Here's Lucy -- The Complete Series (DVD -- March 25, 2014)

Brock

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

TVShowsOnDVD.com has updated the info on this Complete Series release but unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be getting anything "new" on this collection that wasn't already included on the single releases (but hopefully, I'm wrong! ;)). 

Lucy's back for more love & laughter in her top 10 comedy hit!

Here‘s Lucy:
The Complete Series

March 25, 2014

The legendary queen of television comedy, LUCILLE BALL, is joined by her real-life children, LUCIE ARNAZ AND DESI ARNAZ, JR., in her third long-running sitcom success.

Ball plays Lucille Carter, widowed mother of teenagers Kim and Craig. Lucy works for her brother-in-law Harry, played by GALE GORDON, who owns Carter's Unique Employment Agency, leading Lucy into endless predicaments and hilarious hijinks.

The Complete Series of HERE'S LUCY (1968-74, CBS-TV) gathers all 144 uncut and digitally remastered episodes together for the first time and features a wealth of special features including vintage television appearances, interviews, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and much much more!

Keys:

• The long-awaited release of the hit comedy series that followedI Love Lucy
  • Lucy is the top selling classic TV franchise
  • Top rated TV series for 6 seasons
  • Extensive bonus features to appeal to fans:
    • Episode Introductions
    • Featurettes
    • Let's Talk to Lucy: Lost Interviews
    • Special Television Appearances and Interviews
    • Treasures from Lucy's Vault
    • Special Here's Lucy U.S. Savings Bond Episode & Public Service Film
    • Slide Shows
    • Series Production Files
    • Original CBS-TV Network & Syndication Promos
    • Original Sponsor Billboards
  • Stars Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) and co-stars Lucy's children, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Jr. Guest stars include favorites (Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Mike Connors, Don Knotts, Joan Bennett)
  • Nominated for 2 Golden Globes and an Emmy Award

Taken from:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Heres-Lucy-The-Complete-Series/19341#ixzz2q7FqtYhl

Do we know if these Let's Talk to Lucys are the same ones included in the individual seasons or different ones?

And the series garnered two Emmy nominations, not one: one for Gale and one for Bob and Madelyn during the 70-71 season.  Had these nominations been the season before and not up against the 1st seasons of All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore, they might have had a chance.

Do we know if these Let's Talk to Lucys are the same ones included in the individual seasons or different ones?

And the series garnered two Emmy nominations, not one: one for Gale and one for Bob and Madelyn during the 70-71 season.  Had these nominations been the season before and not up against the 1st seasons of All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore, they might have had a chance.

I wonder why Lucy never shifted with the times and went with comedy that resembled those shows. To think that those actors and their characters were up against Gale, Bob and Madelyn...makes me think they are given out of honor-seeing that a new kind of comedy was on the horizon. Some shows I noticed, were kind of 

She could have stayed the same, with the same kind of writing, but the delivery and the way it was done was old fashioned- and that makes the writing look worse. Look at the relaxed and comfortable way the Mary Tyler Moore cast interacts with each other. As appose to the "stop.listen. react. pause for the camera. shout out the line." way Lucy was so used to.

Lou Grant screamed and was grouchy, but it was the way it was done. I wonder why she didn't get some writers who could suggest something a little more current. She had so much appeal in the last seasons of HL its kind of a shame to see her go from the weekly series. 

I find the best scenes in the later shows, are when she and Gale are kind  and getting along.  

• 2 months later...

She could have stayed the same, with the same kind of writing, but the delivery and the way it was done was old fashioned- and that makes the writing look worse. Look at the relaxed and comfortable way the Mary Tyler Moore cast interacts with each other. As appose to the "stop.listen. react. pause for the camera. shout out the line." way Lucy was so used to.

Lou Grant screamed and was grouchy, but it was the way it was done. I wonder why she didn't get some writers who could suggest something a little more current. She had so much appeal in the last seasons of HL its kind of a shame to see her go from the weekly series. 

I find the best scenes in the later shows, are when she and Gale are kind  and getting along.  

The delivery on I Love Lucy was much more casual.  When you've been doing shows as long as she had, you're in a catch-22.  If you change, it's a different type of comedy than people expect.  If you don't, you end up imitating yourself.  There haven't been any comedies that have run 20 years (other than "Simpsons") but few could have escaped that trap.

Many people have said Lucy should have returned in the 80s with something along the lines of "Golden Girls", and that "Lucy" comedy was old-hat and out of date.  I disagree for a number of reasons.  Mainly, there is room on TV for many different types of comedies.  Though I never saw "Perfect Strangers", it seemed like more of a physical comedy; and did well for awhile anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The delivery on I Love Lucy was much more casual.  When you've been doing shows as long as she had, you're in a catch-22.  If you change, it's a different type of comedy than people expect.  If you don't, you end up imitating yourself.  There haven't been any comedies that have run 20 years (other than "Simpsons") but few could have escaped that trap.

Many people have said Lucy should have returned in the 80s with something along the lines of "Golden Girls", and that "Lucy" comedy was old-hat and out of date.  I disagree for a number of reasons.  Mainly, there is room on TV for many different types of comedies.  Though I never saw "Perfect Strangers", it seemed like more of a physical comedy; and did well for awhile anyway.

I think she was great in LWL but also agree that she would be best at the Golden Girl type comedy with a little slapstick added in there every now and again-  

I think at this age, she needs something slower paced- something that didn't have her performing over the top- her timing with split takes, and reactions were still there, and the way she delivered a punch line was still good, but her speech seemed slow and awkward- over pronouncing every syllable- as appose to Golden Girls, who really took their time to deliver their lines casually, and intimately- which is another factor- the shouting. 

Some of the most touching moments on GG is when those boom mics are turned all the way up, and you hear EVERY SMALL THING, and they deliver their lines naturally-Had LWL incorporated that technique, it'd come off a little more realistic, and not like an attempt to do the old shows, the old way and miss- simply because age and time has played its part in it.   

I liked the slapstick, and I think there was a lot of room for that, but every chance was a failed one. I think they do win, with the gigantagrow, and the floor going down in "Two By Fours"-but then, there are misses. For instance, rather than put her in a funny costume as a goose, like GG had done for Blanch, she buys a guard goose and waddles like a penguin/chicken in her pajamas ????? AFTER ITS BEAT UP PEOPLE IN THE KITCHEN!?!?...

lololol 

I also find her doing what they told William Frawley not to do, which is play to an audience- whether she knew it or not, her timing and her delivery suffered a little because she was overcompensating the audience. 

Archived