Lucy episodes you forget about

True, by that time, it was a well oiled machine cranking them out thru rote as one author put it.

Not that the first three years don't have their moments for me...they do. But I tend to repeat seasons 4-6 more often. Once Bob and Madelyn were back on board part time I think the overall quality improved a lot.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me I love the animal interaction. She acts well with animals, and it makes for a great plot. Just think when Lucy got these actual animal scripts. She agreed to act alongside a real animal. An animal that has the mind of its own, but she owned it every time. And why? Believeability, she believed every thing she did on those shows!

Yes she did believe and its certainly impressive that she did what she did. Animal comedy just really isn't my thing. That goes for any type, not just Lucy's. The exception is the babysitter one, because her actions with the three chimps is really quite adorable. All the more so as she was by herself with them. No Gale or Viv there to support. And I love the card game outtake where she says "I don't blame you, this is a helluva game!"

Not that the first three years don't have their moments for me...they do. But I tend to repeat seasons 4-6 more often. Once Bob and Madelyn were back on board part time I think the overall quality improved a lot.

I do the opposite.  Just loved the fact that she was acting with her own kids.  Wish Desi had played her ex husband too, LOL!

Yes she did believe and its certainly impressive that she did what she did. Animal comedy just really isn't my thing. That goes for any type, not just Lucy's. The exception is the babysitter one, because her actions with the three chimps is really quite adorable. All the more so as she was by herself with them. No Gale or Viv there to support. And I love the card game outtake where she says "I don't blame you, this is a helluva game!"

This we have in common, as her writer, I NEVER would have resorted to those animal episodes.  But she was able to turn baloney into caviar very easily, thank God.

It's not exactly a "forgotten" episode, but I finally got Canada's Comedy Gold channel and couldn't believe how long it has been since I've watched The Anniversary Present -- so long, so fresh! (And it also cemented Gloria as my preferred Blondell sister. lol)

It's not exactly a "forgotten" episode, but I finally got Canada's Comedy Gold channel and couldn't believe how long it has been since I've watched The Anniversary Present -- so long, so fresh! (And it also cemented Gloria as my preferred Blondell sister. lol)

Good point. I like that episode but I rarely think to watch it.

I know, wasn't her sister just gorgeous?  I would have killed them if they'd gotten paint all over my couch and living room!

The Inferiority Complex is another one I tend to overlook. It's not one of my favorites, and re-watching it last night reminded me why. First time I'd seen it in over 10 years I expect.

When I was a kid I loved that episode. But like you said not one I have the urge the watch.

• 3 months later...

I just watched "Oil Wells" for the first time in its entirety. I saw part of it in syndication almost 15 years ago or something and I didn't have fond memories of it. It was better than I expected but it won't become a personal favorite. I HATE plots where everybody makes an agreement about something, yet when it turns out to be wrong they all blame Lucy, even though they were happy to go along with it at first.

I think "Baby Pictures" is a great episode, with comedy firmly rooted in the characters. (Also, some delicious stuff between Lucy and Carolyn!) 

I agree that "Oil Wells" isn't a standout effort -- too formulaic in its premise and structure. But, since it's an I Love Lucy episode, there ARE some laughs. 

Archived