What if..

Annaleigh

Desi could have just HELD ON to the films AND distribution rights, he was a supposed PIONEER after all, so HE could have sold them to foreign markets, he had a whole slew of people who could have told him how to do it.  Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard did so well selling THEIR reruns that they made several offers for ownership of Desilu.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across this passage Lucie said in the Talk magazine article from 1998. She mentions that Lucy was thinking about writing her autobio in her later years and was worried about what to say. Should she tell stories of people or not? Lucy then says “what the hell. Half of them are dead anyway”. Upon reminding Lucy about Dad’s book Lucy said “He didn’t tell all the stuff he could have.”

Lucie suggested that since she never did this before that she might want to talk with a therapist about the stuff she was afraid about and see what comes out. Lucy “hit the ceiling” and called therapists every name in the book. When Lucie told her mom she was seeing a therapist they got into a huge fight and didn’t talk for weeks. It all stemmed from in Lucy’s day you didn’t go to a therapist because if the gossip columnists caught wind of it they would think you were really crazy.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What if she had accepted Desi's proposal in late 1960, or at the very least changed her mind when the ring and medal were delivered to her.

I think a brief period of happiness followed by more fighting and divorce. Without actually working out any of their issues or making a strong commitment to change, the cycle would have repeated itself. That's. Not to say it was hopeless, I think with help and a some deep thinking about what they both actually wanted out of life and their careers and commitment to do what it took it could have worked. But they weren't in that place by 1960. What a shame neither of them sought out deal help, even religious marital help if psychologists weren't available.

It's been a while since of these but I had a dream about this last night (sad I know!) so here goes. What if Lucy has meet Gary in 1954-1955 when their relationship was first starting to go slightly rocky but overall she was still quite happy. Would she have found any romantic appeal in him and ultimately still divorced Desi and married him? Or would she have developed a platonic friendship based of his warmth and good qualities? Or ignored him as too boring!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I just found a great Barbara Walters special from 2006 called 30 Mistakes in 30 years. Its really my favorite special from her and im not much of a Barbara Walters fan. Barbara gives some very interesting commentary on her interview with Lucy. Go find it on youtube.

I would love to see this but I can't find it Could you please, please, please post a link

Archived