The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

• 2 months later...

By the way, it's not like TV on Blu-ray is dead, not by a long shot: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19345

Maybe CBS needs to outsource the work to another company, but keeping the same restoration and research team.

I doubt CBS would license a property like Lucy to another company. They may not be willing to invest the money at this stage but I doubt they'd want anyone else profiting off of it. As Tom said, it's just on hold, it hasn't been cancelled outright. The winds could change at a moment's notice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If they decide to begin Season 3 anytime in the near future, I think they should just release the episodes as the uncut syndicated versions with restored scenes. Maybe just keep a couple of episodes with its original opening. Honestly, with seasons 1 and 2, it was nice seeing the episodes as they were 65 years ago. But those Phillip Morris promos and hearing "Call for...." really got annoying after a while. Keep the extras that are related to I Love Lucy only. It may keep costs down by not adding Unrelated materials. I think. I'm just interested in the episodes themselves.

If they decide to begin Season 3 anytime in the near future, I think they should just release the episodes as the uncut syndicated versions with restored scenes. Maybe just keep a couple of episodes with its original opening. Honestly, with seasons 1 and 2, it was nice seeing the episodes as they were 65 years ago. But those Phillip Morris promos and hearing "Call for...." really got annoying after a while. Keep the extras that are related to I Love Lucy only. It may keep costs down by not adding Unrelated materials. I think. I'm just interested in the episodes themselves.

That seems contrary to the whole purpose of the Blu-Ray project. Also, isn't there an option to view the episodes without the vintage elements restored?

• Like 1

I love watching them in the original broadcast. I also love e being able to choose to watch them with the heart opening too. The blu rays releases rock, fingers crossed for season 3. It will be awesome if we get to season 6 and can see the lucy in Connecticut openings too :)

• Like 2

I think the appeal of the Blu-Rays is being able to see the episodes as they were originally broadcast. 

I actually don't care about the elevated picture quality or any additional special features (delightful though they may be), for I would buy these episodes on any format -- Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS -- if it meant the chance to have them all as initially presented. 

• Like 1

That seems contrary to the whole purpose of the Blu-Ray project. Also, isn't there an option to view the episodes without the vintage elements restored?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVEEEEEE all the extra options. I'm for that all the way. I'm not an expert on this but what exactly makes the blu rays expensive? Teach me. :fabrary: 

Believe me, if it was worth $200 I'd still get it. Lucy's worth it. I was wondering if maybe adding less would make it less expensive and would sell more.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVEEEEEE all the extra options. I'm for that all the way. I'm not an expert on this but what exactly makes the blu rays expensive? Teach me. :fabrary: 

Believe me, if it was worth $200 I'd still get it. Lucy's worth it. I was wondering if maybe adding less would make it less expensive and would sell more.

Understood :)

I'd have to look into it, but even blank Blu-Rays are much more expensive than writeable DVDs. I think they're more expensive to manufacture and must take longer to encode and press. Also, I think the price tag on these CBS sets was reflective of the labor involved. Season 1 was on sale for $20 not long ago, so they do become cheaper over time at least. Maybe they'd look into some other area for cost cutting measures should they proceed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, Peggy (god bless her!) kept jigglin' and I keep shillin' and no, nobody's prompting me (nor paying me, for that matter!) to do this; I just happen to think They're That Good and worth the investment, which at this moment is perhaps the cheapest (at least on my first, go to source, Amazon.com) for these AMAZING Blu-rays of our favorite sitcom (and I'll also be totally transparent and say I'm also doing this because I'm selfish and would LOVE to see these releases continue, so anything I can to promote them, I shall!):

At this moment, Season One of the Ultimate ILL Blu-ray is a mere $16.50 which is what, about 90% off the original retail price!!

AmazING, Amazon!!! :D

In addition, Season Two is currently going for a pretty reasonable $35 (approximately 70+/-% of the original retail price) and in related items, the originally simultaneously released Blu-rays of Season One of The Andy Griffith Show is listed at $16.50 and the Honeymooners at $27, bargains all!! :lucythrill:

Let's get shopping, holdouts....you know who you are!! :HALKING:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I hardly think they hate Lucy considering this is a company that has had numerous DVD releases of I Love Lucy, gone to the expense of colorizing episodes and then airing these programs twice a year in network primetime. In addition to releasing The Lucy Show complete on DVD. I just think they overpriced the original retail price of the bluray sets. Same thing with Andy Griffith.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pablo said:

Why does CBS hate Lucy?

That's an odd accusation. Okay, the Blu-Ray project may have stalled, but they were highly expensive sets to produce and purchase, and not something that more budget conscious or casual consumers would go for. At the end of the day, CBS has to look at where the money's at, like any business - but to say they hate Lucy when she's done so well for them elsewhere? Clearly the DVD sales have been pretty good, or else they wouldn't have reissued complete series sets for both I Love Lucy or The Lucy Show.  And look at the colossal efforts that went into those two sets in terms of supplements - efforts CBS Paramount has never given any other TV releases of theirs.

I know you, like all of us, longs for the day that every single Lucille Ball project is available in the best possible quality, but we have to be realistic. There are monetary and legal matters that hold these things up, and it's never as simple as just waltzing into the vault and transferring everything to consumer formats. Clearances must be obtained, rights holders compensated, restoration and archival work undertaken - it's far more complex than most would realize.

Let's all be grateful that so much HAS been made available to date, and been available for some time now. We've really been spoiled by the efforts of those involved and I think we've all got more than enough to tide us over until things resume. 

• Like 1