Lucy's Song

Luvsbway

Lucy said that her and Gary’s song was Make Someone Happy.  This song comes from the following show:

Do Re Mi  by Jule Styne, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. 1960 Broadway. The plot centers on a minor-league con man who decides to go (somewhat) straight by going into the business of juke boxes and music promotion.

Lyrics

Make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy;
Make just one heart the heart you sing to.
One smile that cheers you,
One face that lights when it nears you,
One girl you're ev'rything to.

Fame if you win it,
Comes and goes in a minute.
Where's the real stuff in life to cling to?
Love is the answer,
Someone to love is the answer.
Once you've found her, build your world around her.

Make someone happy, 
Make just one someone happy,
And you will be happy, too.

The show ran from Dec 26, 1960 - Jan 13, 1962.  I wonder if on an off night from Wildcat they took in this show and this song struck a particular cord with Lucy.  It is also the most popular song from the show, so she may have heard it other places too.

In letters that I’ve found that Lucy wrote to Gary she mentions this song title and it sort of seemed like a mantra for their relationship.  In all three of the memorial services held in 89’ this song was played.  I believe it also made it on to a Lucy Show episode if I’m not mistaken.

The second verse is what is really interesting to me.  Of course her fame never did go, but at that point in her life she was at the pinnacle of it and probably took those words to heart.  That part of her might not last, so find someone who you love and can spend the rest of your life with.  She had many years to learn that fame did not bring happiness and I think that more than anything she wanted at that time in her life was to be happy.  

Archived