Lucy vs. Seinfeld

Oy, putting me down for loving FRIENDS and then singing the praises of crud like Married With Children, surely you jest!

I would never put you down, Claude! I like FRIENDS as well. And though they are opposites in many ways, I think the quality of the comedy vs. the actual script construction in both shows is quite similar. Mindless. Good for some laughs. But certainly not of the aesthetic beauty of an I LOVE LUCY or MARY TYLER MOORE, for example.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never put you down, Claude! I like FRIENDS as well. And though they are opposites in many ways, I think the quality of the comedy vs. the actual script construction in both shows is quite similar. Mindless. Good for some laughs. But certainly not of the aesthetic beauty of an I LOVE LUCY or MARY TYLER MOORE, for example.

I was only joking, I love your posts, even if your opinions differ from mine, nothing wrong with that, as you so beautifully said it yourself, DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, and I hated that comedy show too!

• 4 months later...

I got the complete series for Christmas. Goodness I'd forgotten how brilliant Seinfeld is. So absolutely hysterical. Comparing it to Lucy is pointless, the two shows seek to accomplish different things. There is plenty of room for both Lucy and Jerry in this world. I'm so enjoying it.

Great! And I love your whole spectrum of taste & interests (i.e., Seinfeld, Mama's Family and of course, LB!)! Enjoy!

Question: did they only repackage this in new packaging or did they reformat the early episodes to widescreen format like I heard they did on the Friends Blu-Ray Complete Set?

Great! And I love your whole spectrum of taste & interests (i.e., Seinfeld, Mama's Family and of course, LB!)! Enjoy!

Question: did they only repackage this in new packaging or did they reformat the early episodes to widescreen format like I heard they did on the Friends Blu-Ray Complete Set?

No, the discs are identical to all previous releases. The only thing new is the smaller, more shelf-friendly packaging.

I think the HD widescreen conversion has only been applied to the syndicated versions of the episodes so far. Whether or not they'll be able to format the full-length versions into widescreen as well, I don't know - they couldn't with Friends. Then again, Seinfeld never had DVD-exclusive extended episodes the way Friends did. I guess it all depends what elements survive.

Will & Grace - there's a show that needs a revamped re-release, with the original supersized versions of select episodes replacing the syndicated versions that appeared on a few of the DVD sets.

Seinfeld is brilliant in a different kind of way. Completely different kind of humor. There's no need for comparison because both shows set out to accomplish different things. It takes all kinds.

That being said, the idea of a Ricardo-Mertz anti-gratifying contest would be a hoot!

FRED: I'm out!

. Ethel: "OUT??!! When was the last time you were IN, Frederick ??"

Archived