The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

At a Jamestown festival, several years ago, Gregg Oppenheimer played audio recorded at his father's farewell party. If I'm remembering correctly, it featured Lucy, Desi, and Vivian singing a tribute to Jess to the tune of Forever Darling. I'd love to hear that again!

I've always assumed that they were referring to The I Love Lucy Movie, which was still lost at the time of The Lucy Book's publishing, and some of the recollections were off 45+ years later.

Now that I think about it, you may be right. Cahn says it was directed by Sedgwick, who also directed the wraparound sequences for the film. 

It would be great for them to add Stars in the Eye and The Shower of Stars in their entirety -- and the animated versions of My Favorite Husband, if they can clear up the rights issue that stymied them on the first go-round.

I did not know CBS/Paramount considered releasing animated My Favorite Husband episodes. Were there ever more episodes produced other than the few Toyuki created and posted on YouTube?

I did not know CBS/Paramount considered releasing animated My Favorite Husband episodes. Were there ever more episodes produced other than the few Toyuki created and posted on YouTube?

Not to my knowledge. Gregg Oppenheimer mentioned in Jamestown over the summer that they had been working on securing the rights to the animated episodes, the artist was on board, but they hit a snag with one of the other actors depicted in the series. He didn't specify whose estate was being difficult.

It would be great for them to add Stars in the Eye and The Shower of Stars in their entirety -- and the animated versions of My Favorite Husband, if they can clear up the rights issue that stymied them on the first go-round.

Wait, what? Back up here a second. Were those animated MFH's done around the time of the original DVD release? I thought they were newer than that. And there are legal issues regarding an actor's estate?

It'd be great if some of the lost MFH episodes have turned up and those will be among the extras!!!

Wait, what? Back up here a second. Were those animated MFH's done around the time of the original DVD release? I thought they were newer than that. And there are legal issues regarding an actor's estate?

I don't think the animated MFH episodes were done until after the original DVDs came out, but Gregg mentioned CBS was interested in doing "something" with them for an unspecified project, but there was an issue with one of the likenesses.

As much as I want the show on Blu-Ray, $90.99, reduced from a MSRP of $129.99 seems a bit rich for my blood.

EDIT: Looks like The Andy Griffith Show is coming to Blu-Ray on the same date for the same price.

It looks like we are officially entering the period where the older vintage classics are (finally!) heading to Blu-Ray. First, it was The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek: Original Series and The Twilight Zone, next The Honeymooners, Looney Tunes, and Tom and Jerry, and now I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show. Could The Brady Bunch, Get Smart, The Three Stooges, The Flintstones, The Jetsons possibly be next?

How about The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy on Blu-ray. I know that the current dvds of the two shows are amazing, but they would be even more amazing on Blu-ray.

If TLS & HL ever get put on blu-ray I assume that it most likely will be in the distant future. After all, both series were just completed on DVD not too long ago and I Love Lucy now is just starting to get the blu-ray treatment. The industry will probably follow the established-pattern on getting the earlier series done first and then working on the follow-ups. It will be like starting all over again only this time it's blu-ray. VHS, DVD, and now blu-ray. The process could also start all over once again in 10-15 years from now depending on what comes out/next after blu-ray.

What do you think the "extras that will blow fans' minds " are?  I wonder if there could be more colorized episodes

Just have to wait and see. I doubt they'd include just a few "colorized" episodes. If and when that happens it'll probably be its own set down the line. I'll be grateful for whatever they've uncovered (or just produced).

• Like 1

Those animated My Favorite Husband episodes are fantastic...so well done. Watching the few that were made makes me wish the entire series could be done to enjoy.