Lucy calls the president

How many Lucy fans enjoy this special? It is a shame that the President didn't get there after all the hype, but Lillian's (prerecorded) phone conversation was cool I guess. Where was she if she could go right to the Whittaker's house for dinner? Did she just happen to live in Bundy? Or did she have one of the secret service men fly her in on a jet from the White House? You could see how the right side of Viv's face was paralyzed but she was a trouper and did a fantastic job. And Miss Ball had a right to be upset during rehearsals because Deedee had just passed away. The end was really funny with Snaggletooth Lucy stepping in the potato salad and then immediately sitting on the cake. And the picture of President Carter on the cake was downright scary.  :blink: looked like it belonged in a scary haunted house at Halloween. Lucy's Jack-o-lantern line was certainly fitting. And you could totally tell that the frosting that they squirt on the secret service man was red silly string. And the roses on the cake were just blobs of frosting. 

It was videotaped at the Warner Bros. Burbank studios, but which soundstage? It would be cool if it was on one of the same ones that house the set for Big Bang or formerly Full House and Family Matters. 

I enjoy this special for sentimental reasons more than anything else. Its kind of hard to watch knowing its the last time Lucy worked with Vivian, Mary Jane and Mary Wickes. But it is funny in its own right and its great to see Gale in a more subtle performance. Also seeing Lucy on videotape for once is interesting. A glimpse of what she would've been like in an "All in the Family" type of show.

I love Lucy Calls The President, simply because it reunited Lucy, Viv, Gale, Mary Jane and Mary one last time. 

The casting was kind of strange.  Lucy was 13 years older than Ed McMahon, who played her husband.  Also Gale playing her father- in- law, and Mary Wickes playing her aunt, (although Mary was always playing an aunt) was  odd.  I guess Lucy Whitaker was supposed to be 10 years younger than Lucille Ball. 

I forgot, Gary Morton was 13 years younger than Lucille Ball, also. 

My favorite (read: funniest) of her specials. 

Certainly the most "throwback": I think what made it truly "special" was the simple fact the "veterans" all got to get to work together in a "Lucy" setting for the very last time, regardless of all the backstage/production strife, recent passings, and ill health: As a viewer/long-time fan, you can revel in watching these old pros strut their stuff one last time!  Priceless!  :fabrary:

• 2 weeks later...

i love this special. It is so funny and great comedy moments. I wish Life With Lucy had been more like this if they wanted comedy though I like the dramatic moments of that show better like Mother of the Bride.

It's a shame that these characters couldn't have been used in a series or a series of specials, kind of like the bimonthly LDCH specials.

It's a shame that these characters couldn't have been used in a series or a series of specials, kind of like the bimonthly LDCH specials.

Great idea, Brian! Or perhaps LWL could have "spun off" from these main characters and "adjusted" from there.... Of course, Lucy Whitaker would probably have had to have a job (I don't recall a reference to one in the special) and it's been so long since I've watched it, not sure what Ed and Gale's characters did.... Sadly too we wouldn't have had Viv back but then perhaps they could have asked Sister Wickes and Mary Jane to pick up the slack....

I've never realized this till now but isn't this the first -- and last -- time since Lucy Ricardo that a "Lucy" character had another on-screen husband?? Unless I'm mistaken she was a widow in every other "incarnation".....and Ed McMahon yet.  Not a big fan to be honest.  Maybe if they'd done a spin-off he could have been recast with someone a bit more....dashing.

Think of the possibilities! ;)

I love the show, but...well...the writing and the plot, and then some points of the performances...feel a little off beat to me.

No matter which way I try to look at it lol I think to myself  "this was considered funny back then so go with it" but then I watch all of the delayed reactions and the over the top yelling and by the time her teeth come out and she steps in the potato salad, I just think AYAYAYAYAY- at least its good to see them all together again in one show and doing what they do best...

Archived