Photos of Lucy at her childhood home

• 1 month later...

I'd love to read Desi's mind while there; to know the wealthy broad he was wed to grew up poor; he grew up rich; went to poor; and came back rich, all due to his brains and our girl;  She went from poor to rich and died rich.  It must have been a tranquilizing few hours for him, coming to grips with that about her.

The 'grapevine', an elderly person I know, now passed on, worked in a grocery story down town; when in Jamestown, 1956, she brought Desi to meet Johnny - don't know if Johnny owned, or part owned the store; but, he was one of the back-room 'card-playing' guys who hung there!!!!  So, guess Desi knew as much about her as anyone.

I would think she told him a lot about growing up where and how she did. According to both in that first date they sort of laid out their whole backstory to each other and overcoming their struggles was what probably endeared them to each other. I do agree though it’s one thing to hear about it but to actually see where she came from makes it all more real. I’m sure she told lots of stories as they were touring the house. You can see that in the picture of the curtain rod. She has to be telling him about the plays they did and how they used that as their curtain. Was this his first trip to Jamestown? From what I’ve read all indications point to him not going back with her to bury Grandpa Hunt. I’m thinking the Army was the issue then. Another thing, there’s snow on the ground and this was Feb. It had to be cold. It seems from the pictures I’ve seen that it was a nice trip for both.

I’m intrigued by that story on her seeing Johnny. I’ve read that in a past visit or 2 to Jamestown Lucy would check in with his mother. I wonder if she saw him then too. I’m pretty sure she was solo on those trips. I’m not surprised if this meeting in 56’ did happen and that it happened in a private location. So many meetings and events they had that week the press was at. I’m pretty sure it was due to how he figured into her life and also the mob ties. Not something you want to be linked to, especially after the red scare stuff. Also the significance of him in her life I think necessitated the private meeting. This wasn't the innocent Vinny Myers 8th grade boyfriend who she met up with that week too. This was what I’ve heard some people refer to as her first love (and I think probably her “first”) and the way she talks about him in her book I believe it. Wasn't she 14 when they got together and her mom had major issues with his age and mob ties? Lucy even says in her book that it took until she left for CA to shake the thought of him. Joyce either you or others on here said that when Lucy would come back and forth from NY Johnny was who she would come home to see. I know he took her to the train station on probably more than 1 occasion and probably picked her up too. I’m also pretty sure Desi knew all about Johnny too. Well maybe not all, but a great deal. I don’t think it was any big revelation on who he was but a nice thing for them to meet. Does anyone know when Lucy in print first mentions him? Was he mentioned in the Harris book

Lucy saw Johnny while in Jamestown in 1937 and 1944. There's a picture of her with Johnny in 1944 in Kathleen Brady's Lucille. One of Johnny's sisters lived in California and she and Lucy seemed to remain friendly. She recounts a story in the Brady book where she and her husband went to visit Desi and a very pregnant Lucy in 1951 and Desi asked about Johnny. Johnny died in 1957, a year after the last Jamestown trip.

Ah thanks for all of that. Gotta go look up that picture again. Totally forgot about it. Forgot about the sister story too. It’s been awhile since I’ve read that book, or all the way through at least. I thought Johnny died fairly young. Nice to know it was in 57’ as before Joyce’s story I thought it was more likely in the early 50’s. Do you know why she went back in 37’? Was it just to visit? Did the studio send her on film promotion business? Was she in the area (ie Buffalo?). I think I may have seen a picture or 2, or maybe it was a piece Joyce posted referencing her being there in 37’. So the return trips once she left for CA where 37’, 44’, 56’ and before she died 89’ was planned. Did she ever visit any other time before 56’ and 89’?

Lucy went Jamestown for a visit in 1937 because she was on the east coast following the closing of Hi Diddle Diddle. Lucy also went back for a visit in 1934 and saw Johnny that time as well. I think she also went back in 1946 after a New York vacation and did some fundraising for the Little Theater. The picture of Lucy and Johnny in the Brady book could be from this visit.

Johnny never married or had any children, did he?  I remember on the cemetery tour this past summer that he died of natural causes in 1957.  I think he was only about 50.  Must've been a heart attack??

There is a picture on a ticket from the cemetery tour that says, "Johnny DeVita, Lucy's Boyfriend"  (terribly corny, if you ask me).  I was wondering if the picture was supposed to be him.  If so, he was pretty cute.  I could see Lucy gettin' all hot and bothered by him.  ;)

Checked for the Johnny pic. There isn't one. There is one of Lucy with Grandma Peterson and Marion's son from when she went back in 37'. I know we've seen a pic of Johnny before but I don't recall seeing one of them together.

The Johnny picture is in my edition (the 2001 release). It's on the page after the picture of Grandma Peterson and Marion Strong's son.

Archived