Lucy and Phyllis Diller

Being a fan of Phyllis Diller, I wondered why she and Lucy never really worked together. She was the subject of a Here's Lucy episode, but even then didn't even do a cameo. I think they both appeared in at least 1 Bob Hope special (the one with a load of his leading movie ladies as guests). Were they friends? I would imagine they were casual showbiz colleagues hence the HL episode.

I wonder if Phyllis' much maligned sitcom THE PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON will ever see a DVD release - the series was shown in the 1980s here in the UK in a handful of ITV regions (including mine). And what about the equally rare 1966 film DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE TRAVELLING SALESLADY

Being a fan of Phyllis Diller, I wondered why she and Lucy never really worked together. She was the subject of a Here's Lucy episode, but even then didn't even do a cameo. I think they both appeared in at least 1 Bob Hope special (the one with a load of his leading movie ladies as guests). Were they friends? I would imagine they were casual showbiz colleagues hence the HL episode.

I wonder if Phyllis' much maligned sitcom THE PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON will ever see a DVD release - the series was shown in the 1980s here in the UK in a handful of ITV regions (including mine). And what about the equally rare 1966 film DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE TRAVELLING SALESLADY

Yes, they were friends and respected each other's talent. Lucy did not work with loads of people she should have, who knows what the reasons were. Yes, that Hope special was an exception, but they only appeared briefly together in that hillbilly sketch where Brooke Shields and Barbara Mandrell were the beautiful daughters of Lucy and Phyllis trotted out as the ugly duckling, as usual. I doubt The Pruitts of South Hampton would make it out on dvd as it was a failed and very short series a la Life with Lucy but at least you have Boy did i get a wrong number out on dvd don't you?

I have her 3 Hope movies on DVD yes.

I suspect the Pruitts would never get a release - but then other shortlived failed sitcoms have made it onto DVD - IM DICKENS HE'S FENSTER, supposedly WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN is due, POLICE SQUAD, and the scifi sitcom QUARK. So who knows, besides didn't Phyllis produce her sitcom (PHILDIL productions) - the second half of the series was quite bad - new theme music, new title, ditching of some of the cast, the introductions of new regulars. One bright spot was an unbilled cameo by Bob Hope in one episode :gale2:

I suspect the Pruitts would never get a release - but then other shortlived failed sitcoms have made it onto DVD - IM DICKENS HE'S FENSTER, supposedly WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN is due, POLICE SQUAD, and the scifi sitcom QUARK. So who knows, besides didn't Phyllis produce her sitcom (PHILDIL productions) - the second half of the series was quite bad - new theme music, new title, ditching of some of the cast, the introductions of new regulars. One bright spot was an unbilled cameo by Bob Hope in one episode :gale2:

You know what? I hate it when great talents like Phyllis are ignored in their final years, ill bet you when she passes on, they'll give her all these tributes of her being a pioneer in female stand up comedy and finally realize what they're losing, same thing happened to Rodney Dangerfield. And then they'll try and dig up all the lost material she did and finally bring it out. You know, same thing that happened to Lucy, SNL finally asking her to host as she lay dying and they realized what they were losing, then a few days later, she was gone.

Police Squad is in a different league, i own it, it was the Rocky Horror of TV shows, it had this incredible cult following and like Family Guy, only got bigger when it finally got out on video and later dvd.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this thread up since Phyllis recently passed away. Regarding Lucy not working with Phyllis, well Lucy didn't really work with a lot of other comediennes, not even with Eve Arden if you don't count the little cameo in ILL and of course they were good friends.

It wouldn't surprise me if a speciality dvd company would release Phyllis' flop series (weren't there two of them?) on dvd, there have been a few one-season things from the 60s/70s that have emerged. I remember watching Phyllis in THE ADDING MACHINE (1969) on the local late show 30 years ago; only time I ever saw that obscure film which had her playing a fairly dramatic role.

You know what? I hate it when great talents like Phyllis are ignored in their final years, ill bet you when she passes on, they'll give her all these tributes of her being a pioneer in female stand up comedy and finally realize what they're losing, same thing happened to Rodney Dangerfield. And then they'll try and dig up all the lost material she did and finally bring it out. You know, same thing that happened to Lucy, SNL finally asking her to host as she lay dying and they realized what they were losing, then a few days later, she was gone.

You were right as always Claude. I have to admit I was surprised at some of the lavish tributes; the movie-tv industry website Internet Movie Database gave Phyllis a banner (Phyllis Diller 1917-2012) at the top of the page and they don't often do that, didn't even do it for Andy Griffith (which shocked me).

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived