Season Two of THE LUCY SHOW

I've gotten the impression elsewhere that some people on this thread don't especially care for this season as a whole. I, too, am one of them.

I can't really put it into words why, but a number of episodes this season just don't do it for me. It was only the second year of the show, yet it already seemed to be running out of ideas.

Not that I dislike the entire season, far from it. Lucy Gets Locked in the Vault, Safe Cracker, Lucy Decides to Redecorate, The Loophole in the Lease, Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing and Ethel Merman and the Boy Scouts Show are among my favorites of the entire series. But those are the only ones I tend to rewatch on a regular basis.

I think part of the issue might have been integrating Gale too quickly into the proceedings. After his two part introduction, Lucy acts as if he's always been her banker, and he acts like she's always been a thorn in his side. The format changed too fast or something, because it wasn't long before Viv got relegated to the sidelines and never truly came back as Lucy's equal, save for a few episodes.

But what is everyone else's take?

I think that few of the episodes are really bad, but there are too many that are just blah. Madelyn & the Bobs were running out of steam, I think. Contrast that to Season Three where the majority of the episodes are quite memorable -- whether they're excellent or not. 

The ones I really like in season 2 would be Lucy's College Reunion (I like the times when Lucy and Viv work as team on some crazy stunt, Taking the statue up all those stairs) Lucy Conducts the Symphony, and I also like the Ethel Merman ones.  I also like Lucy gets Lock In The Vault and Lucy And The Safe Cracker

doesn't anybody like Kiddie Parties Inc? Or is that one too far fetched? 

Anyway, yeah season 2 wasn't one of my favorites, especially the 2nd half but it does have some gems. like "Lucy Plays Cleopatra," "Lucy and Viv play Softball," "Military Acadamy," (but that's typical Lucy dresses up as a man to sneak in)  "Lucy gets locked in the vault," "Lucy decides to redecorate," "Lucy conducts the symphony," "Lucy plays Florence Nightingale," "Lucy Goes to Art Class," "Lucy meets a millionaire," "Lucy Goes into Politics," (for the "Mr. Looney" billboard scene) and "Viv Moves Out." (for Up a Lazy River) A few duds that really stand out for me are the Golf one, the restaurant one, the process server one, taking a job at the bank, own lawyer, bank scandal, and the scout trip. Who am I kidding? On 2nd glance, there's a lot from season 2 that I enjoy more than dislike. I couldn't even finish the golf one. awful! And I think the best part of the restaurant one is when the construction workers start blasting the land and it rocks the place. 

doesn't anybody like Kiddie Parties Inc? Or is that one too far fetched? 

Anyway, yeah season 2 wasn't one of my favorites, especially the 2nd half but it does have some gems. like "Lucy Plays Cleopatra," "Lucy and Viv play Softball," "Military Acadamy," (but that's typical Lucy dresses up as a man to sneak in)  "Lucy gets locked in the vault," "Lucy decides to redecorate," "Lucy conducts the symphony," "Lucy plays Florence Nightingale," "Lucy Goes to Art Class," "Lucy meets a millionaire," "Lucy Goes into Politics," (for the "Mr. Looney" billboard scene) and "Viv Moves Out." (for Up a Lazy River) A few duds that really stand out for me are the Golf one, the restaurant one, the process server one, taking a job at the bank, own lawyer, bank scandal, and the scout trip. Who am I kidding? On 2nd glance, there's a lot from season 2 that I enjoy more than dislike. I couldn't even finish the golf one. awful! And I think the best part of the restaurant one is when the construction workers start blasting the land and it rocks the place. 

Kiddie parties is one of the best episodes of that season, well written and well executed all the way through and the characters shine beautifully.  Terrific Lucy bit with the flying over the area too.  I think most of the Danfield eps were true to the lifestyle of that time but somewhat stilted compared to the later three seasons where Hollywood and stars are involved.  Don't forget there were loads of other tv shows doing the same shtick at that time.

I happen to really enjoy season two of The Lucy Show.  The only episode I really hate is Lucy Takes Up Golf w/Gary Morton and the season opener Lucy Plays Cleopatra was kind of weak.  I love Lucy & the Millionaire and Lucy Conducts the Symphony.  Lucy performance in Symphony should have earned her an emmy nomination and a win for season two.  She also should have won for season one but lost to that Hazel gal. 

Anyone notice how after Lucy knocks over all the percussion instruments in "Symphony," it cuts to a shot of the conductor and in the background, one of the studio lights is on fire.   :lucywow:

Gotta check that out, amazing what you guys are noticing now that we can see the episodes so clear.

Season 2 is my favorite of the entire series, mine and Richard Boone's, filled with gems such as

"Chris Goes Steady". It's the most solid season, IMO. Every other season has a real loser or two, but even the worst of season2 has something going for it. Even Kiddie Parties with Lucy and Viv grasping at straws trying to impress the prospective client. They claim they have a clown and when client asks what animal acts they have, they pause then Viv says "I don't know. The clown has my list."

I'm watching this season now, & find myself loving some (The Vault, Safecracker, Symphony, the Merman eps) but watching only parts of some (the Military school one, the one where Mooney breaks his leg & is in the hospital). Some I skip entirely because I have a vague memory of not liking it the first time around (Cleopatra, the Golfing one -- yes because of Gary; I think he's a boring actor).

I thought Chris Goes Steady was a good episode but hated the casting of the boyfriend. Was he stoned, bored, self conscious or all three? He had the same cheesy look on his face the whole time & spent so much time hunched over & looking at the floor. Chris should have stayed with Alan Harper :-)

I'm watching this season now, & find myself loving some (The Vault, Safecracker, Symphony, the Merman eps) but watching only parts of some (the Military school one, the one where Mooney breaks his leg & is in the hospital). Some I skip entirely because I have a vague memory of not liking it the first time around (Cleopatra, the Golfing one -- yes because of Gary; I think he's a boring actor).

I thought Chris Goes Steady was a good episode but hated the casting of the boyfriend. Was he stoned, bored, self conscious or all three? He had the same cheesy look on his face the whole time & spent so much time hunched over & looking at the floor. Chris should have stayed with Alan Harper :-)

Was that the actor who had been in Bonnie and Clyde, he was born weird!  How could you slander my beloved gary like that?

Okay, but I much prefer to use this one:  :lucythrill:  or this: :lucywow:  as they convey so much with but a single 'spression! ;)

Ok, here's my post for you to use BOTH . . . . GOT MY ILL CHRISTMAS dvd, and the colors are gloriously real, her hair and face so perfect, just as they were back then, I feel like i'm in the audience at General Service aka Desilu back in '56.

Ok, here's my post for you to use BOTH . . . . GOT MY ILL CHRISTMAS dvd, and the colors are gloriously real, her hair and face so perfect, just as they were back then, I feel like i'm in the audience at General Service aka Desilu back in '56.

The Scotland episode is the best one colorized. They all looked the most natural. The lighting in the Christmas one messes with Lucy's face. Lol.

The Scotland episode is the best one colorized. They all looked the most natural. The lighting in the Christmas one messes with Lucy's face. Lol.

Yes, I noticed that it was the lighting that screwed it up a little, you can actually SEE the lighting coming over her face at one point.  DAMN YOU KARL!

Glad you like it.... I must be in an alternate universe, that's all I can think at this point!  :blink:

Glad you like it.... I must be in an alternate universe, that's all I can think at this point!  :blink:

Well, it's always anti climactic as we've seen those particular episodes so many times, some might say, too many times, but I cannot SPLAIN to you what a thrill it is to see these overplayed shows in a different light for a change, a welcome change, even the colorized pictures on here that have been posted by that new member, just seeing the one where she shops for furniture for the new house, that lamp, took my breath away.

Archived