"The Best (and Worst) of I Love Lucy"

Brock

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. It's so true though with some of that stuff.

Not those TOP five, hummmmmmmmmm, I dun't thin so. Rock was on camera, what? Five minutes in all? I might agree about the two worst but certainly not the top five. HOWEVER, i'll have to watch the top five mentioned to SEE if i'm remembering them differently from the author.

What an odd selection of top 5 and bottom 2.

I agree that "Palm Springs" is one of the best---usually not mentioned. Ethel delivers what is probably her best line in the whole series "I am getting a little tired of being called a COW"---said with her mouth full.

"Gossip" is great too for reasons mentioned. Best line of the show: "For heaven's sake Albert go eat your lunch".

I know others have named "Scotland" as one of the worst and it's certain an odd-BALL episode but I find it thoroughly enjoyable, a real change of pace. It was ILL's answer to NBC's scheduling Peter Pan opposite it. (Someone will have to check the scheduling to see if that is true).

But Homesick in Italy as the WORST?? I think it's one of the best at showing the RANGE of episodes I Love Lucy could present. One week she's stomping grapes and the next week we get this little gem which focuses on the emotional side of the characters...and does it well. I can't think of another series that was able to present this range of shows. And how can they resist Mrs. mcGillicuddy's sleepy "Hello, Florence". It never occurred to me that the portrayal of the Italian urchins as "greedy" would offend anybody.

My worst list is limited to a couple from the first season before they found their footing and the last season where they have clearly run out of weekly ideas.

There's that stretch in the middle between the birth of the baby and Hollywood. They were such a well-oiled machine by then that this season's 'worst' episodes each had something going for them, but without a story arc they were stretching for ideas

What an odd selection of top 5 and bottom 2.

I agree that "Palm Springs" is one of the best---usually not mentioned. Ethel delivers what is probably her best line in the whole series "I am getting a little tired of being called a COW"---said with her mouth full.

"Gossip" is great too for reasons mentioned. Best line of the show: "For heaven's sake Albert go eat your lunch".

I know others have named "Scotland" as one of the worst and it's certain an odd-BALL episode but I find it thoroughly enjoyable, a real change of pace. It was ILL's answer to NBC's scheduling Peter Pan opposite it. (Someone will have to check the scheduling to see if that is true).

But Homesick in Italy as the WORST?? I think it's one of the best at showing the RANGE of episodes I Love Lucy could present. One week she's stomping grapes and the next week we get this little gem which focuses on the emotional side of the characters...and does it well. I can't think of another series that was able to present this range of shows. And how can they resist Mrs. mcGillicuddy's sleepy "Hello, Florence". It never occurred to me that the portrayal of the Italian urchins as "greedy" would offend anybody.

My worst list is limited to a couple from the first season before they found their footing and the last season where they have clearly run out of weekly ideas.

There's that stretch in the middle between the birth of the baby and Hollywood. They were such a well-oiled machine by then that this season's 'worst' episodes each had something going for them, but without a story arc they were stretching for ideas

What I did not like about Palm Springs was the use of that repetitive thing that they did on other episodes of the series where EVERYBODY goes through the exact same thing. Here, they all have annoying habits and we get them, one by one and it's certainly not that funny. The only time it was handled worse was the Fernando Lamas episode of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour where they A L L get him out of the shower to get him on their side for their next scheme.

A fun -- and funny -- list of best and worst ILL episodes which (miracle of miracles) doesn't include "The Big Three"!

http://www.thebacklo...e-lucy/09/2013/

I actually can see a lot his points but can't agree with him entirely, especially about the Italy episode! But that's why everyone has different tastes, etc. and "Best of ..." lists, releases and such should simply be abolished because they're totally subjective.

Thanks for finding a very-well written article (whether you agree with its author or not, IMHO) but what I'd really like to know boss is what you were doing on a site called "Backlot: On the corner of Hollywood and Gay'!???! :HALKING:

I actually can see a lot his points but can't agree with him entirely, especially about the Italy episode! But that's why everyone has different tastes, etc. and "Best of ..." lists, releases and such should simply be abolished because they're totally subjective.

Thanks for finding a very-well written article (whether you agree with its author or not, IMHO) but what I'd really like to know boss is what you were doing on a site called "Backlot: On the corner of Hollywood and Gay'!???! :HALKING:

He's diversifying his portfolio? No seriously, I think he's read US talking about that site as well as many others over the years. Don't you just hate the NEW format there by the way?

Getting Fernando out of the shower four times and you're complaining???

Even though it smacks of hour-show padding,I don't have a problem with the Fernando shower bit because each has funny bits. Ricky's "yealous"; Fred calling him Ferdinand; and Ethel vainly suppressing her girlish giggle at the sight of Fernando in his robe. Lucy's is just a throw-away.

The episode where this same situation is used much less effectively is the one where everyone takes turns complaining to Ricky about the others musical abilities when they form a band with Little Ricky in Connecticut--one of the least effective country episodes.

IMO, "Palm Springs"is hilarious. The ONLY problem I have is that, other than Ethel's bovine-like food consumption, none of these annoying habits are ever displayed in another episode.

What I did not like about Palm Springs was the use of that repetitive thing that they did on other episodes of the series where EVERYBODY goes through the exact same thing. Here, they all have annoying habits and we get them, one by one and it's certainly not that funny. The only time it was handled worse was the Fernando Lamas episode of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour where they A L L get him out of the shower to get him on their side for their next scheme.

Even though it smacks of hour-show padding,I don't have a problem with the Fernando shower bit because each has funny bits. Ricky's "yealous"; Fred calling him Ferdinand; and Ethel vainly suppressing her girlish giggle at the sight of Fernando in his robe. Lucy's is just a throw-away.

The episode where this same situation is used much less effectively is the one where everyone takes turns complaining to Ricky about the others musical abilities when they form a band with Little Ricky in Connecticut--one of the least effective country episodes.

IMO, "Palm Springs"is hilarious. The ONLY problem I have is that, other than Ethel's bovine-like food consumption, none of these annoying habits are ever displayed in another episode.

Sure, sure, likely story. LOL!

That's what I mean, inconsistency and non continuity issues, LOL! Funny you should mention Ragtime Band, it's playing right now as I type this. And I guess Fernando didn't do it for me, I preferred his son Lorenzo decades later. After all, his mom was Lucy lookalike Arlene Dahl, now THAT's a looker. I know what you mean about Ragtime Band being one of the worst Connecticut eps. It follows the Tango with eggs show, how could one top THAT with THIS crud? Imagine getting a real equivalent to Monroe male sex symbol on a show and wasting him with that whistling routine.

YAY!!! Somebody besides me has "Lucy's Schedule" on their favorites list.

I think "The Indian Show" should also be a required inclusion on the "worst" list. I believe it is THE worst episode of all ILL episodes. I rewatched it a little while ago and hated every frame. So insensitive. I know that was the times, but still...not fun to see today.

I think "The Indian Show" should also be a required inclusion on the "worst" list. I believe it is THE worst episode of all ILL episodes. I rewatched it a little while ago and hated every frame. So insensitive. I know that was the times, but still...not fun to see today.

Then dun't watch her do that Japanese gardener, it'll kill ya~!  Those were the times people, that was sixty years ago you know.

Sorry, can't agree with you this time! LOVE "Indian" and although it may be quite un-PC now, it was the way it was back then! :D

Sorry, can't agree with you this time! LOVE "Indian" and although it may be quite un-PC now, it was the way it was back then! :D

Exactly, I saw worse on many other shows and anybody who worships All in the Family knows that putting down whole groups of people of any race, nationality or gender was the norm back then.  And the song ending was terrific.

Wow..i like the Indian Show....doesnt bother me at all. .Rodeo...Italy birthday.. .Drafted...now those are clinkers...

I think Italy birthday was maybe meant to be a sentimental FEEL GOOD type of episode, like Mertz and Kurtz and The Christmas show,  like someone said earlier that rounded out the characters.

Archived