The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

It would be great to have more cast appearances on future seasons like the Berle special, Lucy's appearance with Ann Sothern, the Desi episodes of Our Miss Brooks and December Bride, the Shower of Stars with Viv and Bill, and Stars In The Eye in its entirety. :D

It would be great to have more cast appearances on future seasons like the Berle special, Lucy's appearance with Ann Sothern, the Desi episodes of Our Miss Brooks and December Bride, the Shower of Stars with Viv and Bill, and Stars In The Eye in its entirety. :D

Yes, that would be terrific! Does the Milton Berle show with Viv and Bill still exist? Has anyone seen it?

We are hoping, too... but all the things you mention are extremely expensive -- talent payments would need to be made to all the performers, the writers, directors, etc., not to mention the outside companies that may own those shows... But these are all on our "Wish List," too, and we are trying to clear them!

Yes, that would be terrific! Does the Milton Berle show with Viv and Bill still exist? Has anyone seen it?

The key words here are "still exist" -- and one might also add "Where the heck is it"? 

But we'll give it the "old college try" (whatever THAT was!)...

Wasn't the Milton Berle special just released by some no-name public-domain outfit? Surely that should be added to the "ultimate" final season, especially since they're apparently in character.

Yes, and it DOES appear to be a "bootleg" release, as opposed to having been properly cleared through the Berle Estate, again with payments going to the performers, writers, directors, etc. Certainly the Berle estate would/should have been mentioned on the packaging, and it is not...

Yes, and it DOES appear to be a "bootleg" release, as opposed to having been properly cleared through the Berle Estate, again with payments going to the performers, writers, directors, etc. Certainly the Berle estate would/should have been mentioned on the packaging, and it is not...

Yes, I'd like to think CBS has a bit more class than that, even if the program is in the public domain.

Jimmy - What was the supposed date of the Berle show with Viv and Bill?

Also, I have it in my notes that Viv and Bill were scheduled to go to New York the first week in June, 1953, just after production wrapped on Season Two, to make an appearance on the Gleason show.  Have you ever run across any information that this actually happened?

I will see what I can find out here...

Jimmy - What was the supposed date of the Berle show with Viv and Bill?

Also, I have it in my notes that Viv and Bill were scheduled to go to New York the first week in June, 1953, just after production wrapped on Season Two, to make an appearance on the Gleason show. Have you ever run across any information that this actually happened?

I will see what I can find out here...

Vivian and Bill supposedly guest starred on The Buick-Berle Show on May 4, 1954 and played the Mertzes in a sketch.

I do not know anything about the two appearing on the Gleason show. I will do some research. The Paley Center has several Gleason shows from this period, but nothing listed for the month of June.

Vivian and Bill supposedly guest starred on The Buick-Berle Show on May 4, 1954 and played the Mertzes in a sketch.

I do not know anything about the two appearing on the Gleason show. I will do some research. The Paley Center has several Gleason shows from this period, but nothing listed for the month of June.

Thanks, Jimmy... The date you gave me led me to an old note I had that said much the same thing. Desilu shut down production on LUCY for five weeks between April 23 and May 31 that year, then everyone came back and filmed five more episodes that were "saved" for fall... So VIv and Bill would have been free to go to NYC to do that show on May 4...

I love the idea of getting historians to do future commentaries. John Fricke did a spectacular job in his prepared commentary for The Wizard of Oz. I could see a similar technique being used for I Love Lucy. Perhaps Mr. Sheridan and Mr. Weir could participate? I think you certainly have the credentials to stand alongside Mr. Watson and other Lucy historians :D

I would love to see in future releases clips from the Dinah Shore show from 1960 where Richard Keith and Desi Jr. appeared together playing drums. The episode was video taped in color and I only got to see a portion of it around the time Lucy passed away. Was searching for it on youtube but nothing.

:lucymeh:  Drat the luck!

• Like 1

Am I correct in that those color home movies were on the bonus disk from the first full season DVD set? I think I read for this release the footage was cleaned up.

We used the footage on the Season 7-8-9 set, and then it was incorporated back into the Season One material when it was released on the full series set. I believe it was also used on the Season 1 reissue... but YES, the material is now in high-def on the Blu-rays...

Got the blu-ray's today at Target. FYI, the shelf said $80, but they were actually $60 like online. The picture quality is so much more of an upgrade than I had thought they would be, and as others have said the costume test footage is truly special to watch.

Congrats to all involved, and I highly recommend readers think about taking the $60 plunge if they haven't already!

• Like 1

Got the blu-ray's today at Target. FYI, the shelf said $80, but they were actually $60 like online. The picture quality is so much more of an upgrade than I had thought they would be, and as others have said the costume test footage is truly special to watch.

Congrats to all involved, and I highly recommend readers think about taking the $60 plunge if they haven't already!

Thanks, Logan ... and thanks for the news that it is in your local Target store.  I checked the one in my neighborhood yesterday, and it did not have it. This particular store never carries much in the way of "classic TV."  They carry some of the current TV titles... Right now they are having a big sale, so maybe the new LUCYs will appear next week, after the sale is over...

Thanks, Logan ... and thanks for the news that it is in your local Target store.  I checked the one in my neighborhood yesterday, and it did not have it. This particular store never carries much in the way of "classic TV."  They carry some of the current TV titles... Right now they are having a big sale, so maybe the new LUCYs will appear next week, after the sale is over...

Yes, thanks Logan for your info.  As I stated in an earlier post, I found that my local Target (Burbank CA) stocked several copies at the same price noted online of $79.99 so, it is heartening (see what I did there?? ;) ) to know that folks can find these in a "real" store as opposed to online only; I'm hoping that Walmart has them in stores as well!!! :D