"Mary Poppins" Blu-Ray Debut this December

Mot Morenzi

What with all our talk about the Punchy Players pairing of Lucy and Julie Andrews, thought I'd mention that Julie's perennial classic "Mary Poppins" will debut in hi-def this December.

_1376785164.jpg

I must say that this cover art is unlike any cover design this movie has ever had before. I'm not quite sure what I make of it yet, but I am excitied at seeing the film in high-definition finally.

"Cute"?? That "cute movie" revitalized Disney animation and its resurgence and is in large part responsible for the subsequent now-classics Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.   :lucyhehe:

Yes, it played a huge role in bringing Disney animation back into vogue and for that it is to be commended. But it'll never be at the top of my "Disney" list for favorites. I like the film, to be sure, but it's a bit too mainstream for me. Also, at least the earliest pictures Walt made didn't alter the endings to the source material, even if other elements were downplayed. But I can't help but wish she'd just turn into seafoam at the end like she's supposed to :P

That way we could've been spared the sequel!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a re-release of "Poppins" some time ago: late 80s or early 90s. As we were already into the CGI era, I was amazed that some of the special effects, wonderful when it was originally made, were so transparent...particularly the "Spoonful of Sugar" room clean up scene with everything going awry (script consultant: Milt Josefsburg??). So not sure how they will fare in Blu-Ray. (Side note/question: is Blu-Ray all THAT much better than DVD? They're cheap but other than the advantage of the internet hook-up, I don't see the need to get one) The Sherman Brothers sure pumped out an excellent original score, didn't they? I may have posted this before, but I read somewhere that the Disney people approached Glynis and she thought she was going to offered the lead. Her "Sister Suffragette" (my favorite song/number in the movie) was a bit of a consolation, because it's the one song that's completely unnecessary to the plot. Perhaps her involvement in the woman's suffrage movement was more significant in the original treatment or in the original book. I don't think the "Sister" song made it to the Broadway version. Does anyone know what other songs were cut? I know someone who saw the Broadway production and thought it was TERRIBLE. I must point out that he is one of those people that think everything is either great or awful, no in-between.

"Poppins" may have been the last great original musical score to come out of Hollywood. Can't think of another one.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks" isn't bad. Seems they were trying to recreate the Poppins magic but it didn't get much respect...nor did it convince executives that Angela Lansbury had movie star power and charisma when they were casting a certain movie at about the time of "B&B"'s release.

And as we know now, the first actress to play Mary Poppins was none other than our own Mary Wickes in an early TV production. I wonder if a kine survives.

What with all our talk about the Punchy Players pairing of Lucy and Julie Andrews, thought I'd mention that Julie's perennial classic "Mary Poppins" will debut in hi-def this December.

I must say that this cover art is unlike any cover design this movie has ever had before. I'm not quite sure what I make of it yet, but I am excitied at seeing the film in high-definition finally.

And as we know now, the first actress to play Mary Poppins was none other than our own Mary Wickes in an early TV production. I wonder if a kine survives.

Mary Wickes' Mary Poppins exists. The Paley Center has a copy. You can view a very short clip of it here: http://www.paleycenter.org/brightcove/videos/screening-room-tdim.html (You may have to type in "Mary Poppins" in the little box under where it says "This Day in Media.")

I saw a re-release of "Poppins" some time ago: late 80s or early 90s. As we were already into the CGI era, I was amazed that some of the special effects, wonderful when it was originally made, were so transparent...particularly the "Spoonful of Sugar" room clean up scene with everything going awry (script consultant: Milt Josefsburg??). So not sure how they will fare in Blu-Ray. (Side note/question: is Blu-Ray all THAT much better than DVD? They're cheap but other than the advantage of the internet hook-up, I don't see the need to get one) The Sherman Brothers sure pumped out an excellent original score, didn't they? I may have posted this before, but I read somewhere that the Disney people approached Glynis and she thought she was going to offered the lead. Her "Sister Suffragette" (my favorite song/number in the movie) was a bit of a consolation, because it's the one song that's completely unnecessary to the plot. Perhaps her involvement in the woman's suffrage movement was more significant in the original treatment or in the original book. I don't think the "Sister" song made it to the Broadway version. Does anyone know what other songs were cut? I know someone who saw the Broadway production and thought it was TERRIBLE. I must point out that he is one of those people that think everything is either great or awful, no in-between."Poppins" may have been the last great original musical score to come out of Hollywood. Can't think of another one.Bedknobs and Broomsticks" isn't bad. Seems they were trying to recreate the Poppins magic but it didn't get much respect...nor did it convince executives that Angela Lansbury had movie star power and charisma when they were casting a certain movie at about the time of "B&B"'s release.And as we know now, the first actress to play Mary Poppins was none other than our own Mary Wickes in an early TV production. I wonder if a kine survives.

Blu-ray offers a definite upgrade over DVD. It may not be as drastic a difference as VHS to DVD was but it is noticeable. Blu-ray is best when you have a large TV. The difference won't be as noticeable on smaller screens.

Archived