The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

Not just the opening... all of the original broadcast elements...

Maybe a person "cannot go home again," but Jonathan and I wanted to present these shows exactly the way the world first experienced them back in the 1950s.  And for the most part, we have been fairly successful.  On the other hand, many people have told us, "I grew up watching these shows with the heart-on-satin openings and closings, and those make the show special for me."  So for those people, THAT format is available also... 

Sorry about the price tag. But I can attest to the fact that we/CBS spent a lot of money producing this set... I hope that everyone that does buy the set enjoys it!

tjw

Even if it's $150.00 I'd still buy it. Lucy's worth every penny! 

Let's see: original broadcast versions, syndicated versions, repeat versions with different scenes and bonus materials.  I'm now convinced the set is worth every penny.  I can't wait to get mine, which I have just ordered.

Yup, that calculates to 83 different episodes/versions for season 1 alone.  85 episodes, if you count the two different versions of the Pilot/"Very First Show" Special.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/product-news/cbs-blu-ray-restoration-efforts-labor-love-33080

There was an article written about the upcoming blu ray releases. According to the folks at CBS, they're also bringing a lot more classic shows to blu ray including two of my personal favorites, Beverly Hillbillies and Twin Peaks!

:HALKING:  :lucywow:  ^_^

• Like 1

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/product-news/cbs-blu-ray-restoration-efforts-labor-love-33080

There was an article written about the upcoming blu ray releases. According to the folks at CBS, they're also bringing a lot more classic shows to blu ray including two of my personal favorites, Beverly Hillbillies and Twin Peaks!

:HALKING:  :lucywow:  ^_^

This is not only wildly encouraging but with every positive review/article, making me increasingly excited for this imminent release!! 

Some of the most interesting to me -- not to mention heartening -- "factoids" in this article include:

"...with every frame of every episode transferred in high-def from the original camera negative."

"Full color correction, updated audio, dot-by-dot cleanup of every frame. There are three to six reels per episode of these older shows, and transferring just one takes about six hours each. One 25- to 30-episode season takes about four months to get ready for Blu-ray."

“In high-def you can start to see the intricacy of their performances,” Adams said. “The lines on a face tell a story. After so many years of these standard-definition tapes in circulation, you forget how good these shows actually looked.”

These first three high-def versions of older shows are just the beginning. The CBS team is currently working on Blu-ray-ready versions of “Gunsmoke,” Rawhide,” “Bonanza,” “The Wild Wild West,” “Petticoat Junction,” “Dynasty,” “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “Taxi” and “Twin Peaks” (with creator David Lynch helping with the restoration). The group is also more than halfway through a three-year spruce-up of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

“The more these shows are well-received on Blu-ray, the more shows we can come through and work on."

And so and so and so and so and so and so. (Thanks, Tallulah! ;) )

BRING 'EM ON!!! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

Another nice review:

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/love-lucy-ultimate-season-1-blu-ray-review.html

It's mainly a laundry list of what's included, but also has some nice screen-grab photos and review comments.

The reason reviews are so important -- now more than ever -- is the fact that Home Video stores have all but disappeared.  Okay, most of the fans know what sets are being released when, but the general public does not... And with the death of brick-and-mortar stores that carry videos, impulse buying is all but gone... So hopefully some of these reviews will help "get the word out" to the general public who would be interested, but do not sit and troll the internet to see "what's new"...

I love that certain quality- revising the Live-TV feel. I sometimes turn on ILL at 9:00 just to capture that same nostalgic feeling lol kind of make believing Im in the time in which it first aired in its hey day.

When I got home from work last night, I was thrilled to find an advance review copy of I Love Lucy: The Ultimate Season 1 in my mailbox. So, the second thing on my list was to run out to get a BluRay player to watch the things. And… I don’t have enough superlatives to say about the set. The sheer wealth of what they have been able to cram into this set is incredible – and I haven’t get gone beyond the first disc!

The first thing I checked out was the new – and newly restored – original 35mm print of the Pilot. It is so crisp and clear from what we are used to it is like watching something else entirely. Priority #2 were Lucy and Desi’s costume tests which was wonderful. (I really wanted to say “incredible” again, but I know that word is going to be used too much here… but justifiably!) The great thing about this is they have been incorporated, as the reviews have noted, into a special featurette hosted by Robert Osborne incorporating history and anecdotes from the era – but there is also an option to watch them on their own in all their silent glory. This is truly a window into seeing the evolution of the Lucy Ricardo look, but there is something slightly unsettling about watching it. In a good way. These two have absolutely no idea the phenomenon that is to come and it is fascinating to watch them interact and make out what they are saying.

I haven’t been able to feature the audio commentaries yet, but what I’ve heard so far is great and it is so nice to have the chance to hear them after becoming semi-obsolete on Laserdisc.

What I wasn’t expecting to be my favourite feature is the option to watch each episode in up to three different formats, whether watching it complete with commercials and other broadcast elements from the very first time they aired, to the original reruns with the new introductory scenes and commercials, to the pristine uncut and commercial free versions we have come to so enjoy on DVD.

I was sceptical on the retail price of this set, but after taking in the first disc alone, I think we’re getting a real bargain here.

Well done to Tom, Gregg, Jonathan and everyone else who contributed to this set.

Can’t wait to watch the rest!

• Like 2

What I wasn’t expecting to be my favourite feature is the option to watch each episode in up to three different formats, whether watching it complete with commercials and other broadcast elements from the very first time they aired, to the original reruns with the new introductory scenes and commercials, to the pristine uncut and commercial free versions we have come to so enjoy on DVD.

I was sceptical on the retail price of this set, but after taking in the first disc alone, I think we’re getting a real bargain here.

Well done to Tom, Gregg, Jonathan and everyone else who contributed to this set.

Can’t wait to watch the rest!

YAY!  Thanks, Brock.  We're glad to hear you are enjoying!  ;-)   And if anyone has any of the 16mm original airings under their bed, please let us know!  We are searching everywhere for ones that we do not have.  

Cannot wait for this, come on Amazon!

Wonder how far apart we can expect the seasons to be out. And hopefully they'll all be this stacked.

We have started work on season 2... The earliest it can be out is Christmas of this year, and that would be pushing it... It will probably be out sometime early next spring... Will let you know as soon as we "get our heads around" all the elements, the amount of clean-up, etc. that will be required...

What are the menus like? One of the few things I disliked about the DVD sets was that the same old (very visually loud) menu was used for all but TLDCH? And the disc art? Maybe we could get some pics? *begs*

I can't take screen caps, but I'll try to take some old fashioned shots with the camera.

The menus, however, are the one thing I'm not entirely crazy about. They are a vast improvement over the ILL DVDs, but I find the moving backgrounds on the menus a bit busy and distracting (although the attention to detail within all the moving parts is top notch).