The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

I understand but if I want history, i'll go to the library.  The heart on satin was all I knew for decades, that's MY history, LOL!

I like the heart opening, but I must say, I don't know if it's pop cultures fault or what- but...sometimes I can not STAND the intro and ending theme of Lucy-dont get me wrong- it's nice but.. Maybe if I put it on mute-and just watch it-i it may be okay but the music is so- exotic? over time? lol lol its like, the more you play it, the more instruments you hear? lol I dunno-and over time when I watch it back to back, it can be a little annoying. 

Id take the Phillip Morris Johnny guy over the satin opening any day. I also like how the music plays low, secondary to the animated stick figures. 

I really want to do research on those ILL stick figures. I've noticed that they have had so many reincarnations and so many different versions over time- as the show progressed, so did the stick figures. All of these years- I thought the ILL stick figures, used in some of the Phillip Morris cig. ad's were off, but they were actually based off of the original versions of the season 1 opener- but later, in season 2? I believe they change, to the more noticeable versions, that Lucie Arnaz used for her CDRom- the version that we normally see recreated on items today- BUT- then move later on into the series, and you'll see that they change AGAIN,  and then ONCE MORE for the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, where they incorporate Lucy's new hair style some way-  Its all pretty fun to explore!! 

Having grown up with the original stick figures, I always felt "something was missing" when the heart-on-satin became "standard."

Also, throughout the 1950s, whenever these shows were aired, they had slightly different openings. That is, the Monday night I LOVE LUCYs had the original stick figures, but the repeats that aired as THE SUNDAY LUCY SHOW and later just THE LUCY SHOW had unique openings.  Same thing happened when the shows were aired on Thursday and Wednesday evenings in prime time during the 1957-58 and 1958-59 seasons.  The summer series -- THE TOP TEN LUCY SHOWS and LUCY IN CONNECTICUT -- each had their own special opening... Which is what I had grown accustomed to... So when it all "stopped" in 1960, and everything was the "heart on satin" openings, it all became rather uncreative/dull for me...

Lastly -- you are correct about the stick figures themselves changing over time.  I am trying to write a few words about that for inclusion on the Season Two discs... I think the Season Two versions were the most creative -- there are four or five different openings/closings, all carefully prepared...

As I said before, these were so much a part of the LUCY series and the Lucy-heritage that when Lucy and Viv came back in THE LUCY SHOW in 1962, it was only natural that 1962 incarnations of the Lucy/Viv stick figures should open the show... I was a little disappointed when they were replaced in 1963 with other things, but Desilu was just trying to stay current, and this kind of animated openings now seemed a little dated...

• Like 1

Having grown up with the original stick figures, I always felt "something was missing" when the heart-on-satin became "standard."

Also, throughout the 1950s, whenever these shows were aired, they had slightly different openings. That is, the Monday night I LOVE LUCYs had the original stick figures, but the repeats that aired as THE SUNDAY LUCY SHOW and later just THE LUCY SHOW had unique openings.  Same thing happened when the shows were aired on Thursday and Wednesday evenings in prime time during the 1957-58 and 1958-59 seasons.  The summer series -- THE TOP TEN LUCY SHOWS and LUCY IN CONNECTICUT -- each had their own special opening... Which is what I had grown accustomed to... So when it all "stopped" in 1960, and everything was the "heart on satin" openings, it all became rather uncreative/dull for me...

Lastly -- you are correct about the stick figures themselves changing over time.  I am trying to write a few words about that for inclusion on the Season Two discs... I think the Season Two versions were the most creative -- there are four or five different openings/closings, all carefully prepared...

As I said before, these were so much a part of the LUCY series and the Lucy-heritage that when Lucy and Viv came back in THE LUCY SHOW in 1962, it was only natural that 1962 incarnations of the Lucy/Viv stick figures should open the show... I was a little disappointed when they were replaced in 1963 with other things, but Desilu was just trying to stay current, and this kind of animated openings now seemed a little dated...

The fun thing is since we haven't seen the stick figures in their entirety in so long, now they seem positively fresh compared to the Heart on Satin.

• Like 2

Your reply is so rich! lol because its gives so much insight on the viewing experience way back then!! (if you'll excuse the words, way,back, and then) lol - but I love learning how people viewed the show at it's height, how it was shown and presented to the world, with all the commercials, ads and all, its so fascinating to me.

I LOVE the initial idea behind the stick figures though-little cute spokespersons lol  They were specifically tailored to look like Lucy and Desi, and were these "mini me's"  that got these tough jobs done lol

Long before Carol Burnett had her animated cleaning lady to do all of the door opening, and cleaning around the TV set, the little Lucy and Ricky stick figures were doing it..Im not too sure of the other shows that were doing it. But when I think about it, Maybe those stick figures were more than an opening- and played a big part in establishing the image of the show.

The entire show, ESPECIALLY the first season- has this very youthful feel- like the cartoons themselves. 

For instance, the Phillip Morris ads that Lucy and Desi shot that were installed at the end of the shows- 

The exchange between Lucy and Ricky are almost like teenagers- and the Ricky character is A LOT like the cartoon- not as, dominant or presiding over Lucy as he is in later seasons, but is more innocent, and almost helpless over Lucy, just like the Ricky stick figure-(Lucy catches Ricky from jumping from a carton of cigs, or she pulls him down to safety after flying to high- later she becomes domesticated) 

It has a cute "adolescent charm" to it...almost like, the marketing and publicity dept thought- "Whenever you see these two- think of the animated lives of the Ricardos- not Lucille Ball, the actress, and Desi Arnaz the night club singer and actor-- but rather these playful-childlike, cartoon-like, -slapstick Lucy and Ricky. 

I have always been a big fan of the stick figures ever since I first found out about them. I loved the restoration jobs done for tv land and the dvds but the heart on satin was also what I grew up. I guess therefore when watching regularly I would go for the heat on satin option but love being able to mix it up when I choose.

I also have a dodgy copy of lucy in Connecticut and can't wait to see pristine copies of these

• Like 2

THE TOP TEN LUCY SHOWS and LUCY IN CONNECTICUT -- each had their own special opening... 

I just can't get these two out of my head! sketching ideas I get in my head

10499427_513640782069726_699568943324981

But there's nothing really funny about it at all, said the man who bought everything in Beta, VHS, DVD and now Blu Ray.  And then there's the one about finding dvds you know you paid like thirty bucks each and they're on sale now for five bucks a pop.  And some Blu Rays also at five bucks I got this weekend, but that I already have in dvd, the studios are just so greedy.