Question about Miss Ball

Irene Kampen Tripp

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... I wonder how well the dvds sell... I mean I want to know how popular their sales arw compared to other CBS dvd sales...Would be great if they are a significant revenue... It would be nice if OUR GIRL still rains money on them...

She`s been DELIVERING big bucks for them even after passing on, no small feat.

Yeah... I wonder how well the dvds sell... I mean I want to know how popular their sales arw compared to other CBS dvd sales...Would be great if they are a significant revenue... It would be nice if OUR GIRL still rains money on them...

I don't think that ILL would be in it's THIRD go-around of the series' DVDs being repackaged and re-released (i.e., the recent slimpack versions with the "comic"-styled art covers) -- FOUR if you count the Columbia House releases (less said about those, the better!) -- if they didn' sell... nor would be seeing the impending Blu-ray versions coming early next year!

No wonder CBS is still making millions of our gal! She's a "breadwinner"! :lucythrill:

I don't think that ILL would be in it's THIRD go-around of the series' DVDs being repackaged and re-released (i.e., the recent slimpack versions with the "comic"-styled art covers) -- FOUR if you count the Columbia House releases (less said about those, the better!) -- if they didn' sell... nor would be seeing the impending Blu-ray versions coming early next year!

No wonder CBS is still making millions of our gal! She's a "breadwinner"! :lucythrill:

And then think how much they'll make when they start colorizing everything too, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Another question..... Do you think at TIMES Miss Ball resented or was unhappy with the Lucy Character.....meaning typcasting her as an actress? I think it was a double edged sword at times . I think it brought her fame and fortune but hindered her vetting any diverse film roles....wbat do u tbink?

I'm thinking it wasn't really an issue (if it ever was!) until HL was done and she tried to do different things (e.g. Catherine Curtis, etc.) and was lambasted (critically, anyway, not as much I don't think by fans-- at least, not this one! ;)) for "spreading her wings"! Ironically though, it seemed to be her most radically different performance in later years in Stone Pillow that right or wrong, brought her back to the last incarnation of the Lucy character, which I still have mixed feelings about to this day.

Life can be so funny! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I should have titled this QuestionS About LB...anyhow another question.... Why did Lucy become an actress? What prompted her decision? Or was she only thinking about it on her trainride out to Cali?

She had been mesmerized by performing ever since her stepdad took her to see shows as a youngster and she loved the Pearl White books and serials. She tried getting to NYC to perform on the boards but kept getting fired, but she kept going back and trying again. As you undoubtedly know, she then tried modeling that led to her becoming a poster gal for Chesterfield and that led to her getting the Roman Scandal gig. I guess every girl her age dreamed about becoming an actress, either in NY which was closer to Jamestown and then that journey to L A to make it there. She was able to realize all her dreams and aspirations.

Desi sold ILL to CBS. But Lucy owned Desilu which owned The Lucy show, which reverted to Gulf and Western when they bought the studio, also her movie Yours Mine and Ours of which she owned 25percent. I know she sought to make some money off her last series, Here's Lucy, but that was released to syndication thru Telepictures, I dunno how much of that one she got but it didn't do so well in syndication anyway. So I can't answer your question without at least clarifying that CBS does not make money off her two later series. Unless of course CBS owns Paramount which acquired Gulf and Western's Desilu and could even own Telepictures for all I know, complicated ain't it? I suppose the kids got some residuals from their own roles on the later series.

Lucie and Desi Jr. own Here's Lucy. Telepictures never owned Here's Lucy. Telepictures was only hired to syndicate the series; in other words, do all the groundwork to contract with local television stations to air it. So in answer to the original poster's question, yes, Lucy's estate makes money on every broadcast and DVD sale of Here's Lucy. As for The Lucy Show, as you note, with the sale of Desilu Productions and Desilu Studios to Gulf & Western, The Lucy Show was part of that package. However, Paramount didn't acquire G&W, it was the other way around. At the time G&W bought Desilu, it already owned Paramount Pictures; they had purchased Paramount Pictures a year before they bought Desilu, which is why they changed the name Desilu to Paramount Television.

There have been lots of transactions over the years since then. G&W became Paramount Communications in the late '80s, then merged into Viacom in 1993, which bought CBS Corporation (which owns I Love Lucy) in 1999. So since 1999, The Lucy Show and I Love Lucy have been owned by the same company. Viacom eventually split into two different companies, and in the years since, numerous other mergers, de-mergers and restructurings have occurred. At this point, I think the TLS (as well as all former Paramount Television shows) is owned by CBS Corporation. (Paramount Pictures and the other Viacom properties, are now part of a separate company, unaffiliated with CBS Corporation and the former Paramount Television.) But anyway, when Lucille Ball sold Desilu to G&W in 1967, she didn't exchange it for cash, but rather for shares in the company. To my knowledge she held onto that stock until her death, at which point it went to her children. If they have continued holding onto all that stock, then they are now shareholders in CBS Corporation, which owns TLS and ILL. And thus they would indirectly profit from DVD sales of TLS and ILL, as well as any other CBS Corporation product. But it's such a huge corporation, and revenues from TLS and ILL would only be a small piece. So Lucie and Desi Jr. would unlikely have any clue how much of the money they make from CBS Corporation (assuming they still own shares) would be impacted by TLS and ILL because they're profiting from the overall health of the company.

Lucie and Desi Jr. own Here's Lucy. Telepictures never owned Here's Lucy. Telepictures was only hired to syndicate the series; in other words, do all the groundwork to contract with local television stations to air it. So in answer to the original poster's question, yes, Lucy's estate makes money on every broadcast and DVD sale of Here's Lucy. As for The Lucy Show, as you note, with the sale of Desilu Productions and Desilu Studios to Gulf & Western, The Lucy Show was part of that package. However, Paramount didn't acquire G&W, it was the other way around. At the time G&W bought Desilu, it already owned Paramount Pictures; they had purchased Paramount Pictures a year before they bought Desilu, which is why they changed the name Desilu to Paramount Television.

There have been lots of transactions over the years since then. G&W became Paramount Communications in the late '80s, then merged into Viacom in 1993, which bought CBS Corporation (which owns I Love Lucy) in 1999. So since 1999, The Lucy Show and I Love Lucy have been owned by the same company. Viacom eventually split into two different companies, and in the years since, numerous other mergers, de-mergers and restructurings have occurred. At this point, I think the TLS (as well as all former Paramount Television shows) is owned by CBS Corporation. (Paramount Pictures and the other Viacom properties, are now part of a separate company, unaffiliated with CBS Corporation and the former Paramount Television.) But anyway, when Lucille Ball sold Desilu to G&W in 1967, she didn't exchange it for cash, but rather for shares in the company. To my knowledge she held onto that stock until her death, at which point it went to her children. If they have continued holding onto all that stock, then they are now shareholders in CBS Corporation, which owns TLS and ILL. And thus they would indirectly profit from DVD sales of TLS and ILL, as well as any other CBS Corporation product. But it's such a huge corporation, and revenues from TLS and ILL would only be a small piece. So Lucie and Desi Jr. would unlikely have any clue how much of the money they make from CBS Corporation (assuming they still own shares) would be impacted by TLS and ILL because they're profiting from the overall health of the company.

I think you may be wrong about that last part, I've read that Lucy did NOT hold on to her G and W stock which split many times, if she had, she would have gotten like 50 million instead of 10 which was her share of the 17 million dollar sale, she only owned 60 percent at that time. I think also that Lucie and Desi jr only own the IMAGES of their parents or at least that's what they keep saying in interviews.

I think you may be wrong about that last part, I've read that Lucy did NOT hold on to her G and W stock which split many times, if she had, she would have gotten like 50 million instead of 10 which was her share of the 17 million dollar sale, she only owned 60 percent at that time. I think also that Lucie and Desi jr only own the IMAGES of their parents or at least that's what they keep saying in interviews.

That may be true. I know she was paid in stock in '67 and perhaps I just assumed she kept the stock all those years. I thought I had read that she still held that stock but maybe not. And yes, Lucie and Desi Jr. own their parents' images, but that's not all. They also inherited Lucille Ball Productions and Desi Arnaz Productions. They may have merged them into Desilu Too as I don't think they exist as separate functioning corporate entities anymore. (Not sure.) But they are in the family; hence, all their hard work on the Here's Lucy and Mothers-in-Law DVDs.

That may be true. I know she was paid in stock in '67 and perhaps I just assumed she kept the stock all those years. I thought I had read that she still held that stock but maybe not. And yes, Lucie and Desi Jr. own their parents' images, but that's not all. They also inherited Lucille Ball Productions and Desi Arnaz Productions. They may have merged them into Desilu Too as I don't think they exist as separate functioning corporate entities anymore. (Not sure.) But they are in the family; hence, all their hard work on the Here's Lucy and Mothers-in-Law DVDs.

Yeah, I figured they weren't just doing it for kicks, LOL! Lucy had stated many times that she wanted her kids to earn money on their own and not just stop working when they got her inheritance. Seeing as YOU are a wealth of information on these subjects. . . . so Lucy left 22 million in her will, but that was based on the house being worth 7.5 million and it only sold for 3 million plus years later, and after taxes, how much money did the kids end up with?

Archived