Lucy on Super 8

Lucyilove

Thought I'd start a new thread about this since there was talk on the colorizing ILL thread of defunct formats Lucy product was released in. I remember a few Super 8mm sound films being released in the 1970's. Film was very pricey back - these babies would have cost at least $30 each, maybe more, too much for a kid like me who didn't have a paper route.

I LOVE LUCY EPISODES - As I mentioned on the colorizing thread I remember "Lucy Writes a Novel" being released in S8S, did a little bit of net researching and found comments on a 8mm collector board that "Job Switching" and "The Freezer" were also released. These episodes were uncut but split into two 400' reels each since a 400' reel could only hold about 18 minutes of film. I don't think these were official releases.

THE LUCY SHOW - "Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account" was released, unlike ILL, though this one was public domain.

THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL - Columbia and other studios released 18 minute "digests" of several of their features films including this 1950 Lucy comedy.

THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS - The 3 Stooges comedy with a short early part with Lucy was also released by Columbia.

SO AND SEW - This one is particularly interesting as this early comedy short starring Lucy has all but disappeared in recent decades but back in the 1970's you could buy it in Super 8 sound!

MAME TRAILER - The trailer was released on Super 8 as were many other movie trailers but this is the only Lucy one I'm aware of. Trailers of course only run a couple of minutes so these weren't very expensive.

Did anybody have copies of these? Other Lucy films on Super 8? Given how almost every family owned a Super 8 camera back then I'm surprised there isn't some amateur footage of Lucy at her tapings, public appearances, etc. surfacing beyond what we've seen from the ILL era.

Thought I'd start a new thread about this since there was talk on the colorizing ILL thread of defunct formats Lucy product was released in. I remember a few Super 8mm sound films being released in the 1970's. Film was very pricey back - these babies would have cost at least $30 each, maybe more, too much for a kid like me who didn't have a paper route.

I LOVE LUCY EPISODES - As I mentioned on the colorizing thread I remember "Lucy Writes a Novel" being released in S8S, did a little bit of net researching and found comments on a 8mm collector board that "Job Switching" and "The Freezer" were also released. These episodes were uncut but split into two 400' reels each since a 400' reel could only hold about 18 minutes of film. I don't think these were official releases.

THE LUCY SHOW - "Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account" was released, unlike ILL, though this one was public domain.

THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL - Columbia and other studios released 18 minute "digests" of several of their features films including this 1950 Lucy comedy.

THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS - The 3 Stooges comedy with a short early part with Lucy was also released by Columbia.

SO AND SEW - This one is particularly interesting as this early comedy short starring Lucy has all but disappeared in recent decades but back in the 1970's you could buy it in Super 8 sound!

MAME TRAILER - The trailer was released on Super 8 as were many other movie trailers but this is the only Lucy one I'm aware of. Trailers of course only run a couple of minutes so these weren't very expensive.

Did anybody have copies of these? Other Lucy films on Super 8? Given how almost every family owned a Super 8 camera back then I'm surprised there isn't some amateur footage of Lucy at her tapings, public appearances, etc. surfacing beyond what we've seen from the ILL era.

Nope, never even knew these existed. Closest I came was purchasing that Lucy 40th anniversary Laser Disc that the whole Lucy gang plugged on The Joan Rivers afternoon show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived