The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

We should make a list of all the extras that should be added apart from what was included on official Lucy DVDs for the forthcoming ultimate seasons. The I Love Lucy Movie should be part of Season Three, right?

At the moment, we are discussing including the movie on Season Two. It was during that season that it was edited and previewed and ultimately "shelved."

At the moment, we are discussing including the movie on Season Two. It was during that season that it was edited and previewed and ultimately "shelved."

Makes sense to me!!

Tom I can hardly *wait* to see you & Jonathan's "handiwork"!! When I read that one review that is linked to an earlier post in this thread and it referenced what I assume was you folks ensconsed in a room somewhere over at CBS Television City I had a "flashback" to the old days and couldn't help wonder if you were back at your old stomping grounds??

How cool is that if that's the case and good for you!!  My commute to work includes driving down Fairfax every morning by the building and invariably when I do I hear in my head the announcer from back in the day intone, "From Television City in Hollywood......" and it puts a smile on my face every time.

:)

Makes sense to me!!

Tom I can hardly *wait* to see you & Jonathan's "handiwork"!! When I read that one review that is linked to an earlier post in this thread and it referenced what I assume was you folks ensconsed in a room somewhere over at CBS Television City I had a "flashback" to the old days and couldn't help wonder if you were back at your old stomping grounds??

How cool is that if that's the case and good for you!!  My commute to work includes driving down Fairfax every morning by the building and invariably when I do I hear in my head the announcer from back in the day intone, "From Television City in Hollywood......" and it puts a smile on my face every time.

:)

Thanks, Joe... We are not at TV City every day, but we are over there a lot. Yes, it feels "like home."  I call it my alma mater... But the place has changed a lot over the years. My old offices are long gone, remodeled into an entire new workspace for modern times...

I don't know why the networks stopped using things like those opening announcements.  I think one of the most majestic announcement was featured on the various Warner Brothers-produced shows on ABC. It opened with a grand flourish and the Warner shield, and the voice-over announcer proclaimed, "From the entertainment capital of the world, produced for television by Warner Brothers..."  It doesn't come more grand than that...

I miss those little touches that once defined TV... Am glad CBS is giving us the opportunity to restore that type of thing to the LUCY releases!

Thanks, Joe... We are not at TV City every day, but we are over there a lot. Yes, it feels "like home."  I call it my alma mater... But the place has changed a lot over the years. My old offices are long gone, remodeled into an entire new workspace for modern times...

I don't know why the networks stopped using things like those opening announcements.  I think one of the most majestic announcement was featured on the various Warner Brothers-produced shows on ABC. It opened with a grand flourish and the Warner shield, and the voice-over announcer proclaimed, "From the entertainment capital of the world, produced for television by Warner Brothers..."  It doesn't come more grand than that...

I miss those little touches that once defined TV... Am glad CBS is giving us the opportunity to restore that type of thing to the LUCY releases!

So true! I'd almost forgotten about the ABC announcements..... and if only the "rest of the world" knew the "entertainment capital of the world" is really a little "berg" called Burbank!! ;):peachonthebeach:

I am loving these maternity leave flashbacks shown on here! A new way to see the episode!

The one leading into "The Audition," with Ricky playing the little ukelele, is making it's home video debut on this set. It was not available to us when the DVDs were done... We were happy to have a full set of the pregnancy and baby-related flashbacks!

Also, this would've been an interesting addition, too: https://archive.org/details/ILoveLucy

According to Wikipedia:

There was some thought about creating an I Love Lucy radio show to run in conjunction with the television series as was being done at the time with the CBS hit show Our Miss Brooks. On February 27, 1952, a sample I Love Lucy radio show was produced, but it never aired. This was a pilot episode, created by editing the soundtrack of the television episode "Breaking the Lease", with added Arnaz narration. It included commercials for Philip Morris, which sponsored the television series. While it never aired on radio at the time in the 1950s (Philip Morris eventually sponsored a radio edition of My Little Margie instead), copies of this radio pilot episode have been circulating among "old time radio" collectors for years, and this radio pilot episode has aired in more recent decades on numerous local radio stations that air some "old time radio" programming.

Other than night of broadcast and syndicated versions, are there any other versions of episodes that could be included on future seasons? Other than colorized, I mean.

Yes and no... Yes, there are a few things, such as "The Sunday Lucy Show" broadcasts. We included a sample of the openings and closings that were done for that on Disc 2, as part of the Special Features. This particular one was from "The Quiz Show."  We will include this type of thing when we can -- but we do not have access to a great many of these...

Also, this would've been an interesting addition, too: https://archive.org/details/ILoveLucy

According to Wikipedia:

Yes, we tried to use the radio show on this set, but because of the rules governing the use of music, it would have been very expensive. We would have had to have licensed each of the songs all over again, even though the same show -- video version -- was already cleared for this set.  A radio show is technically something different that a TV show... Unfortunately, the episode that Desilu chose to turn into a radio pilot includes a whole raft of music... If it had been one of the shows that had no musical numbers, we could have used it!

It was interesting to see that the end of The Seance where Ricky explains about Tillie and Mrs. Merriwether was originally a tag scene and the first rerun version deleted the commercial and combined the continuous scenes.

It seemed to me there was more commercial content in general during the first season (and that the episodes themselves were slightly shorter that season than they would be in later seasons.)

Other than night of broadcast and syndicated versions, are there any other versions of episodes that could be included on future seasons? Other than colorized, I mean.

There should be a few more flashback repeat versions in future seasons should there not (aired during the Hollywood trip)? I remember Nick at Nite inexplicably had a few of the flashback versions in their rotation. I have an off-air copy of their airing of the flashback version of "The Camping Trip" somewhere I think.

Yes, we tried to use the radio show on this set, but because of the rules governing the use of music, it would have been very expensive. We would have had to have licensed each of the songs all over again, even though the same show -- video version -- was already cleared for this set.  A radio show is technically something different that a TV show... Unfortunately, the episode that Desilu chose to turn into a radio pilot includes a whole raft of music... If it had been one of the shows that had no musical numbers, we could have used it!

That's truly sad, as it's a pretty unique broadcast. Thankfully there's an online recording available, but still.

"Call for Phillip Morrrrisssss"

Considering that the original broadcast versions are derived from decades old 16mm films, they are outstanding.  I love having these versions in such quality!  I hope they continue to be released throughout the series run because I think the later commercials for other products are more fun.

Mr. TJW should be very proud of this release.

"Call for Phillip Morrrrisssss"

Considering that the original broadcast versions are derived from decades old 16mm films, they are outstanding.  I love having these versions in such quality!  I hope they continue to be released throughout the series run because I think the later commercials for other products are more fun.

Mr. TJW should be very proud of this release.

Thank you...  I was only one of a large number of people involved with this release. I think we are all very proud of it...

• Like 1

The "I Love Lucy Collection: Volume 6" VHS included the 4th season rebroadcast version of The Camping Trip. I remember being VERY confused when I first saw it, as all my episode guides placed that episode in season 2 and here they are discussing season 4 plotlines! This was, of course, before any of the DVDs and before I'd learned about the flashbacks being filmed to introduce re-aired episodes.

Also, I have it in my notes that Viv and Bill were scheduled to go to New York the first week in June, 1953, just after production wrapped on Season Two, to make an appearance on the Gleason show. Have you ever run across any information that this actually happened?

If they did appear on Gleason's show, it would've been the same night (June 6) that the Honeymooners sketch "The Prowler" aired. That sketch exists and has been released, so the Gleason estate should have the rest of the broadcast. Lucy & Desi appeared on the 1/12/57 Gleason show with guest host Eddie Cantor and I can confirm that exists. I compiled a list of ILL-related guest spots a while back that I just wanted to pass along since you're involved with the Blu-rays (some were mentioned earlier in this thread):

-"Dinner With the President" (November 23, 1953) (all 4 appear) (at Paley)

-The Buick-Berle Show - "Episode #6.23" (May 4, 1954) "Miltie rents a new rehearsal hall from landlords Fred and Ethel Mertz." -from IMDb

-Toast of the Town - "Tribute to 'I Love Lucy'" (October 3, 1954) (all 4) (at Paley)

-The Bob Hope Show (October 2, 1956), (October 8, 1956 - all 4)

-Make Room for Daddy - "Lucy Upsets the Williams Household" (January 5, 1959)

-The Ann Sothern Show - "The Lucy Story" (October 5, 1959)

-Sunday Showcase - "The Milton Berle Special" (November 1, 1959)

-Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse - "The Desilu Revue" (December 25, 1959) (at Paley)

I assume "The Long, Long Trailer" & "Forever, Darling" would probably be pretty costly additions. I've also seen a number of Westinghouse commercials on YouTube with all 4 cast members. Maybe one of the experts here can tell us how many of those were made.

• Like 1