What if..

Annaleigh

What are you having, "Fun with Fonts" Day?? :D

;))  GEEZ Joey, how many times do I have to say it, the computer does that every ten posts or so, has nothing to do with me changing fonts.  It also underlines some and crosses some too, it's the price I have to bear for posting here.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;))  GEEZ Joey, how many times do I have to say it, the computer does that every ten posts or so, has nothing to do with me changing fonts.  It also underlines some and crosses some too, it's the price I have to bear for posting here.

And, as if all that weren't enough, it also writes my post at the bottom of yours instead of letting me put it separate sometimes.

I dunno... I don't see Frank's ever seeing the light of day -- he's getting on in years and one would think if he really were to write a book, it would have happened by now; Wanda's too "nice" to put out anything that would be salacious or "juicy" in the slightest and as for Paula, never been a fan, we never seem to hear from her and I just as soon keep it that way. :vanda:

Carole is a lovely, still-sharp lady despite already having entered her 80s and with all the stories she could tell and her razor-sharp wit and sense of humor -- plus going "back in the day" the farthest, she's the one I wish would write if not a book on Lucy, her own memoirs as I'm sure it'd be a fun read! 

:lucyhmm:

(Note: there is a documentary in the works about both Mr. & Mrs. Troupe, but I'm not sure what the status of it is....surely that'll contain a tale or two! ;))

I get bad vibes from Paula. Ive watched some of her videos from her website and boy does she come off catty and ill tempered! She doesn't seem like a very nice woman.

And, as if all that weren't enough, it also writes my post at the bottom of yours instead of letting me put it separate sometimes.

Sounds like "operator error" to moi! :lucythrill:

Sounds like "operator error" to moi! :lucythrill:

Oh I post and it does these weird things and it's MY fault huh?  In the words of the Golden Girls theme song, THANK YOU FOR BEING MY FRIEND . . . I'd hate to have you as an enemy.

Annaleigh, what a terrific thread topic. I just read through everything from page 1 & have enjoyed all the spirited discussion & different viewpoints. What good questions, opinions, & rebuttals you all have!

What if ... Lucy's father hadn't died? Her life would have been so different. I think there's a chance she might have made it to Hollywood even in this scenario, since she had so much drive & ambition. But maybe not.

Also, (& I know this could never have happened because of zoning laws), what if her Roxbury House had been turned into a museum like Elvis' Graceland? As popular as she still is today I think it would have worked well.

PS --Hooray to those of you who stuck up for Viv earlier in this thread :lucythrill:  ! I don't know the numerical facts about the ratings so could be totally wrong here, but I always assumed the ratings dropped because Viv left the show ...

Annaleigh, what a terrific thread topic. I just read through everything from page 1 & have enjoyed all the spirited discussion & different viewpoints. What good questions, opinions, & rebuttals you all have!

What if ... Lucy's father hadn't died? Her life would have been so different. I think there's a chance she might have made it to Hollywood even in this scenario, since she had so much drive & ambition. But maybe not.

Also, (& I know this could never have happened because of zoning laws), what if her Roxbury House had been turned into a museum like Elvis' Graceland? As popular as she still is today I think it would have worked well.

PS --Hooray to those of you who stuck up for Viv earlier in this thread :lucythrill: ! I don't know the numerical facts about the ratings so could be totally wrong here, but I always assumed the ratings dropped because Viv left the show ...

Great topics! Also I will never say a bad word of Vivian. I have such love and admiration for her. She really is a wonderful talent and people forget how beautiful she truly was. I wish she could've been in more films!

Now, my opinion on those topics are:

As for if her father didn't pass away topic, I think she would've made it to Hollywood sooner! With her father there she wouldn't have dealt with moving from family member to family member. I believe she would've still had the love of acting. Plus with her father and maybe DeDe working they would have a bit more cash to allow them to follow Lucy to NYC or Hollywood. I believe she would have had a greater chance to get her goals. They would be more "handed to her" in a way. Less struggling to get her where she wanted to be. Which of course would make her a completely different type of person. This is just my take on it.

To the Roxbury home topic! I believe it would make some moolah, but it would be no Graceland! The simple fact is that it is near Hollywood, where there are so many attractions already. I know Graceland is in Memphis, but Elvis is the main attraction there. Plus I don't think Elvis' popularity will ever die down, Elvis did die in that house, and he remains there. But for instance, we have Jamestown for Lucy. It's a town not well known but she is the main attraction there. It's Lucy Town, USA! The prospect of having Roxbury be an attraction would be incredible though. Being able to see her home the way it was and all of the wonderful things that could be on display.

PS --Hooray to those of you who stuck up for Viv earlier in this thread :lucythrill:  ! I don't know the numerical facts about the ratings so could be totally wrong here, but I always assumed the ratings dropped because Viv left the show ...

The ratings got a lot better when Viv left, but not BECAUSE she left, rather because that opened up the plots for different things like going to Hollywood and all.

To the Roxbury home topic! I believe it would make some moolah, but it would be no Graceland! The simple fact is that it is near Hollywood, where there are so many attractions already. I know Graceland is in Memphis, but Elvis is the main attraction there. Plus I don't think Elvis' popularity will ever die down, Elvis did die in that house, and he remains there. But for instance, we have Jamestown for Lucy. It's a town not well known but she is the main attraction there. It's Lucy Town, USA! The prospect of having Roxbury be an attraction would be incredible though. Being able to see her home the way it was and all of the wonderful things that could be on display.                                                                                            NICE TO IMAGINE THOUGH, IF IT HAD BEEN POSSIBLE!

As for if her father didn't pass away topic, I think she would've made it to Hollywood sooner! With her father there she wouldn't have dealt with moving from family member to family member. I believe she would've still had the love of acting. Plus with her father and maybe DeDe working they would have a bit more cash to allow them to follow Lucy to NYC or Hollywood. I believe she would have had a greater chance to get her goals. They would be more "handed to her" in a way. Less struggling to get her where she wanted to be. Which of course would make her a completely different type of person. This is just my take on it.

To the Roxbury home topic! I believe it would make some moolah, but it would be no Graceland! The simple fact is that it is near Hollywood, where there are so many attractions already. I know Graceland is in Memphis, but Elvis is the main attraction there. Plus I don't think Elvis' popularity will ever die down, Elvis did die in that house, and he remains there. But for instance, we have Jamestown for Lucy. It's a town not well known but she is the main attraction there. It's Lucy Town, USA! The prospect of having Roxbury be an attraction would be incredible though. Being able to see her home the way it was and all of the wonderful things that could be on display.

I don't think she would have gone to Hollywood at all. Most performers are damaged in some way and find themselves looking for love or approval they felt they didn't have in their childhood. Of course this may not be the case for EVERY performer but it certainly was for Lucy. Had her childhood been happier I don't think she would have been as driven to (in her mind) BECOME someone or something big. Nor would she have been such a gifted actress. 

What if Ann Sothern stayed on as a regular on The Lucy Show? 

What if Desi Arnaz, Jr. never left Here's Lucy?

What if the original Lucy writers never called it quits after the second season of TLS?

What if Gale Gordon co-starred in I Love Lucy as Fred Mertz?

What if Vivian Vance agreed to do the The Mertzes spin-off series?

What if the original half-hour I Love Lucy had gone on for a seventh season, eight season, ninth season, etc.?

What if I Love Lucy never existed and The Lucy Show was Lucy's breakthrough series? Would she still be considered a television icon? Would The Lucy Show have had a better syndication life?

What if Lucy Ricardo gave to birth a girl (instead of a boy), thus the Ricardos having a daughter?

What if William Frawley had died during the run of I Love Lucy?
What if Lucy was born in 1921 or later?

What if Lucy's voice had never gotten raspy and hoarse as she aged?

What if Lucy was one of the four leading ladies in The Golden Girls? How would the dynamic in that series be?

What if Life with Lucy was a smash hit or even just a sitcom with respectable ratings?

What if Lucy had never died in 1989? What would she be doing in the 90s? What if she was around now?

What if Desi Arnaz made a guest appearance in Here's Lucy as himself, Ricky Ricardo, or another character? What if he had a recurring role in the series, both on and off stage or either?

What if Lucy had never returned to television after her successful I Love Lucy run?

What if the 1972 The Lucie Arnaz Show pilot (featured as a Here's Lucy episode) led to the series?

What if the various Lucy television series had spin-offs of their own?

What if The Andy Griffith Show was a spin-off of I Love Lucy (instead of Make Room for Daddy)?

What if The Dick Van Dyke Show  was a spin-off of I Love Lucy?

What if I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show both gave birth to the same spin-off?

I don't think she would have gone to Hollywood at all. Most performers are damaged in some way and find themselves looking for love or approval they felt they didn't have in their childhood. Of course this may not be the case for EVERY performer but it certainly was for Lucy. Had her childhood been happier I don't think she would have been as driven to (in her mind) BECOME someone or something big. Nor would she have been such a gifted actress.

I can see what you are saying. But if this was the case most people in the world would be performers! :)

Whether her father was there or not, I feel she would have the love of acting. It was the vaudeville shows that made her love acting. It's as simple as having a passion for something. I don't think that would change if her father would have lived. But I feel as if the oppurtunity would have been more than likely easier for her.

I also stated she would be a completely different person. So many values that she did learn from the various people she lived with would be absentee. Plus the strength she received from DeDe for being an only parent, would also be absent.

The ratings got a lot better when Viv left, but not BECAUSE she left, rather because that opened up the plots for different things like going to Hollywood and all.

That is partially incorrect. Despite the slight ratings increase in season four from season three, the show still did better in it's early years when Viv was on the show. Just look:

1962-63 season (season 1): 29.8 / 4th 

1963-64 season (season 2): 28.1 / 6th

1964-65 season (season 3): 26.6 / 8th

1965-66 season (season 4): 27.7 / 3rd

1966-67 season (season 5): 26.2 / 4th

1967-68 season (season 6): 27.0 / 2nd

The show's first two seasons did better in ratings or attracted more viewers than it's last four seasons. The show's lowest-rated season (i.e. season five) of the entire series was actually a non-Viv season with a rating of 26.2

Despite the fact that The Lucy Show scored higher ratings in its first few years, it proved to be much more competitive in its later years as it moved closer to being the number one show. If the show's ratings in its later seasons matched the rating of its first season it probably would have been the number one program in the country. Let's look and see:

Highest program rating in the 1965-1966 season: 31.8 (TV's No. #1 Show - Bonanza)

Highest program rating in the 1966-1967 season: 29.1 (TV's No. #1 Show - Bonanza)

Highest program rating in the 1967-1968 season: 27.6 (TV's No. #1 Show - The Andy Griffith Show)

Yes, if the ratings of season five and six were the same as the season one (29.8), that would have made The Lucy Show the number one program in the county in the 1966-67 and 1967-68 TV seasons.

If you noticed, season one of The Lucy Show did better in the ratings than the highest-rated programs (Bonanza and The Andy Griffith Show, respectively) of the 1966-67 and 1967-68 seasons29.8 / 29.1 and 29.8 / 27.6

Overall, The Lucy Show's ratings were at their lowest during the later seasons. However, the first non-Viv season (4th) fared better than the last Viv season (3rd)So actually the show's ratings increased slightly with the new format and then began to tamper off again.

3rd season: 26.6

4th season: 27.7 

BEEN MULLING THIS OVER SINCE ITS INCEPTION: [AND, DUE TO SOME MACHINE MAINTENANCE PAST FEW DAYS; HAVE NOT GOTTEN CAUGHT UP ON MY READING; SO SOMEONE MAY HAVE ALREADY THOUGHT OF IT] 

GOD FORBID; WHAT IF THEY HAD NEVER MET?

NONE OF US WOULD BE SITTING HERE VISITING RIGHT NOW....

BEEN MULLING THIS OVER SINCE ITS INCEPTION: [AND, DUE TO SOME MACHINE MAINTENANCE PAST FEW DAYS; HAVE NOT GOTTEN CAUGHT UP ON MY READING; SO SOMEONE MAY HAVE ALREADY THOUGHT OF IT] 

GOD FORBID; WHAT IF THEY HAD NEVER MET?

NONE OF US WOULD BE SITTING HERE VISITING RIGHT NOW....

so true...

Archived