Pics of Viv's Pacific Palisades home

vivfantoo*

These beautiful color pics of Viv's house at 629 Frontera in Pacific Palisades are from a realty site. While I'm sure there has been some remodeling done, the kitchen looks very much the same as I've seen in pics while she lived there, plus you get an idea of the size of the rooms & outdoor space. I like how the backyard drops down almost a whole story -- you can't tell that at all from the front! :)

I got the idea to find & post these pics after reading the other thread about Viv's check on ebay. I remember looking for pics years ago when I learned what her previous addresses were.

These beautiful color pics of Viv's house at 629 Frontera in Pacific Palisades are from a realty site. While I'm sure there has been some remodeling done, the kitchen looks very much the same as I've seen in pics while she lived there, plus you get an idea of the size of the rooms & outdoor space. I like how the backyard drops down almost a whole story -- you can't tell that at all from the front! :)

I got the idea to find & post these pics after reading the other thread about Viv's check on ebay. I remember looking for pics years ago when I learned what her previous addresses were.

That's not the house I saw pics of I think, Viv had a huge piano and some awesome furniture, maybe it all looks different as none of her stuff is there anymore?

I got the street address from the book "The other Side of Ethel Mertz". I think she lived here with Phil the Ogre, but relying on my memory is not always a good thing, heehee. My copy of the book is in the attic, but one day soon I'll go & look up the dates & post them here :) . She moved around a lot, especially with John Dodds.

As Promised :) :

From The Other Side of Ethel Mertz by Frank Castelluccio & Alvin Walker p 174

"During the show's second season, the Obers left their apartment in the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood and moved into a Spanish-style house previously owned by Lionel Barrymore at 629 Frontera Drive in the Pacific Palisades section of Los Angeles. When Vivian asked her brother whether he thought the $23,000 price was fair, he quickly said he did."

(The next sentence floored me -- can this possibly be true?)

"When he heard about the acquisition, Bill Frawley went to see the house before the Obers moved in and gave his stamp of approval."

We know the marriage deteriorated, & how horrible Phil was to Vivian, including hitting her (which has earned him the name Ogre here at the Lounge). Viv lived at the house by herself for a time, according to p 212:

"Her sister Dorothy O'Neal feels that Phil and Viv could have worked it all out except for one incident -- the day Vivian arrived home to find Phil in a compromising position with one of her closest friends. He packed his bags and left their home on Frontera Drive."

Some friend, huh? Poor Viv. 

On the next page, 213, it tells that Vivian went to court to get her divorce on April 24, 1959.

On p 232 there is this mention of her next/last husband, John Dodds: "One night during one of John's frequent visits to Frontera Drive ...".  They were married on January 16, 1961. At some point after that (the book doesn't provide a date), they moved to the east coast & bought a house in Stamford, CT.

I know they bought & lived in other homes, too, after the CT one, but that's as far as I got :viv1: .

WOW!  thanks for sharing; wish we had pictures of Lucille & Desi's home(s) like these.  What fun!

Archived