Question about Miss Ball

Irene Kampen Tripp

Yeah, I figured they weren't just doing it for kicks, LOL! Lucy had stated many times that she wanted her kids to earn money on their own and not just stop working when they got her inheritance. Seeing as YOU are a wealth of information on these subjects. . . . so Lucy left 22 million in her will, but that was based on the house being worth 7.5 million and it only sold for 3 million plus years later, and after taxes, how much money did the kids end up with?

I've got a copy of her will somewhere, but I could never make heads or tails out of it.  I havent looked at it in a long time (and don't know where it is at the moment), but I remember not being able to figure out who got what.  It was very vague.  And of course, the only way to know how much value she was doling out would be to access private information such as her actual stock holdings.  There were no numbers in the will that I recall, and It would be hard to have that anyway because things like house values and stock values are fluid and change every day.

As for the house value, $3 million is pretty cheap house for Beverly Hills!  According to Zillow, it's recovered and has it valued at just under $9 million now.  Even $9 million seems cheap for Beverly Hills, but Zillow also shows that it sold in 2010 for under $2 million, even though it valued it at $6 million at the time. (???)  And Trulia currently has it valued at $2,834,000, and states: "The average listing price for similar homes for sale is $11,876,633 and the average sales price for similar recently sold homes is $3,583,483."  Hmm.

Didn't Gary Morton inherit the house?

I couldn't tell you how much the kids got just for the reasons above: they got a lot of stock and the number of shares they had is probably non-public information.  Lucie has often said that people mistakenly believe her mother was worth "a gazillion dollars."  I think she's just being modest because she and her brother got most of that and perhaps don't want themselves to be perceived as gazillionnaires.  The Celebrity Net Worth website puts Lucille Ball's net worth at the time of her death at $40 million, Lucie Arnaz's current net worth at $20 million, and Desi Arnaz Jr's current net worth at $40 million.  But those numbers seems suspect to me.  I think probably the only people who actually know their net worth are them and their tax advisors.  One thing for sure:  they're not hurting!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary did not inherit the BH house. He got the Palm Springs house. The BH went to the kids with instructions that it was to be sold from what I understand. Did Lucy own the Snowmass condos until she died? Who ended up with those and what happend to them then.

The only house I'm pretty certain of both parents that has stayed in the family is Desi's house in Mexico. I've seen reference to it by both kids.

Gary did not inherit the BH house. He got the Palm Springs house. The BH went to the kids with instructions that it was to be sold from what I understand. Did Lucy own the Snowmass condos until she died? Who ended up with those and what happend to them then.

The only house I'm pretty certain of both parents that has stayed in the family is Desi's house in Mexico. I've seen reference to it by both kids.

Thanks!  Where exactly is the house in Mexico?  Is that the one in La Paz?

A few weeks ago I was on the beach in front of his Del Mar property.  (Desi, with his penchant for weilding a gun and threatening people off "his" beach would have a pretty tough time today because that beach is CROWDED.) It appears to be a "new" home there now.  Zillow says it was built in 1990.  I hate that these homes of theirs get sold, then the new owners tear them down and build something else in their place.  IMO these were historic structures.  But anyway, the current Del Mar house is valued at almost $10 million.  I'm sure the Arnaz kids got a pretty penny when they sold that property.

When Lucie sold the Snowmass keys a couple of years ago there were sets for components of three condos, so I would imagine they were left to the kids rather than Gary, unless there was a proviso they were to go to the kids after Gary's death.

When Lucie sold the Snowmass keys a couple of years ago there were sets for components of three condos, so I would imagine they were left to the kids rather than Gary, unless there was a proviso they were to go to the kids after Gary's death.

We all know Lucy owned ONE and her mother another ONE and the kids had the third.  There's a pic of it in Tannen's book, on three levels.  But I wonder when De De died, did hers revert back to Lucy as well as Lucy's going to the kids when she passed on.

I've got a copy of her will somewhere, but I could never make heads or tails out of it.  I havent looked at it in a long time (and don't know where it is at the moment), but I remember not being able to figure out who got what.  It was very vague.  And of course, the only way to know how much value she was doling out would be to access private information such as her actual stock holdings.  There were no numbers in the will that I recall, and It would be hard to have that anyway because things like house values and stock values are fluid and change every day.

As for the house value, $3 million is pretty cheap house for Beverly Hills!  According to Zillow, it's recovered and has it valued at just under $9 million now.  Even $9 million seems cheap for Beverly Hills, but Zillow also shows that it sold in 2010 for under $2 million, even though it valued it at $6 million at the time. (???)  And Trulia currently has it valued at $2,834,000, and states: "The average listing price for similar homes for sale is $11,876,633 and the average sales price for similar recently sold homes is $3,583,483."  Hmm.

Didn't Gary Morton inherit the house?

I couldn't tell you how much the kids got just for the reasons above: they got a lot of stock and the number of shares they had is probably non-public information.  Lucie has often said that people mistakenly believe her mother was worth "a gazillion dollars."  I think she's just being modest because she and her brother got most of that and perhaps don't want themselves to be perceived as gazillionnaires.  The Celebrity Net Worth website puts Lucille Ball's net worth at the time of her death at $40 million, Lucie Arnaz's current net worth at $20 million, and Desi Arnaz Jr's current net worth at $40 million.  But those numbers seems suspect to me.  I think probably the only people who actually know their net worth are them and their tax advisors.  One thing for sure:  they're not hurting!

Depends on where you're getting your information, Lucy left 22 million and then taxes ate into that amount also.  Lucie and Desi jr are NOT worth those huge amounts, I'm pretty damn sure of that.  I'd also like to know what happened to De De's house in Brentwood I think it was, it went back to Lucy and she sold it?  As for Desi's house, this one on the beach, that's not the one in Mexico, right?  The guitar shaped pool, that was shown on an ET once.  The one on the beach I saw on the net, modern looking, ultra modern even, but smallish although on many levels, looks like one of those houses in Malibu that are worth a fortune, so I could see THAT one being worth ten million.  As for Lucy's houses, yes the Palm Springs one went to gary, so another big amount deducted from the 22 million for the kids.

Depends on where you're getting your information, Lucy left 22 million and then taxes ate into that amount also.  Lucie and Desi jr are NOT worth those huge amounts, I'm pretty damn sure of that.  I'd also like to know what happened to De De's house in Brentwood I think it was, it went back to Lucy and she sold it?  As for Desi's house, this one on the beach, that's not the one in Mexico, right?  The guitar shaped pool, that was shown on an ET once.  The one on the beach I saw on the net, modern looking, ultra modern even, but smallish although on many levels, looks like one of those houses in Malibu that are worth a fortune, so I could see THAT one being worth ten million.  As for Lucy's houses, yes the Palm Springs one went to gary, so another big amount deducted from the 22 million for the kids.

Yes, the one you saw on the net sounds like the Del Mar house.  But the current house there was built in 1990, so they rebuilt on Desi's property.  The lots are fairly small with houses very close to one another, and no room for a pool, but the houses themselves are pretty large, or as large as can be on those lots.  The one on Desi's property is about 3 stories tall and 4000 square feet.  So they make good use of the space..

We all know Lucy owned ONE and her mother another ONE and the kids had the third.  There's a pic of it in Tannen's book, on three levels.  But I wonder when De De died, did hers revert back to Lucy as well as Lucy's going to the kids when she passed on.

They each had use of one, but ownership is a different question.

Yes, the one you saw on the net sounds like the Del Mar house.  But the current house there was built in 1990, so they rebuilt on Desi's property.  The lots are fairly small with houses very close to one another, and no room for a pool, but the houses themselves are pretty large, or as large as can be on those lots.  The one on Desi's property is about 3 stories tall and 4000 square feet.  So they make good use of the space..

And there was also some pics of another house of Desi's on the net lately, big rooms, sparsely furnished and various guest rooms for when the kids stayed over, maybe THAT one was the Ba Ja house.

Irene, going back to one of your earlier questions (I'm a little late to this thread :) ), I think Lucy was pleased to be typecast as Lucy. It brought her the stardom that had eluded her all the years she made movies. I remember reading an interview where she said she realized her favorite movie roles were the ones where she played a housewife. Acting out all of those different movie characters probably helped, too; if she had immediately become famous for playing Lucy she probably would have really wanted to play different roles.

Interesting posts, LittleRickyII -- thanks for sharing that info. :)

I thought Gary lived in the Beverly Hills house for several years after Lucy's death? I know he remarried at some point & I don't think his new wife lived there (I hope not). Does anyone know the timeline of where Gary lived after Lucy? How long after Lucy's death did he remarry?

Yeah, i have read where she wanted to be typecast and how housewife parts pleased her, but there was that time when she saw that play with Vivian Leigh in a staring role. Durring.dinner afterward she.complained how what she did.was.insignificant.... I.sometimes get.the feeling she.felt.she.didn't measure up to the STARS in Holllywood....although she.really.was a.star by any.definition, I get.the impression she wanted to do more. Lucille Ball was a tremendously ambitious woman and she may never have been satisfied.

Yeah, i have read where she wanted to be typecast and how housewife parts pleased her, but there was that time when she saw that play with Vivian Leigh in a staring role. Durring.dinner afterward she.complained how what she did.was.insignificant.... I.sometimes get.the feeling she.felt.she.didn't measure up to the STARS in Holllywood....although she.really.was a.star by any.definition, I get.the impression she wanted to do more. Lucille Ball was a tremendously ambitious woman and she may never have been satisfied.

Irene, going back to one of your earlier questions (I'm a little late to this thread :) ), I think Lucy was pleased to be typecast as Lucy. It brought her the stardom that had eluded her all the years she made movies. I remember reading an interview where she said she realized her favorite movie roles were the ones where she played a housewife. Acting out all of those different movie characters probably helped, too; if she had immediately become famous for playing Lucy she probably would have really wanted to play different roles.

I thought Gary lived in the Beverly Hills house for several years after Lucy's death? I know he remarried at some point & I don't think his new wife lived there (I hope not). Does anyone know the timeline of where Gary lived after Lucy? How long after Lucy's death did he remarry?

He remarried in 1996.

Irene, going back to one of your earlier questions (I'm a little late to this thread :) ), I think Lucy was pleased to be typecast as Lucy. It brought her the stardom that had eluded her all the years she made movies. I remember reading an interview where she said she realized her favorite movie roles were the ones where she played a housewife. Acting out all of those different movie characters probably helped, too; if she had immediately become famous for playing Lucy she probably would have really wanted to play different roles.

I thought Gary lived in the Beverly Hills house for several years after Lucy's death? I know he remarried at some point & I don't think his new wife lived there (I hope not). Does anyone know the timeline of where Gary lived after Lucy? How long after Lucy's death did he remarry?

Gary stayed in the Beverly Hills house for years because they could not sell it, and they had to sort out the will and things, but finally, when they kicked him out, he went to Palm Springs where Lucy had left him THAT house, he met the golfer later and she never set foot in Roxbury thank God!

It wasn't that, it was the fact that Lucy knew the bigger thing in Hollywood was to be a MOVIE star, that was the era she grew up in, a TV star was a much smaller deal, she said that to Mike Douglas when he moved his show to L A.  Now of course, T V stars make as much as movie stars and they are even much more popular as so few people still go to the movies but everyone watches television, even the stars. 

Archived