"The Lucy Show" - Public Domain

I just found this very interesting article from a few years ago. It may explain why the companies that released the public domain episodes were able to put their own copyright stamps on them:

http://www.geek.com/news/cbs-refuses-to-let-fan-group-digitize-old-public-domain-jack-benny-content-1060452/

"The reason CBS doesn’t want the Jack Benny Fan Club to digitize the content is actually because merely digitizing old analog content generates a whole new copyright, and CBS doesn’t want the fan group to gain that copyright."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of people were clamoring for the official season 5 and 6 sets to see these episodes with good quality prints, but some also threw the word "uncut" in there. For the record, as far as I know, the PD prints were NOT all syndicated edits. The first ones I owned were original network length (except where certain lines were missing due to damaged film). The confusion must've come from all the different companies who released them, and who seemed to draw from different sources at times. Laserlight/Delta definitely released the network length edits, but Mill Creek utilized versions that were cut down in spots. Whether or not those were official syndicated cuts or their own doing I can't say. Some companies seemed to transfer directly from 16mm prints, others seemed to have tape sources. It was all over the board.

But considering the fine legitimate OFFICIAL TLS releases overseen by Tom Watson & company, don't you think all that preceded them were garbage and pretty much unwatchable?? :blink:

Although I have huge respect for CBS's home video work, it's kind of mean that they won't allow this. I'd rather have the Jack Benny fans taking care of his legacy than have all of his tapes sitting in a vault somewhere.

They're not doing it to be "mean", as with ILL they want to make all the money off of this property that they can! 

But considering the fine legitimate OFFICIAL TLS releases overseen by Tom Watson & company, don't you think all that preceded them were garbage and pretty much unwatchable?? :blink:

Oh completely. I only watched those original prints because they were all I had. The new, official sets run circles around any public domain compilation. I'm just trying to sort out in my head who released what, and what differences there were between them. Plus, it's worth having a PD copy of the Pat Collins episode to hear the cut musical number. It didn't amount to much and I understand completely why it was cut, but it's nice to hear nonetheless.

They're not doing it to be "mean", as with ILL they want to make all the money off of this property that they can!

But I think the point of the article was that they refuse to release it. They don't own the copyright anymore, nor do they plan on doing anything with it, but nor will they allow anyone else to use it. Catch 22.

But I think the point of the article was that they refuse to release it. They don't own the copyright anymore, nor do they plan on doing anything with it, but nor will they allow anyone else to use it. Catch 22.

Oh I see (didn't follow the link/read the article) then.... Well then they're just mean AND greedy sons-a-bitches! :HALKING:

Archived