Lucy episodes you forget about

I can understand. Here's Lucy is a complex series ... sometimes it's a sitcom, other times it's a musical-variety show, sometimes it's guest-star driven, other times it's regular cast-driven, sometimes it's new material, other times it's recycled material, ect.. Different team or pair of writers for every other episode. New writers left and right and for some wrote one or two episodes and then left. It is an inconsistent series from beginning to end in that regard. I guess Lucy was getting tired of the daily grind of the sitcom format and wanted to try new things, be contemporary and put some "spice" in this series. Not to mention she probably figured that the well was going to dry up quick in sticking with an only-sitcom format given by the start of Here's Lucy she already starred as basically the same character in over 300 sitcom-oriented episodes.

Which episodes are you trying to forget? Just wondering.

Primarily any gorilla episodes! And you're right, Here's Lucy varies so much that it's hard to do a viewing in order as you'll get something different each time. Some may consider that a plus, but usually I'm in the mood for a specific type of episode and will tend to seek out those. Sometimes I want just the family doing funny stuff, other times I might be in the mood to see a guest star parade, or once in a while a musical themed marathon. So it'd be hard for me to just sit down and go through the list of them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primarily any gorilla episodes! And you're right, Here's Lucy varies so much that it's hard to do a viewing in order as you'll get something different each time. Some may consider that a plus, but usually I'm in the mood for a specific type of episode and will tend to seek out those. Sometimes I want just the family doing funny stuff, other times I might be in the mood to see a guest star parade, or once in a while a musical themed marathon. So it'd be hard for me to just sit down and go through the list of them.

A lot of people around here seem to have strong dislike towards the gorilla/monkey/animal episodes. I guess you are no exception, either. They don't bother me at all. I just take it for what it is and move on. As long as I find the plot to be (somewhat) believable, then I am fine with it. 

Yeah, Here's Lucy does offer some variety, that's for sure! You never know what you are going to get. Maybe Lucille Ball did that on purpose to keep the interest of the viewers from faltering.

A lot of people around here seem to have strong dislike towards the gorilla/monkey/animal episodes. I guess you are no exception, either. They don't bother me at all. I just take it for what it is and move on. As long as I find the plot to be (somewhat) believable, then I am fine with it. 

Yeah, Here's Lucy does offer some variety, that's for sure! You never know what you are going to get. Maybe Lucille Ball did that on purpose to keep the interest of the viewers from faltering.

The only episode involving monkeys I don't really mind is the babysitting episode of The Lucy Show. I don't hate all of them, I just don't find myself repeating them all that often. Not my personal preferences.

Yes I Do Not Care For Any Of The Monkey/Gorilla Episodes, The One Titled "Lucys Lucky Day" Is A Prime Example, Although It Is Almost Saved By The Wonderful Vaudeville Routine At The End, The Chimp Spoils It, I Think Lucy Must Have Liked Working With Animals Because She Did So In Quite A Few Episodes Of All Her Series, Even ILL Had The Chickens And A Few Others That Don't Come To Mind Just Now

There Was Heres Lucy Where Kim Gets A Job Looking After Various Animals And Lucy Ends Up Doing It, I Don't Care For That One Really,

I Have Watched The Lucy Show, All The Way Though On DVD Recently And Am Up To Season 5 Of Heres Lucy, And There Are More HL Episodes Don't Like Than There Are ILL Or TLS, I Think I Love Almost All Of The I Love Lucy Episodes, And As For The Lucy Show & Heres Lucy I Like The Ones That Just Concern Something At The Office Or Lucy's Home, I Don't Like The Season 2 Location Episodes

As memorable as some episodes are, there are a few that I always seem to forget about until I look at the DVD episode list and go "oh yeah! That one!" Sometimes I recall the title but not the plot.

A few that I forget about are Cuban Pals, The Saxophone, The Fox Hunt, Lucy's Night in Town, Ricky's Life Story, Bicycle Trip, Lucy Hates to Leave and Little Ricky Plays the Drums. I couldn't give you a detailed synopsis of any of those episodes as I always forget about them.

I like "Bicycle Trip", its one of my favorite Europe episodes.

Point taken on I Love Lucy, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour and the first season of The Lucy Show but not so much with the remaining eleven Lucy seasons that follow afterwards unless they are in black and white. But watching those in black and white doesn't sound all that appealing, at least, to me anyways. It will be just weird. 

Hey, i'll take her shows any way I can get them, 3D, in cartoon form, in video game format or anything.

If I read the title of the episode I know the plot and that applies to every Lucy episode ever. Not every line or scene. But the main jist of the episode.

Like if I know I wanna watch Lucy I will skim through each episode to know which one I want to watch because as I read through I am reminded one by one the main plot of the episode.

Don't you know which ep it is after seeing like thirty seconds at the beginning when they're shown on TV?  One day, I have to start typing the descriptions  these Indians are giving them on the satellite grid.  They HAVE to be done in some foreign country as these people don't have the foggiest idea when it comes to any Lucy show.

I don't think I could ever watch Here's Lucy in order. There are many episodes of that series I WANT to forget about. I can only pick and choose with that one.

There, we disagree, I always start from ep 1 for Here's lucy, loved the show when it was about bridging that generation gap, and with her own kids yet, if they had been better written it would have helped though.  Hi mom and ah geez mom does not warrant Emmy consideration, LOL!

Yeah, I would think after awhile of not seeing a particular episode that your memory of it would become fuzzy. I guess it depends on the number of times you've seen it and the last time it was viewed. I have had the same thing happen to me with certain episodes of other series. Not so with I Love Lucy.

And speaking of which, I've been thinking over the past year about taking a lengthy break from I Love Lucy for a certain amount of time so that way it would be "new" to me when I get back to it. However, it would just be weird to go without ILL as it is the one that I have consistently watched throughout the years. Not to mention, it is my all-time favorite. It's my guilty pleasure as some would say. So I feel I am stuck between rock and hard place. I guess I can substitute the other Lucy programs for I Love Lucy but it's not exactly the same. And it is especially hard (depending on the episode and the mood I am in) to pass up a televised airing of the ILL series. I don't know. It's a tough decision, lol.

I can understand. Here's Lucy is a complex series ... sometimes it's a sitcom, other times it's a musical-variety show, sometimes it's guest-star driven, other times it's regular cast-driven, sometimes it's new material, other times it's recycled material, ect.. Different team or pair of writers for every other episode. New writers left and right and for some wrote one or two episodes and then left. It is an inconsistent series from beginning to end in that regard. I guess Lucy was getting tired of the daily grind of the sitcom format and wanted to try new things, be contemporary and put some "spice" in this series. Not to mention she probably figured that the well was going to dry up quick in sticking with an only-sitcom format given by the start of Here's Lucy she already starred as basically the same character in over 300 sitcom-oriented episodes.

Which episodes are you trying to forget? Just wondering.

That was tried on us here for about ten years or more, as we NEVER saw any of her shows for a decade or more, SO WE DID FORGET SOME.  BUT, thankfully, with the advent of VCR's, we were able to record them at first and then even buy them and start collections and watch them whenever we wanted.  I think that BREAK was a good thing.

Not true, the inconsistency happened more at the end, it was fine in the first years.

Wrong again, she wanted everything to always be the same, it was someone else always hiring the cheapest available writers that ruined the series.  The series was carried by HER till the very end, thank God!  People tuned in to see Lucy, not her co stars, not the lousy scripts, Hope was doing the same type of crap on his variety specials.

The only episode involving monkeys I don't really mind is the babysitting episode of The Lucy Show. I don't hate all of them, I just don't find myself repeating them all that often. Not my personal preferences.

No, I think you said it better before, if the show was BELIEVABLE, we laughed, if it was a man in a gorilla suit, that was a bit much, overreaching for laughs.

Yes I Do Not Care For Any Of The Monkey/Gorilla Episodes, The One Titled "Lucys Lucky Day" Is A Prime Example, Although It Is Almost Saved By The Wonderful Vaudeville Routine At The End, The Chimp Spoils It, I Think Lucy Must Have Liked Working With Animals Because She Did So In Quite A Few Episodes Of All Her Series, Even ILL Had The Chickens And A Few Others That Don't Come To Mind Just Now

I dun't thin it was the fact that she liked working with animals, it was more the fact that they couldn't come up with something NEW for her to do.

I like "Bicycle Trip", its one of my favorite Europe episodes.

Not me, hate that one.  I think there's some good and some bad all thru the European episodes BUT, let's not forget that it's not normal to have seen each show a thousand times, so some that are watchable get on our last nerve after a while.

Wrong again, she wanted everything to always be the same, it was someone else always hiring the cheapest available writers that ruined the series. The series was carried by HER till the very end, thank God! People tuned in to see Lucy, not her co stars, not the lousy scripts, Hope was doing the same type of crap on his variety specials.

But you can't deny there is an inconsistency and variety to the episodes. I expect Lucy enjoyed doing the musical ones as well as the low key ones. And I tend to like to go with a certain theme in my selection.

Yeah, Here's Lucy does offer some variety, that's for sure! You never know what you are going to get. Maybe Lucille Ball did that on purpose to keep the interest of the viewers from faltering.

I'm the same. I don't understand the dislike of them. It's about the comedy and c'mon it is acting! For instance I have no problem with Mooney the Monkey, I find it entertaining. I watch them all and take the good out of them. If I'm gonna watch a series I'm gonna make the best out of each episodes. The only show I rarely watch Rain Goddess episode, that one really truly bores me.

I'm the same. I don't understand the dislike of them. It's about the comedy and c'mon it is acting! For instance I have no problem with Mooney the Monkey, I find it entertaining. I watch them all and take the good out of them. If I'm gonna watch a series I'm gonna make the best out of each episodes. The only show I rarely watch Rain Goddess episode, that one really truly bores me.

Ugh, rain goddess. There's one I won't mind forgetting about. Very slow and dull IMO.

I guess I just don't find monkeys funny. Let alone a poor man in a suit. I've never been partial to human/animal interaction type comedy. Not my style, and that goes for Lucy's interactions with them.

Nope, you're wrong, there was consistency while both kids were on with her, so sue me! LOL!

I should specify that I mean inconsistent in terms of QUALITY, not continuity or tone. The later years don't have as much consistency plot wise but I find them funnier. Season 5 has to be my favorite season.

Ugh, rain goddess. There's one I won't mind forgetting about. Very slow and dull IMO.

I guess I just don't find monkeys funny. Let alone a poor man in a suit. I've never been partial to human/animal interaction type comedy. Not my style, and that goes for Lucy's interactions with them.

To me I love the animal interaction. She acts well with animals, and it makes for a great plot. Just think when Lucy got these actual animal scripts. She agreed to act alongside a real animal. An animal that has the mind of its own, but she owned it every time. And why? Believeability, she believed every thing she did on those shows!

To me I love the animal interaction. She acts well with animals, and it makes for a great plot. Just think when Lucy got these actual animal scripts. She agreed to act alongside a real animal. An animal that has the mind of its own, but she owned it every time. And why? Believeability, she believed every thing she did on those shows!

I think you should have done Public Relations along with Tom Watson for her, LOL!

I should specify that I mean inconsistent in terms of QUALITY, not continuity or tone. The later years don't have as much consistency plot wise but I find them funnier. Season 5 has to be my favorite season.

True, by that time, it was a well oiled machine cranking them out thru rote as one author put it.   

Archived