Jerry Lewis (not dead!)

Maybe one of you French-Canadians can explain the French fascination with Jerry Lewis. I don't know exactly when his heyday and a solo movie performer was but, I caught the last 1/2 hour of a movie called "the Big Mouth" made in 1967 and it was abysmal. Jerry produced, wrote, directed and starred as "Jerry", a man mistaken for someone who knew where the diamonds were and was being chased around Sea World. The shots consisted of Jerry running alternating with shots of the thugs looking around then running, sometimes for a big laugh they'd run into each other. It was like the chase scene in 'Lucy Gets Lucky" except 10 times as long and made for the big screen. To escape Jerry joins some kabuki dancers on-stage, which was the only attempt at comedy in this chase scene.

He is not a performer I've followed but it seems that when he and Dean broke up he had some movie successes, both critical and financial. I was never a big fan, but thought he was great in one of my favorite movies of all time "King of Comedy" made in the early 80s.

Maybe one of you French-Canadians can explain the French fascination with Jerry Lewis. I don't know exactly when his heyday and a solo movie performer was but, I caught the last 1/2 hour of a movie called "the Big Mouth" made in 1967 and it was abysmal. Jerry produced, wrote, directed and starred as "Jerry", a man mistaken for someone who knew where the diamonds were and was being chased around Sea World. The shots consisted of Jerry running alternating with shots of the thugs looking around then running, sometimes for a big laugh they'd run into each other. It was like the chase scene in 'Lucy Gets Lucky" except 10 times as long and made for the big screen. To escape Jerry joins some kabuki dancers on-stage, which was the only attempt at comedy in this chase scene.

He is not a performer I've followed but it seems that when he and Dean broke up he had some movie successes, both critical and financial. I was never a big fan, but thought he was great in one of my favorite movies of all time "King of Comedy" made in the early 80s.

Never understood why the frogs love the man, but I wish the NOT DEAD part of this header was wrong. What do you SPECT from people who eat snails and frog legs? And they usually can't abide anything non French in their entertainment also. Haven't seen ANY of his movies since I was a child, didn't think they were funny then so I wouldn't waste my time with them NOW. Used to watch his telethon for years when he was trying to entertain, now it's just people with cheques wanting to get on camera for their good deeds.

I read in Entertainment Weekly about a long lost movie that surfaced on YouTube the other week. It was about a clown entertaining Jews in a Nazi concentration camp. It was a pet project of Jerry's but it never was released and he was always vague about why.

maybe the uplifting theme was that if you had to live through the horror of sitting through a Jerry Lewis movie marathon, being in a concentration camp didn't phase you.

Archived