EMMY AWARDS, SEPTEMBER 22

C L A U D E

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most nominations ever for a single program or miniseries in a single year went to ROOTS with 37 noms back in '77.  After a seven year hiatus between nominations, another NETFLIX only program, Arrested Development just got a nomination for it's returning FOURTH season.  In '58 and '59, there was even an award for BEST WESTERN as there was a plethora of western on tv back then.

I enjoyed reading your misc Emmy info, Claude :) . Very cool that Betty White won in all four categories ! I had no idea Lisa Kudrow was nominated so many times. I remember an interview with the woman writer of "Friends" (I forget her name) who said one of her only regrets was that Courtney Cox was terrific & never won, but everyone else in the cast did.

I enjoyed reading your misc Emmy info, Claude :) . Very cool that Betty White won in all four categories ! I had no idea Lisa Kudrow was nominated so many times. I remember an interview with the woman writer of "Friends" (I forget her name) who said one of her only regrets was that Courtney Cox was terrific & never won, but everyone else in the cast did.

Not really, none of the guys won, although Matt won recently for his new show EPISODES.  I didn't either, I only remembered Jen winning one time, but Kudrow seems to be a real favorite of people, she's done some great movies too.  Very good actress.  Very natural and she played the dumb bunny on the show, like I said before, the dumb one is always beloved for some reason, maybe we feel superior to the dumb character?

On The View this morning, Whoops brought up the fact that there's this big hubbub about the Academy NOT wanting to include either Larry Hagman or Jack Klugman but instead favoring the youngins like Cory Monteith as it gets them the youth audience, can you imagine, i'm sure they'll reconsider because not having those two gentlemen on there would be a sacrilege.

Lots of articles running about things concerning EMMY.  One I just read stated the obvious about certain people always being slighted, one mentioned was Lauren Graham who it seems is mentioned every year, 7 years with Gilmore Girls, 4 with Parenthood, total nominations for this gifted actress, N O N E !  They mention other shows I have never bothered watching like The Wire, or Buffy, Vampire Slayer, others used to mention Battlestar Gallactica or even Courtney Cox of Friends and now Cougar Town, they always wind up with nada.  I was also shocked to learn that Desi Arnaz, never received any nomination for anything, yet he produced the best situation comedy that ever existed on television.  They added that Louis C K has a chance this year as best actor in a comedy for his great sitcom but that stand up comedians seldom get that recognition, Roseanne and Raymond being two exceptions of course.  Other shows and people that NEVER got a nomination include Roseanne and The Jeffersons for shows, although their stars did get some recognition.  Michael Landon of Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie, who used to write, direct and executive produce the show also never got anything for his efforts from the Academy.  They also stated that African American actors have a chance this year to scoop up lead actor awards that have never acknowledged their brilliance.

Ok, so NOW the In Memoriam section of the show will feature some stars paying tribute to some individuals like Jane Lynch doing Cory Monteith and Robin Williams doing Jonathan Winters and Edie Falco doing James Gandolfini and so on.  Sounds better than their usual one.  The various choreographers will stage numbers throughout the show and compete to see who does the best number and then the winner which would have been announced last Sunday will be given during the prime time show instead for this occasion, seeing as there is so much interest in DANCE lately.  

The In Memoriam section will be HUGE this year, so may greats from television have passed away in the past year. Two much too soon of course, James Gandolfini of Sopranos fame and Cory Monteith of GLEE. When you consider they go back a year from the telecast, that means Jack Klugman will be included although he passed in December 2012. Jean Stapelton of All in the Family, Bonnie Franklin of One Day at a Time. Barbara Eden's first husband Michael Ansara also. Annette Funicello from Mickey Moose club, soap star Jeanne Cooper who had a mouth on her that made Lucy look tame by comparison. Lisa Robin Kelly from That 70's show. LARRY HAGMAN of Dallas, character actor Dennis Farina. western star Dale Robertson, the great Eileen Brennan of Private Benjamin fame. Conrad Bain of Maude and Different Strokes and even that 21 year old kid from Buckwild, Shain Gandee.

Dr. Joyce Brothers died this year also, if you consider her an actress.

Dr. Joyce Brothers died this year also, if you consider her an actress.

Well, yeah, but they don't just honor actors anyway, she was a personality who appeared regularly on tv, might even have had her own show at some point but I also think she did portray herself on several comedies.  Anyway, I still want to find out if focusing on these six celebs, if they will include everybody else who passed on, there was that story of Klugman and Larry Hagman, NOT being included for lack of time, harrumph!   Imagine not including J R when he was such a big part of TV history, this must be a fake news story to get people to tune in or something.

Dun't forget the EMMYS on Sunday night, on CBS,  coverage starts on E and other places well before the normal 8 o'clock start time for the show itself.

Also, if you get that new FXX cable channel, they're airing later today ("check your local listings"! ;) ) the Creative Arts Emmys that were held last week, where Bob Newhart for one finally receives an award as guest actor on TBBT.  Hopefully they show his win! :D

Also, if you get that new FXX cable channel, they're airing later today ("check your local listings"! ;) ) the Creative Arts Emmys that were held last week, where Bob Newhart for one finally receives an award as guest actor on TBBT.  Hopefully they show his win! :D

Dun't get FXX, but would love to see Bob win his first Emmy in fifty years or so, maybe someone will later post it on You Tube or something.

Well, yeah, but they don't just honor actors anyway, she was a personality who appeared regularly on tv, might even have had her own show at some point but I also think she did portray herself on several comedies.  Anyway, I still want to find out if focusing on these six celebs, if they will include everybody else who passed on, there was that story of Klugman and Larry Hagman, NOT being included for lack of time, harrumph!   Imagine not including J R when he was such a big part of TV history, this must be a fake news story to get people to tune in or something.

Unfortunately it appears very much true that Jack Klugman and Larry Hagman are not getting individual tributes at the Emmys this year which seems to be the biggest scandal on one of these things since Farrah Fawcett got snubbed by the Oscars on their memorial reel three years ago.  This is pretty outrageous that Klugman - multiple Emmy winnner - and Hagman - arguably the most iconic male tv star of the early 1980's -  are not being singled out and it is rather bizarre that Corey Monteith is, I don't watch that show GLEE but isn't he just a supporting player on it rather than one of the main leads?  This is hardly a first that a young star has died during the run of a show - Pete Deuel, Jon-Eric Hexum, etc. and his death is tragic but it is a bit much for him to get preferential treatment in a tribute and unfortunately it seems to be really backfiring with the public posting tons of negative comments about him now on the net.  However I don't see the Emmys doing a "rush job" giving Hagman and Klugman their due this late, reports from Saturday indicate this are going as scheduled.  (And while I love Jonathan Winters, really did he deserve it over Klugman and Hagman either? Great talent but I don't think he's thought of as a "tv star" in the fullest sense.)

I already know who is going to win every single comedy award. Modern Family, Modern Family, Modern Family, Modern Family, Modern Family, Modern Family and that show with Sofia Vergara, can't remember the name. 

LOL, I seriously doubt that, it has one thing going for it, it's on everywhere all the time, or at least the reruns, I never watch the show so they'll all be new to me, but the thing is after all these years, it has great competition this year, I think Louie CK's show might take it, for a nice pleasant change.

Unfortunately it appears very much true that Jack Klugman and Larry Hagman are not getting individual tributes at the Emmys this year which seems to be the biggest scandal on one of these things since Farrah Fawcett got snubbed by the Oscars on their memorial reel three years ago.  This is pretty outrageous that Klugman - multiple Emmy winnner - and Hagman - arguably the most iconic male tv star of the early 1980's -  are not being singled out and it is rather bizarre that Corey Monteith is, I don't watch that show GLEE but isn't he just a supporting player on it rather than one of the main leads?  This is hardly a first that a young star has died during the run of a show - Pete Deuel, Jon-Eric Hexum, etc. and his death is tragic but it is a bit much for him to get preferential treatment in a tribute and unfortunately it seems to be really backfiring with the public posting tons of negative comments about him now on the net.  However I don't see the Emmys doing a "rush job" giving Hagman and Klugman their due this late, reports from Saturday indicate this are going as scheduled.  (And while I love Jonathan Winters, really did he deserve it over Klugman and Hagman either? Great talent but I don't think he's thought of as a "tv star" in the fullest sense.)

Jonathan Winters was the Robin Williams of his day, he was a genius, ad libbing better than what they wrote for him, so he deserves a special tribute BUT, giving one to the special six but not the others is very wrong, in my humble opinion.  Cory was a star on GLEE, BUT, he died due to drugs, is that more deserving of an honor, for three years that we knew this guy rather than a TV icon like Hagman?  The world did not stop for Cory the way it did for Who Shot JR!

"Michael Douglas, the actor!, everybody!" -- Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet tonight.

That might be the "It's Ruta Lee!!! The Movie Star!!!" of our time. lol

He's such a pompous ass, I never liked him although he just did ok with Michael J Fox who can barely get a sentence out but is still there, plugging away, even having a new series that starts this coming Thursday.  He's like Valerie Harper, a real trouper that keeps going, not letting illness stop him or her in any way.

Archived