"The Lucy Show" - Public Domain

Funny you should mention that, I went to HMV the other day and some young punkass idiot switched her Lucy shows to the I Love Lucy section and put them both together like they were the same shows.  CTS keeps showing the same public domain ones over and over every single night, it's starting to annoy me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you should mention that, I went to HMV the other day and some young punkass idiot switched her Lucy shows to the I Love Lucy section and put them both together like they were the same shows.  CTS keeps showing the same public domain ones over and over every single night, it's starting to annoy me.

Whenever I spend any amount of time in a shop like Best Buy, Fry's or even Target sometimes when they carry my favorite shows, invariably I end up playing "stock boy" and cleaning up the shelves since it never fails that one show is smooshed together with the other one or they're horribly out of order... what's so hard about putting them in alphabetical then season by season order?? ;)

Although I *DO* think it'd be cool if some of these bigger stores with plenty of space would devote a whole endcap with all things Lucy, including all TLBS DVDs that have been released.... and a nice big pink :ill: drawing the customers' attention to the display wouldn't hurt either, IMHO! :peachonthebeach:

It must've been in the late 80s that they lapsed, as Goodtimes included clips of the Jack Benny episode in their 1989 "A Tribute to Lucy" and then from Barbershop and Shower in 1993's "Funny World of Lucy".

I've noticed that the amount of PD rereleases has decreased or stopped completely since the official seasons came out. Maybe the copyrights have been renewed and they don't legally be sold anymore in the PD?

Could very well BE, although, who cares at this point, all those public domain releases take up a whole shelf in my living room and I'd love to just throw them out or at least give them away, BUT, remember when that's all we had, now we have the originals and they are flawless and we should never watch those horrid copies again.  Trouble is, the ones that are rerun in syndication are just as horrid.

Could very well BE, although, who cares at this point, all those public domain releases take up a whole shelf in my living room and I'd love to just throw them out or at least give them away, BUT, remember when that's all we had, now we have the originals and they are flawless and we should never watch those horrid copies again.  Trouble is, the ones that are rerun in syndication are just as horrid.

AMEN! And I still do occasionally see these g**damn PD copies right alongside "the real deal" -- usually whereever TLS is stocked, so I usually pick 'em up and hide them behind another title totally un-Lucy related!! Ha! That'll teach 'em! ;):P

Not at HMV's flagship store here in Montreal, they've run out of public domain crap and only have the originals now, only problem is, they keep putting up I Love Lucy and it always sells out, when will they wake up to the fact that it's the most popular tv show of all time and should bring in LOTS more copies?  Loads of copies of seinfeld that nobody buys though, LOL!

Not at HMV's flagship store here in Montreal, they've run out of public domain crap and only have the originals now, only problem is, they keep putting up I Love Lucy and it always sells out, when will they wake up to the fact that it's the most popular tv show of all time and should bring in LOTS more copies?  Loads of copies of seinfeld that nobody buys though, LOL!

I was heartened today to see several copies of the latest "comic renderings" covers version of ILL at 3 different retail stores but at the same time dismayed (but not surprised) to find not one copy of HL or TLS.... damn it! :P

Well, HERE they now carry all three series but the BIG MOVER is the one that's never available.  I know you showed me the figures telling me Blu Ray is doing so well.  BUT here, it's not, maybe the economy's too bad here but they don't sell well at all, as a matter of fact even classics like Apocalypse now are selling in the cheap racks at ten dollars or less and many are at 5 bucks now, yes, Blu Rays.  Loads and loads of them at five smackeroos.  New releases are ridiculously SPENSIVE though.

Well, HERE they now carry all three series but the BIG MOVER is the one that's never available.  I know you showed me the figures telling me Blu Ray is doing so well.  BUT here, it's not, maybe the economy's too bad here but they don't sell well at all, as a matter of fact even classics like Apocalypse now are selling in the cheap racks at ten dollars or less and many are at 5 bucks now, yes, Blu Rays.  Loads and loads of them at five smackeroos.  New releases are ridiculously SPENSIVE though.

I don't think that's reflective so much that they're not selling but rather indicates how cheaply they can actually be produced, at least the older, catalog titles that have already been put out on DVD meaning there's already a digital master they can use to put out a cheap version via Blu-ray..... New Releases, etc. however will always be put out full price (but often with good discounts when first released) because that's where the demand is...They're not going the way of Beta just yet!.... :P

It must've been in the late 80s that they lapsed, as Goodtimes included clips of the Jack Benny episode in their 1989 "A Tribute to Lucy" and then from Barbershop and Shower in 1993's "Funny World of Lucy".

I've noticed that the amount of PD rereleases has decreased or stopped completely since the official seasons came out. Maybe the copyrights have been renewed and they don't legally be sold anymore in the PD?

The first Lucy Show I bought was "Jack Benny's Account" which at the time was the only show available and ONLY available on Betamax!

Of course there were, I told you, we had to buy that series in FIVE formats that I know of, that special 40th anniversary Laserdisc, then Beta, VHS, then DVD and now Blu Ray.

CBS Fox also released -- if memory serves -- 3 or 4 LaserDiscs along with that ultra cool -- had many great bonus features on it as I recall -- special Criterion edition.....but then they only had I think 4 eps on each -- such a waste!!  :P

Believe me Brian if we'd known DVDs were not far behind, I'm sure most of us "early adopters" would have totally bypassed the now-defunct LD format since they were really cool in concept but in execution? (not to mention regular use!):  CLUNKY!!!! Oy! ;)

I think someone transferred that Laser Disc for me, onto VHS, should have had that transferred to DVD, have no idea what happened to it, but you're right, such a waste that the material wasn't later made available on dvd, it was done by Bart Andrews I believe or at least he was the one plugging it on that Joan Rivers afternoon show,.

I think someone transferred that Laser Disc for me, onto VHS, should have had that transferred to DVD, have no idea what happened to it, but you're right, such a waste that the material wasn't later made available on dvd, it was done by Bart Andrews I believe or at least he was the one plugging it on that Joan Rivers afternoon show,.

I know there was a nice interview on it with the late great Dann Cahn...which I'd love to hear again but...not able at the moment. :lucyeww:

I think Mr Cahn was one the best people to be interviewed, a real class act, sad to see him exit the group of talented people connected with the series who WERE still alive.

One of the things I loved about Dann Cahn was he never had to be prompted for more information. Tom Watson would just as one question and he would take it from there for the next hour or so. It was amazing!

Of course there were, I told you, we had to buy that series in FIVE formats that I know of, that special 40th anniversary Laserdisc, then Beta, VHS, then DVD and now Blu Ray.

I knew about the laserdiscs for ILL but I'd forgotten you said anything about Betamax releases. Guess I've gotten used to tuning you out :P

• 1 year later...

I know a lot of people were clamoring for the official season 5 and 6 sets to see these episodes with good quality prints, but some also threw the word "uncut" in there. For the record, as far as I know, the PD prints were NOT all syndicated edits. The first ones I owned were original network length (except where certain lines were missing due to damaged film). The confusion must've come from all the different companies who released them, and who seemed to draw from different sources at times. Laserlight/Delta definitely released the network length edits, but Mill Creek utilized versions that were cut down in spots. Whether or not those were official syndicated cuts or their own doing I can't say. Some companies seemed to transfer directly from 16mm prints, others seemed to have tape sources. It was all over the board.

Archived