAVED MATERIAL???? JK

All these entries are from 5/15/1996:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Various 'other' story headlines for grand opening: Hometown Celebrates Lucy, by Paul Kalomiris; Jamestown To Officially Adopt Desi Arnaz; Lucy Has A Ball With Vows; Museum Brings Permanent Tribute to Lucy and Desi, by Paul Kalomiris; Thanks, Lucy, editorial reprinted from 4/26/89; Newhart To Attend Opening of Museum; City Readies For Return - Desi Arnaz Comes To Wife's Hometown, reprinted from 2/56; Bush Played Large Role In Museum; Vaudeville Played At City Palace; City Pitches In For Museum; Auction Bids Farewell To City; Short History of LucyFest Has Long List Of Memories; Wallace Plans To Leave Fans Laughing with Act; Lucy's Charm Always Rang True; Name Change Is A Sign Of The Times; 'Lighten Up!' A Bright Addition; Remembering Lucy - Friendship Gives Birth To A Comedienne and Lasts A Lifetime, by Bob Houston, reprinted from 4/1989; Laughs, Milestones In Museum Exhibits; Lucy On Broadway Is Highlighted In Musical; Lucy Fan Club Meets In July In California; as well as Lucy: In Her Own Words, a three-parter appearing in The Post-Journal, February 1953,”[see also events and other important dates: 2/5/23; 2/8/56; 9/23/78; 4/1/96; 5/19/96, 24-26/96; 7/20/96; 9/20,21/96], published this date in 1996.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – City Pitches In For Museum - The Memorial Day weekend marks the grand opening of Jamestown's and indeed the nation's newest attraction - The Lucy-Desi Mueum, in Jamestown's theatre district is the culmination grants and funding by Bush Industries, Inc.; Arts Council for Chautauqua County; The Gebbie Foundation, other county resources; and donations by Lucie Arnaz raised by auctions for that purpose. Construction by local contractors and Hadley Exhibits, Buffalo, NY., got underway in early April, preparing for grand opening May 25.” published this date in 1996.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Auction Bids Farewell To City - “This year's Lucy Collection Auction will go west, to Burbank, California instead of held in Jamestown. The annual auction of Lucy collectibles will be held in conjunction with Loving Lucy '96, the first convention of Lucy fans, sponsored by the We Love Lucy Fan Club. The auction will be held 4-7 p.m., July 20, Burbank Airport Hilton,” published this date in 1996.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Hometown Celebrates Lucy, by Paul Kalomiris - “The name may have changed; but one thing remains constant: laughs will be plentiful in Jamestown on Memorial Day weekend. Downtown will, once again, take on a carnival atmosphere, with rides, games and summertime refreshments for all ages. A second festival for the dates of September 20, 21, The Lighten Up! Festival of New Comedy sets off on its maiden voyage,” published this date in 1996.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Museum Brings Permanent Tribute to Lucy and Desi, by Paul Kalomiris; “With its opening, The Lucy-Desi Mueum in downtown Jamestown will become a permanent tribute to the lives and work of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. During the Hometown Celebration Weekend; Memorial Day weekend festival, formerly known as LucyFest; the Arts Council for Chautauqua County is 'adopting' Desi, honoring him along with Lucille, at a champagne brunch. Exhibits include: 'An Introduction to Laughter, Comedy and Humor', as shown in the work of Lucille and Desi; 'Where Did Lucy's Comedy Come From', exploring the history of comedy and sources of Lucille's humor; 'Types of Humor', including jokes, puns, limericks, cartoon, riddles, bloopers and others; a look at laughter as cure in 'Ask Dr. Lucy: Laughter as Medicine'; as well as 'Technological Innovation in the work of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz'. Included in the Museum are clips of (“I Love Lucy”) in which Lucille mentions Jamestown; portions of Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, produced by their daughter, Lucie Arnaz. The Museum houses an exclusive collection of the Arnazes clothing and other personal effects,” published this date in 1996. , [see also events and other important dates: 2/5/23; 2/8/56; 9/23/78; 4/1/96; 5/19/96, 24-26/96; 7/20/96; 9/20,21/96],

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Newhart To Attend Opening of Museum - “The Lucy-Desi Museum is proud to have Bob Newhart as part of the grand opening of the Museum,” published this date in 1996.

Let's see how this goes!!!! Anyone get the 'other' post???? If not, all dates mentioned above, I will post in separate postings. JK Enjoy!!!! Any questions, I'll try to reply - as I could see 2 folks were already reading the post I initially just did and LOST...... I'm sorry; don't know what exactly is happening!!! JK

2/5/1923:

The Palace Theater (now The Reg Lenna Civic Center), Jamestown, NY, was a grand vaudeville and movie theater, originally costing over one million dollars. Trolley cars deposited ticket holders, where ushers, in starched shirts and tuxedos, worked full-time for $15 per week. Children patrons paid $.10; Adults, $.25 for balcony; $.35 main floor seating. Opening night was billed as 'Vaudeville Bill of Unusual Excellence and Motion Picture, Lionel Barrymore in The Face in the Fog. Vaudeville was the most popular form of entertainment. A young, irrepressible Lucille Ball watched the vaudeville and silent movie geniuses who inspired her own career. Lucille would watch; then, go home to act out the plots and stories for her family she had seen at the theatre. Her love of mimicry and performing developed into a passion for comedy when she saw a vaudeville show featuring comic monologist, Julius Tannen. 'He was like magic - this magnificent man enthralling you with his stories - he changed my life', says Lucille. 'After watching him perform, I knew it was a very serious and wonderful thing to make people laugh.' In 1926, Nikitas D. Dipson bought the theater; leased it to Warner Brothers until they terminated the lease in 1950. Dipson then remodeled; and, from the 50s on, the Dipson's Palace Theatre was primarily a movie theater; in 1981, the last commercial movie was shown. In serious disrepair and slated for demolition, a successful community volunteer clean-up caused the re-opening of the Palace Theater as a performing arts hall and multi-purpose facility. In 1984, complete renovation occurred, via a gift of one million and a half dollars by the Reginald and Elizabeth Lenna family, which kicked off a capital campaign for three and a half million dollars, inspiring the Board to change the name to The Reg Lenna Civic Center, and which will play a major role in the grand opening festivities of the Lucy-Desi Museum, May 24-26, 1996; [see also events and other important dates: 2/8/56; 9/23/78; 5/19/89, 4/1/96; 5/15/96, 5/24-26/96; 7/20/96; 9/20,21/96], opening this date in 1923.

2/8/56:

Lucille Ball appears, as Guest Panelist, CBS' (“I've Got a Secret”); Desi Arnaz is the Mystery Guest; Garry Moore, Moderator, Bern Bennett, Announcer, with panelists, Bill Cullen, Jayne Meadows, and Henry Morgan, airing this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on MGM Parade, George Murphy, host, to plug their current film, Forever Darling, guesting, also, archivally, Nelson Eddy, Jeannette MacDonald, and Lena Horne, airing this date in 1956.

9/23/78:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Lucy's Charm Always Rang True - [excerpts only:] Telephone conversation with Lucille Ball - arrangements made via friend, Marion Strong Van Vlack and Howard McClay - notifies Lucille it is putting her and John Wayne on the cover of our TV Magazine for General Electric All-Star Anniversary Show; wanted some questions answered about the hometown; Lucille graciously replied: 'memories of Celoron are pretty good; didn't spend much time in Jamestown, except during my illness;' Celoron influence: 'Lillian Appleby;' Sense of humor? 'I'm a very serious person; not much of a sense of humor; I give credit to my writers for that;' Your critics?; 'Some helpful; I appreciate the good; others, the bad, I've learned from;' 'I like to be alone; but, not long periods of it; I'm a people person; a game player; a reader; a swimmer; I walk; take care of my garden;'” . . . published this date in 1978.

4/1/96:

The Post-Journal: Bush Played Large Role In Museum - “Paul Bush, president of Bush Industries, Inc., and Philip Morris, executive director of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, are pleased to announce the beginning of construction on The Lucy-Desi Museum,212 Pine, Jamestown, NY, next to the Town Club. The Lucy-Desi Museum is a result of community involvement and support of the above-named entities, plus The Gebbie Foundation, as well as items donated by Lucie Arnaz for that purpose. Construction is underway for a May 25 grand opening [see 5/25/96 for further information]. Bush states: ' . . . because the museum gives us the opportunity to finally exhibit well the materials given to us, we have been able to make a long-desired change in what has traditionally been the 'LucyFest' weekend. We not have an attraction, the museum, that will sponsor two festival events, an opening and a closing weekend'; this year occurring May 24-26, and September 20, 21,” published in 1956.

5/19/89:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Short History Of LucyFest Has Long List Of Memories [see other articles: 2/5/23, 2/8/56, 9/23/78; 4/1/96, 5/15/96, 5/24-26/96, 7/20/96; 9/20,1/96] - “Jamestown local civic and arts leaders announced the creation of the Lucille Ball Festival of New Comedy - LucyFest. Lucille Ball had planned to be in Jamestown, her hometown for the announcement and was to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Jamestown Community College (JCC). Sadly, a few weeks before the announcement, the legendary comedienne passed away. Lucie Arnaz stepped in to receive the doctorate in her mother's name; and became the supporter of LucyFest. The design and organization of LucyFest was spearheaded by Philip Morris, The Arts Council for Chautauqua County . The Arts Council for Chautauqua County, the Reg Lenna Civic Center and the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce are serving jointly as executive producers of LucyFest. Reginald and Elizabeth Lenna; the Sheldon Foundation; and the Chautauqua Region Community Foundation provided seed money for the festival, enabling it to lay a solid foundation and to grow. As a result of the growth of the festival, plans for a museum honoring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have blossomed into a brand new, national attraction in Jamestown's downtown theatre district. When Jamestown approached Lucille about an annual festival in her honor, it was her wish that the festival encourage and celebrate new comedy, and the September event features the Gravity Free Film and Video Competition to encourage new comedy,” on this date in 1989.

5/24-26/96:

Lucy-Desi Museum has its grand opening tomorrow, a project of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, Jamestown, NY - today, start of the weekend street carnival, through Sunday, May 26, with returning headliner, Lew Black, comedian, [see 5/21-23, 1993; 9/20, 21/96], at the Reg Lenna Civic Center, on this date in 1996.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Jamestown To Officially Adopt Desi Arnaz - “As part of the grand opening of the Lucy-Desi Museum, Jamestown will officially 'adopt' Desi Arnaz,” published this date in 1996.

5/24/96:

Lucy-Desi Museum has its grand opening, a project of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, Jamestown, NY (to the present, has welcomed more than 150,000 visitors from more than 30 countries), a festival dedicated to the memory of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, [see related article 4/1/96, for lack of positive date of article] on this date in 1996.

5/26/96

Lucy-Desi Museum had its grand opening May 24, a project of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, Jamestown, NY - today finalizes the weekend street carnival, on this date in 1996.

Bob Newhart, television actor and comedian, headlines the Lucy-Desi Memorial Day Festival in Jamestown, NY, Reg Lenna Civic Center; capped off with a gala reception, Tracy Plaza, City Hall, with refreshments and live music, on this date in 1996.

7/20/96:

LA Times: Loving Lucy '96, held in Burbank Airport Hilton, first national festival honoring Lucille Ball. [Courtesy: The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY, see 5/15/96] - 'This year's Lucy Collection Auction will go west, to Burbank, California instead of held in Jamestown. The annual auction of Lucy collectibles will be held in conjunction with Loving Lucy '96, the first convention of Lucy fans, sponsored by the We Love Lucy Fan Club. The auction will be held 4-7 p.m'”, published this date in 1996.

It's 10:02, here in sunny western NY; I'm going to go stick a straw into my vodka bottle!!!!! I don't know when I've been any more frustrated than i am right now....navigating back and forth between the chronology and this site has been a lesson in patience this morning....tee hee

MORE tomorrow - Loving each of my readers, JK

Forgot one more I have typed:

9/20/96:

Lighten Up! Festival of New Comedy, a wrap-up to the Lucy-Desi Museum season, featuring the Gravity Free film and video competition; George Wallace, comedian, headlines, sponsored by Paragon Cable, [see also events and other important dates: 2/5/23; 2/8/56; 9/23/78; 5/19/89; 4/1/96; 5/15/96, 5/24-26/96; 7/20/96; 9/21/96], commencing this date in 1996.

9/21/96:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - “ When the Arts Council for Chautauqua County first broached the idea of an annual comedy festival with Lucille, it was her wish that the event celebrate and encourage new comedy. The maiden voyage of this project, Lighten Up! Festival of New Comedy, Jamestown, NY, Reg Lenna Civic Center; with George Wallace, comedian, who has been invited to bring the house down, and bring an end of the Lucy-Desi Museum season, which is open annually from June to September, [see also events and other important dates: 2/5/23; 2/8/56; 9/23/78; 5/19/89; 4/1/96; 5/15/96, 5/24-26/96; 7/20/96; 9/20/96], on this date in 1996.

Regarding Lew Black in 1993:

Lew Black, comedian, Lucy-Desi Museum guest headliner, Reg Lenna Civic Center, a project of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, Jamestown, NY, the start of the weekend festivities, through Sunday, May 23, [see also May 24 Festival, 1996; and Lighten Up! 9/20, 21, 1996, for a return of Mr. Black] on this date in 1993.

Archived