The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

I have a general question about "LA at Last"

In 1991, there was a TV special called, "Funny Women of Television."  It aired in October of 1991.  

At one point in the show, Carol Burnett honored, and paid tribute to Lucy.  She said when, where and how they met, etc.  Then, they showed a rare public appearance of a class/seminar she did in the late 70's/early 80's.  

Lucille was taking questions from the class/audience. 

One question that was asked was something like, "In the episode, when your nose catches fire, was that planned or not?"  

She said that it wasn't planned.  She talked about her makeup man, the putty nose, and how under the hot studio lights, it got softer.  She said something like, "I stretched it too far, and when Holden goes to light my cigarette, and the nose goes up, I was surprised, and Mr. Holden almost fainted." 

Does anybody remember this, or did anybody actually attend that public speaking event, when she talked about it?  I'm not saying that she's not telling the truth, but first of all, can putty be set on fire?  If you look closely at the tip of her putty nose, you can see that there's something inside the center of her nose, and it's not smooth.  Secondly, had this not happened, or wasn't in the script, how would the rest of the episode been played out?  I think that's why she kept playing with her fake nose, as she was conversing with Bill Holden. Then, she turns away, and extends it, a little.  I think this was scripted that she extends her nose, just long enough for it to catch on fire, when William Holden goes to light her cigarette.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucy, but I don't believe that story, for some reason.  I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the "LA at Last" script, and see if it was in there.  I know it was a live show, filmed in front of a studio audience, but if something MISTAKENLY was set on fire, do you think Lucy, or anybody on the set would've let her nose burn for that long?  

In 2000, I had seen Barbra Streisand for the second time in concert.  Before she sang the song, "Alfie," she tells this story how she was in a car, and the radio was on, and I thought what a pretty song.  Why haven't I ever recorded that.  She then said she called up the radio station to find out the title of the song, and who sang it.  The person on the phone at the radio station said it was "Alfie," by Barbra Streisand.  I mean, not for nothin', don't get me wrong, but first off, you don't recognize your own singing voice?  Secondly, you don't remember going to a recording studio, and recording it?  

Both of those stories seem far-fetched to me.  I'm not saying they didn't happen the way they told the,.  I just have a hard time believing those two stories. 

Back to Lucy.  I've seen her on various talk-shows, over the years.  Whenever the host asks her if she has a favorite "I Love Lucy" episode.  On one show, she told the host it was "Job Switching," On a different show, she said it was one of the baby shows, and on another one she said "LA at Last."  I'm not saying those aren't her favorites, but she could've said, "Well, there are a few," and then she could've named them, but she told different hosts, different episodes.  I know it's hard to pick just ONE episode.  I just thought it was interesting that she told three different hosts, three different episodes.  LOL!   :)   ;)   :P

Thoughts?  

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching the Blu Rays today of the show and I could not believe the details- I just noticed Lucy's black eye and bruise during the show "The Young Fans"

I cant wait to see that kind of quality brought to season 2!

Oh never noticed the black eye. That's going to take another viewing.

I think its under her left eye. Its covered pretty well though, but during the scene where she's soaking her feet, you can see the actual puffiness a little better. She gets a cheek on that same side and doesn't flinch, so it must have occurred some days before taping and maybe left a bad bruise but wasn't too painful

• 3 weeks later...

Having received an advance copy of the set last night, and getting halfway through the bonus features, I'm thrilled to say the Season Two Blu Ray lives up to the incredibly high bar set by Tom Watson, Jonathan Angus, and the rest of the brains behind the Season 1 release. The quality is superb and it is wonderful to see so much of this extra content placed in its proper context. Well done, all! Even a fraction of the way through, I am in awe of the time and effort that is put into each release. It is such a gift to fans everywhere.

• Like 2

Having received an advance copy of the set last night, and getting halfway through the bonus features, I'm thrilled to say the Season Two Blu Ray lives up to the incredibly high bar set by Tom Watson, Jonathan Angus, and the rest of the brains behind the Season 1 release. The quality is superb and it is wonderful to see so much of this extra content placed in its proper context. Well done, all! Even a fraction of the way through, I am in awe of the time and effort that is put into each release. It is such a gift to fans everywhere.

You lucky son of a gun! I read that the set includes the Red Skelton ILL sketch, which I have always wanted to see.

You lucky son of a gun! I read that the set includes the Red Skelton ILL sketch, which I have always wanted to see.

It does! An it's pretty funny.

Skipped ahead to watch The ILL Movie and noticed Barbara Pepper also in the audience as well for the filming (along with Hazel). It must have come as quite a surprise to some audience members when their seatmates popped up in Breaking The Lease. ;)

• Like 3

It does! An it's pretty funny.

Skipped ahead to watch The ILL Movie and noticed Barbara Pepper also in the audience as well for the filming (along with Hazel). It must have come as quite a surprise to some audience members when their seatmates popped up in Breaking The Lease. ;)

What's up with the inclusion of Barbara and Hazel in the audience. Was DeDe anywhere to be seen?

I reread up on the set tonight. It says there's a French Canadian version of Job Switching. Do we know if Claude was involved with the dubbing process?

• Like 1