The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

Were the commercials filmed by and at Desilu Studios or done by another production company?

Both.  The early ones, with John Stephenson standing on the set of the Ricardos' livingroom (and the one with the lady having breakfast and a morning cigarette in the Ricardos' kitchen) were clearly filmed there at Desilu...

I believe that many of the later ones were filmed at other facilities, including in New York...

The ones that Lucy and Desi themselves did were filmed at Desilu... Bill Asher directed many of those after he came on board for Season Two...

I hope everyone's sitting down. Wikipedia says Johnny "Call For Phillip Morris" Roventini prided himself on pitching his famous call precisely at Bb every time he uttered it, which numbered over a million by his estimation. Friends, the footage of him doing it on these I Love Lucy blu-rays is solidly an A natural. Requests for a comment from his estate were not immediately returned.

• Like 1

I hope everyone's sitting down. Wikipedia says Johnny "Call For Phillip Morris" Roventini prided himself on pitching his famous call precisely at Bb every time he uttered it, which numbered over a million by his estimation. Friends, the footage of him doing it on these I Love Lucy blu-rays is solidly an A natural. Requests for a comment from his estate were not immediately returned.

:gasp:  !! "My dream bubble has burst." LOL

You'll fit in well around here, Logan!

• Like 1

At least for today, Amazon seems to be selling I LOVE LUCY and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Blu-ray sets for $59.99... THE HONEYMOONERS, tho, is still $74.96...

Thx tjw for the "heads up" as I eventually would like to acquire all 3!!! (But they can't possibly be as ULTIMATE as the ILL one is!! ) :peachonthebeach:

Just got mine late Monday evening and am absolutely ENTHRALLED with the bonus material, the look & design of the menus, pop-ups etc. and how GREAT the episodes look, even the stuff remastered from 16mm elements!! The only fitting superlative I can think of right now for this exemplary set -- and I'm sure I'll come up with more!! -- is AMAZING!!! :HALKING:

I couldn't be more thrilled with the outcome of this stellar product, hope the entire series gets this "treatment" (going bald or not!! ;) ) and kudos to our own Tom Watson and Rick Carl and Jonathan Angus and Tony Maietta and everyone else "behind the scenes" who made this marvel possible!! :lucyhehe:

Given my curious nature I can't help wonder about a couple of thins like....1) What was Bill Asher's widow Meredith involvement, given she's mentioned in the credits and more importantly, 2) what has Lucie and/or Desi Jr.'s feedback if they've seen this (which I would imagine they have)??  (Hopefully they're as pleased as us dieHEARTS are!!!)  :lucyhmm:

I'll probably have more comments along the way as I'm trying to refrain from jumping ahead to just the bonus stuff and/or to select fave eps, but rather watch them both in broadcast order as presented on the discs -- but it twarn't easy! :lucyeww:

Bravo! :lucythrill:

Just thinking, I know Gregg hid an Easter egg or two in the original DVD sets and was wondering whether or not there are any known on this set? It seems like they included everything I could have wanted... but still curious!

Good question...but as long as I've been collecting blu-rays, I've never thought or heard of them doing that like they did with DVDs!!! (How much more coolness can we take??? Oh yeah.... 5 more seasons worth and then the hour-longs!!! :HALKING: )

• Like 1

Just thinking, I know Gregg hid an Easter egg or two in the original DVD sets and was wondering whether or not there are any known on this set? It seems like they included everything I could have wanted... but still curious!

There are no "Easter Eggs" hidden on Season One... All the material is clearly labeled... Do not know if the concept of Easter Eggs is still being done (particularly on Blu-rays) or not. I will ask. Personally, I have never been a big fan of them.  I guess I have always worried about the casual viewer who might like to see that material, but not be savvy enough to know he's supposed to click around on the icons to see what might be hidden there...

• Like 1

A few screens back... when we were discussing ideas for possible Season Two special features, I mentioned that Vivian Vance and William Frawley were rumored to have made a special appearance on THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW in June, 1953, after Desilu finished production on Season Two... It had been announced in the Hollywood trade press in May, 1953 -- either Variety or the Hollywood Reporter...

Sadly, I do not think this appearance ever materialized... I have checked with CBS in New York, and they can find absolutely no record of Viv and Bill making ANY appearances on the Gleason series throughout its initial run (1952-57)...

I'm disappointed, but not truly surprised -- both I LOVE LUCY and the Gleason series were extremely popular series. If there had been such an appearance, we all would have been hearing about it for years, and probably would have seen clips from the show on various retrospectives...

Oh, well... back to the drawing boards...

I've only watched one episode and I'm completely in love. The original broadcast option is a dream come true for me, I absolutely love seeing what was shown the very night these aired.

Jeez Louise, how can I resist buying this set now, after all the raves!  This option is the main thing I was looking for, and I sure hope all the missing elements from the Hollywood episodes in season four are put back in!

Just got mine late Monday evening and am absolutely ENTHRALLED with the bonus material, the look & design of the menus, pop-ups etc. and how GREAT the episodes look, even the stuff remastered from 16mm elements!! The only fitting superlative I can think of right now for this exemplary set -- and I'm sure I'll come up with more!! -- is AMAZING!!!

I couldn't be more thrilled with the outcome of this stellar product, hope the entire series gets this "treatment" (going bald or not!! ) and kudos to our own Tom Watson and Rick Carl and Jonathan Angus and Tony Maietta and everyone else "behind the scenes" who made this marvel possible!!

Given my curious nature I can't help wonder about a couple of thins like....1) What was Bill Asher's widow Meredith involvement, given she's mentioned in the credits and more importantly, 2) what has Lucie and/or Desi Jr.'s feedback if they've seen this (which I would imagine they have)??  (Hopefully they're as pleased as us dieHEARTS are!!!) 

Bravo!

Thanks, Joe... Yes, the Arnazes received copies of the discs as soon as the sets were available. Lucie sent me a note last week saying she was just getting home from the Kentucky Derby (and a series of appearances in New York) and that she looked forward to looking at the new discs...  Meredith Asher allowed us access to Bill's film and script collection. A very nice lady!

• Like 1

Thanks, Joe... Yes, the Arnazes received copies of the discs as soon as the sets were available. Lucie sent me a note last week saying she was just getting home from the Kentucky Derby (and a series of appearances in New York) and that she looked forward to looking at the new discs...  Meredith Asher allowed us access to Bill's film and script collection. A very nice lady!

You are certainly welcome, Tom!  Yes, have met her and/or seen her on various occassions (most recently she attended Kaye Ballard's farewell performance in Palm Springs) and is always lovely. 

There's a Bewitched convention coming up this September for its 50th (!) anniversary, and I imagine she'll be in attendance there, too. ;)

I always was under the impression that they never filmed a second take. 

They did a second take for this, because the Arnazes thought that their spontaneous crying had ruined the scene. Once the second version was done -- flawlessly -- everyone agreed that the first version was much more "human" and "honest," and they used it... The footage for the second version was never saved.  All such materials were destroyed in the late 1950s. No one knew these shows would never stop running or that there would be an outlet like home video for things like alternate takes...

Meredith Asher allowed us access to Bill's film and script collection. A very nice lady!

I always wondered whether or not it would be possible to sell copies of the scripts that Lucy, Desi, Viv, Bill, Bill Asher, etc. owned (like in books) on a large scale. I remember that they sold one or two at the exhibits at Universal (I believe "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" was one of them), but it would be very cool to see more. I always enjoy reading along with the scripts I own and noticing all the revisions and edits that were made. I know this would involve a lot, simply accessing the scripts I'm sure isn't easy, especially for public viewing (although it was so kind of Meredith Asher to do so), but it would certainly be a treat! Any thoughts as to whether or not this could be a possibility?

I always wondered whether or not it would be possible to sell copies of the scripts that Lucy, Desi, Viv, Bill, Bill Asher, etc. owned (like in books) on a large scale. I remember that they sold one or two at the exhibits at Universal (I believe "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" was one of them), but it would be very cool to see more. I always enjoy reading along with the scripts I own and noticing all the revisions and edits that were made. I know this would involve a lot, simply accessing the scripts I'm sure isn't easy, especially for public viewing (although it was so kind of Meredith Asher to do so), but it would certainly be a treat! Any thoughts as to whether or not this could be a possibility?

It's all copyrighted material, and CBS would have to want to market the scripts commercially... I do not know what the rules are regarding author royalties, etc. 

Good question...but as long as I've been collecting blu-rays, I've never thought or heard of them doing that like they did with DVDs!!! (How much more coolness can we take??? Oh yeah.... 5 more seasons worth and then the hour-longs!!! :HALKING: )

If season 1 looked great, can you imagine what season 5 and 6 will look like!!  I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about.

• Like 1