The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

I might buy it around the 3rd season, but I LOVE that cover art though. I wish they would add more to it, maybe making it a collage of the best moments of Season 1. Im still rooting for a sophisticated illustrated Lucy for the covers of these. How many times do we need to see a picture of Lucy holding the Vitameatavegamin bottle. We get it. I like that its vibrant and beautiful though.

• Like 1

Hi Brian... It's a bit confusing, but the pilot was filmed via the kinescope process (essentially photographing the images from a TV screen, instead of filming the actors themselves on the stage)... For years, all we had was a 16mm film copy of that kinney... While working on this new Blu-ray set, CBS found the original 35mm kinescope negative, wrapped up in a dusty old brown-paper packaging in a seldom used vault... We've had the film cleaned and remastered for inclusion on the new blu-rays... I think/hope everyone will be pleased!

Tjw

• Like 2

Hi Brian... It's a bit confusing, but the pilot was filmed via the kinescope process (essentially photographing the images from a TV screen, instead of filming the actors themselves on the stage)... For years, all we had was a 16mm film copy of that kinney... While working on this new Blu-ray set, CBS found the original 35mm kinescope negative, wrapped up in a dusty old brown-paper packaging in a seldom used vault... We've had the film cleaned and remastered for inclusion on the new blu-rays... I think/hope everyone will be pleased!

Tjw

Thanks for letting us know, so cool! Any word on whether or not the price being displayed is correct or not?  

The fact that they're still advertising this as six discs indicates that they must be encoded at a very high bitrate. Which means compression artifacts should be next to none. Very exciting news all around. If the Dick van Dyke show release proved anything its that there's tremendous value to be found with these properties in terms of HD transfers. Once again, Desi's pioneering efforts keep moving the show forward.

There are six discs, and they are fairly full... In fact, one is a lot fuller than we like... We have a few "new" extras, and almost all of the extras that were included on Gregg's DVDs are being repeated -- and whenever possible, we are using a new high-def transfer of the material... This was not possible in each and every situation, but for the most part, this is a high-def/Blu-ray set in every sense of the word...

Tjw

• Like 1

There are six discs, and they are fairly full... In fact, one is a lot fuller than we like... We have a few "new" extras, and almost all of the extras that were included on Gregg's DVDs are being repeated -- and whenever possible, we are using a new high-def transfer of the material... This was not possible in each and every situation, but for the most part, this is a high-def/Blu-ray set in every sense of the word...

Tjw

Can you tell us at this stage whether or not this set will include the movie? It would make sense, considering it's made up of three first season episodes. But if you can't disclose such info at this time that's understandable.

The current plan is for the movie is going to be included on Season 2, which would be chronologically correct as far as when the movie finished editing and was previewed (spring, 1953)...

So, for now, Season 2 will have 31 new episodes, plus this 90-minute movie...

Tjw

• Like 1

Tjw

So how clear is this episode going to be compared to the one we've been seeing for years?

The new Season One Blu-rays will not feature any episodes in color. The only three that currently exist were just released on the Christmas DVD -- the Christmas show, "Lucy Goes to Scotland" and "Lucy's Italian Movie."  So if you have those, you are as up-to-date as you can get!

Yes, the 35mm version of the pilot included the original opening title sequence that was missing from the 16mm version... but, as you say, it is only 30 seconds (or less)...

• Like 1