The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

I don't know if the HD episodes are being used for syndication, but they're all available on Hulu!

Now that this set has settled into the $40 price range I may make the leap and buy it....only begrudgingly because I know I'll just have to have the complete series set when it's all said and done.

Yeah, that's the thing, but it'll be a while before THAT happens though.

• 2 weeks later...

The conversation between you two is more entertaining than the "SH(censored)T" I see on tv these days.  :lucythrill:

Really?? I didn't realize what we were doing was "conversation"! :blink:

Well, sometimes we get carried away and sometimes even go too far, but we mean no harm and just want to laugh or at least smile, it's what Lucy would have wanted, LOL!

Whaddya mean WE??! :P

• Like 1

I don't know if the HD episodes are being used for syndication, but they're all available on Hulu!

Now that this set has settled into the $40 price range I may make the leap and buy it....only begrudgingly because I know I'll just have to have the complete series set when it's all said and done.

Aww go ahead! You won't be sorry, theyve never looked bettah and the bonuses are like buttah!! :peachonthebeach:

• 2 weeks later...

There's good news and there's bad news...

The good news is that CBS is diligently working on I LOVE LUCY: ULTIMATE SEASON TWO, which will be released on Blu-ray in mid-summer... They are shooting for mid-July, but they have not made a formal announcement as yet because they do not want to announce a specific date, then have to change it if something goes wrong... But so far, things look very good!

The bad news is that Season One Blu-rays did not do nearly as well as we had hoped.  Part of this -- as has been discussed here previously -- had to do with the higher price point. (The price for Season Two has not been announced as yet.)  But a lot of it also had to do with the fact that tastes are changing and home media in general seems to be on the decline.  Younger people especially do not seem to want to OWN copies of TV shows, movies -- even CDs or books... They want to download / stream everything electronically.  I can understand the convenience of having electronic downloads available, but I love having my own personal copy of things!

Anyway, sales of DVDs and Blu-rays in general are off from what they once were.  Just yesterday, FOX Home Video announced it would not be releasing any future full-season sets of "The SImpsons" -- a title that was always Gold for them.... From now on the show will be available on the Simpsons web site...

So, please, if you want Lucy discs to continue, be sure to get Seasons One and Two... Otherwise, I cannot guarantee we will ever see a Season Three...

Many thanks!

• Like 2

There's good news and there's bad news...

The good news is that CBS is diligently working on I LOVE LUCY: ULTIMATE SEASON TWO, which will be released on Blu-ray in mid-summer... They are shooting for mid-July, but they have not made a formal announcement as yet because they do not want to announce a specific date, then have to change it if something goes wrong... But so far, things look very good!

The bad news is that Season One Blu-rays did not do nearly as well as we had hoped.  Part of this -- as has been discussed here previously -- had to do with the higher price point. (The price for Season Two has not been announced as yet.)  But a lot of it also had to do with the fact that tastes are changing and home media in general seems to be on the decline.  Younger people especially do not seem to want to OWN copies of TV shows, movies -- even CDs or books... They want to download / stream everything electronically.  I can understand the convenience of having electronic downloads available, but I love having my own personal copy of things!

Anyway, sales of DVDs and Blu-rays in general are off from what they once were.  Just yesterday, FOX Home Video announced it would not be releasing any future full-season sets of "The SImpsons" -- a title that was always Gold for them.... From now on the show will be available on the Simpsons web site...

So, please, if you want Lucy discs to continue, be sure to get Seasons One and Two... Otherwise, I cannot guarantee we will ever see a Season Three...

Many thanks!

Yeah, the malaise in home video just seems to be getting worse all the time, i picked up Crash and No country for old men for five bucks a piece this morning at Wal Mart and on Blu Ray yet.  I was hoping the lack of sales for season one of the greatest tv show ever made was because it's a so so season where they were just getting their act together and yes, that awful price of 99.99 here at least.  I only purchased it when it went down to 60 something quite a while later and let's not forget that i got the original copy that came on sale much earlier, nobody had touched it at that price, AND the fact that everybody has the show now anyway, on dvd, so although they are shoving Blu Rays down our throat, many of us initially refused to spring for yet more money for another damn release of the same shows.  Once we get everything again, this time on Blu Ray, will we be subjected to another format that's even clearer and can get a whole season one one disc that's an inch by an inch so storage will be easier?   Yes, copies in Beta, originals in Beta, copies in VHS, originals in VHS, copies on dvd, originals on dvd and then much too pricey copies on Blu Ray.  Some of our wallets are weary at this point.  But i'll get it all right, because the job YOU have done on these is just amazing and although i balk at the price, CBS will forever be going to it's cash cow, Lucy and we fans will forever be buying whatever they give us, it's a happy fringe benefit that someone like YOU is at least making these worth every penny.

• Like 1

I know what Claude means about the changing technology. I think I mentioned this before, but my late father went through the same thing with audio. He had a nice size collection of 78rpm records in the 1940s... Suddenly in the 1950s, that technology was replaced by vastly improved 45 and 33 1/3 rpm discs, and they virtually stopped making the 78rpm players. So he dutifully repurchased many of this favorite records in the new formats, only to have those eventually be replaced by CDs...

There are some folks predicting that current 2K Hi-Definition will be replaced by 4-K.  But I do not see that happening with home video consumables. Most of the companies that are in the home video business have spent the past ten years up-converting all their program masters to 2-K.... It will be horribly expensive to suddenly ditch those and remaster everything in 4-K, especially at a time when home video in general seems to be on the decline.  Besides, I am not sure 4-K clarity will be that much better than 2-K for things like I Love Lucy -- which are basically black-and-white TV shows... It would only be beneficial for things like movies and a handful of sci-fi TV series that include a lot of special effects.

I know Gregg Oppenheimer would have loved to have included the original broadcasts on his original DVD releases.  But to do that he would have had to double the size of each set -- and probably double the price. DVD technology does not allow for the rather seamless branching that we use in the Blu-ray format, allowing us to use both versions of each episode. So from THAT standpoint, the new technology is great!

And so it goes...

I think the price is a major issue. If people can pick up the season for $25-30 it will sell so much better. It's not that people necessarily don't want to own movies and TV shows anymore, it's just that it's too expensive. Back in the heyday of DVDs, in the early to mid 2000s, I was buying tons of DVDs left and right. Now I just buy a blu-ray here and there, just the essentials, the must-owns. I Love Lucy absolutely must come out on blu-ray, as Season One did - and really all of Lucy's shows! It's all a matter of pricing it correctly. I can appreciate that a lot of work goes into these sets, but not a lot of people will be willing to pay $60-70 for these blu-rays. At around $30, they'll fly off the shelves. And such an important institution like I Love Lucy and Lucy's other shows cannot simply be written off due to perceived poor sales. These are national treasures that must be readily available in the best possible format with all the historical extras.

• Like 2

I personally have no idea how to use technology, so I always prefer hard copies. I've rented three movies from iTunes and I could only figure out how to make one of them work. Literally all my friends watch is Netflix and the occasional thing on TV (I was surprised by how many watched the color Christmas special out of their own will) I buy lots of specialty movies and shows like Criterion or stuff from Shout Factory. I think if ILL was ever put on Netflix, DVD and Blu Ray sales would be absolutely dead, as that is my main reason for not buying a lot of my favorite TV shows. On a side note, how did the Andy Griffith and Honeymooners sales go? 

I can stream Netflix 3 different ways to TVs in my house.  Tivo, bluray player and Chromecast via my phone or tablet.  Last week when I wanted to finish off House of Cards we spent at least 45 min trying to figure out why Netflix would not stream with any of these options and would only play on our tablet. Had I had a disk i could just pop it in and go.  

Streaming is nice but it takes Netflix longer to load then when I put a disk in.

Also I have had Amazon Prime for quite a while and not until last month did I finally get an option I did not have to pay extra for that would allow it to play on my TV.