Lucy, Bob and Madelyn on Merv Griffin (1981) FULL!

How great it was to see that one again, probably her second best Merv interview after the Mame one, i watched the whole thin, better than Modern Family AND the Joy Behar Show put together. TV was so much better back then and talk shows especially. Thanks for putting that up Harry.

Someone has posted Lucy's great 1981 interview on "The Merv Griffin Show" with Bob and Madelyn. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKeq15C4DU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYKOisUHkM

Harry: Can you supply me the 1981 DATE of this appearance by Lucille, Bob & Madelyn?

I've searched and cannot find reference to it. I found the 1974 (2) appearances; but, not the 1981.

I want to add the proper date to my chronology - thanks.....Joyce K.

True, but some hairstyles can make someone look older than what they are. I always preferred Lucy with longer wigs, not the artichoke styled ones ;-)

Agreed, as evidenced by the Dean Martin appearance longer wig, BUT, at least she never resorted to the extremely longer look of a Mae West or even Ginger Rogers or the white haired Jane Wyman.

How great it was to see that one again, probably her second best Merv interview after the Mame one, i watched the whole thin, better than Modern Family AND the Joy Behar Show put together. TV was so much better back then and talk shows especially. Thanks for putting that up Harry.

I couldn't agree more...and for personal reasons (I was there!!), it was absolutely heartwarming and thrilling to be able to see this after so many years. Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile.gif

I couldn't agree more...and for personal reasons (I was there!!), it was absolutely heartwarming and thrilling to be able to see this after so many years. Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile.gif

Don't you already have a copy of that great show in your Lucy collection? YOU were THERE????? Did you yell out anything?

:D

Harry: Can you supply me the 1981 DATE of this appearance by Lucille, Bob & Madelyn?

I've searched and cannot find reference to it. I found the 1974 (2) appearances; but, not the 1981.

I want to add the proper date to my chronology - thanks.....Joyce K.

Sorry, I don't know. Joey, do you know? We'd love to hear details about the taping! :D

It was THIRTY YEARS AGO!!! Are you kidding me?? Details?? Like what? I barely remember looking that YOUNG!! (and with a stache, yet!) blink.gif

Exsqeeze me there buddy, but you were with the greatest female entertainer of all time, you were probably fifty feet away from her, and you dun't rememner a thin????? Even MY memory's not that bad, come on, thin of somethin!

Harry, thank you so much for posting this -- I really enjoyed watching it :D . There are so many of Lucy's interviews I have never seen before & this was one of them. A real treat to see Bob & Madelyn, too.

I love the way she always gave thenm credit for their terrific writing and they returned the favor by saying it's what she did with it and added to it and all.

I love the way she always gave thenm credit for their terrific writing and they returned the favor by saying it's what she did with it and added to it and all.

Yeah...and then with them present, picked a Bobby O'Brien scripted episode as her all-time favorite -- that was awkward, THAT I remember! lucydisgust.JPG

Yeah...and then with them present, picked a Bobby O'Brien scripted episode as her all-time favorite -- that was awkward, THAT I remember! lucydisgust.JPG

Aw come on, the other ten episodes that were named by the audience were THEIRS so who cares, nobody but an expert like you knows that the Dean Martin one was written by Bobby O'brien, i certainly didn't or cared. :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

Well...you asked me!! lucyeww.JPG

I know, i was just defending Lucy's choice. The Dean Martin one is great for seeing the two of them together and it's warm and real and fun and all but no fan would consider it her best work or put it in her TOP TEN comedy wise, i loved it because of her hair, her youthful appearance, the classic way she seemed genuinely thrilled to work with Dean, that always came across in her work and it was also my mom's favorite Lucy show. Hey, if I'd been in that audience, as bad as my memory is, i think i'd remember every friggin detakil of the visit there. But you're right of course, when i saw The Dick Cavett show, with Maureen O'Sullivan as guest, i do not remember anything at all about that unmemorable show. I remember a dinky small theater and Maureen being lovely but so far away, i was in the balcony and Dick was so cerebral, there were few laughs. If i had been in your shoes, i would have done better than Brock with Betty on the phone or most of YOUR audience and yelled out something i'm sure, as that is a once in a lifetime experience. I would have gone from shy young man to avid rabbid stalker in sixty seconds or less.

Joey, it is so cool that you saw Lucy IN PERSON. Was that the only time you ever saw her?

Claude,I have not seen the Mame/Merv interview yet. And please don't ban me from the lounge for what I am about to write ;) : I have never seen Mame! (bobbing & weaving with a trash can lid under my robe here as I try to explain this omission :lol: !)

I watched ILL growing up, but never saw any of the other series until The Lucy Show came out on DVD. A few years ago I bought The Long, Long Trailer, & then Forever Darling. It was around this time that I started searching for Lucy info online when I had time. Since then, I've only seen 2 of her other movies & part of a third. So many books & movies of hers to read/watch, so little time!

Someone here mentioned a Lucille Ball DVD set with 5 movies. I added it to my Christmas list :) , and Mame is in the set! Hopefully my good intentions to see as many Lucy movies as possible before I die redeems my continued membership here! :lol::lucyhaha:

Joey, it is so cool that you saw Lucy IN PERSON. Was that the only time you ever saw her?

Claude,I have not seen the Mame/Merv interview yet. And please don't ban me from the lounge for what I am about to write ;) : I have never seen Mame! (bobbing & weaving with a trash can lid under my robe here as I try to explain this omission :lol: !)

I watched ILL growing up, but never saw any of the other series until The Lucy Show came out on DVD. A few years ago I bought The Long, Long Trailer, & then Forever Darling. It was around this time that I started searching for Lucy info online when I had time. Since then, I've only seen 2 of her other movies & part of a third. So many books & movies of hers to read/watch, so little time!

Someone here mentioned a Lucille Ball DVD set with 5 movies. I added it to my Christmas list :) , and Mame is in the set! Hopefully my good intentions to see as many Lucy movies as possible before I die redeems my continued membership here! :lol::lucyhaha:

Hey, you're young, there's all the time in the world to see her best material. Type in Lucille Ball videos in search and wehen you get there, there's loads to see, for free, including the Merv/Mame interview in ten parts or so. MAME is a big overblown musical, so it's not for everybody, i used to hate musicals myself but she never looked better on film and the music is to die for, her wardrobe alone is a reason to watch that one. While you view her viodeos on the net, check out the Dick Cavett interview also, it's the second best one after the Merv/Mame one, and the Phil Donahue one is a close third, she was always so honest and no nonsense in interviews, LOL!

Thanks for the great search tips, Claude(I keep wanting to call you Claudie :) ). I will definitely look for the Cavett & Donahue interviews. I saved the info in your post & added it to other Lucy search tips you gave me last month, along with Harry Carters' tip about the Paley Center interviews.

I think I might like Mame. Lucy rarely disappoints,& I love music, beautiful clothes & costumes. I have read criticism over the years that she was too old for the part but I don't know the plot so will have to see for myself. :lucy1:

Archived