Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 1 - November

leenorman

November 1

Dean Miller, Desilu Productions' December Bride, 111 episodes, as Matt Henshaw, between 1954-1959; and Host, Here's Hollywood, 40 episodes, 1960-1961, is born this date in 1924.

Betsy Palmer, regular panel (“I've Got a Secretâ€) Lucille Ball on panel, 1961; Lucille, as guest 1965, 1966, - Betsy - Headliner - Lucille Ball Memorial Day Weekend Event, 2003, is born this date in 1929.

Lucille Ball appears, in an uncredited role, as an Extra, in RKO Radio film, Three Musketeers, starring Paul Lukas and Moroni Olsen, among many others, released this date in 1935.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “RKO Studio is paring down its exclusive contract players to a very small list, one of whom is Lucille Ball,†published this date in 1938.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Pictures' Dancing on a Dime, as Mac, co-starring John Gallaudet, Peter Lind Hayes, Charles Lane, Eddie Quillan, Phillip Terry; James Flavin, and Herb Vigran (uncredited); among many others, released on this date in 1940.

MGM's Ziegfeld Follies star-studded cast includes Lucille Ball, a panther tamer a novelty of a film, with no plot, two years in the making, also features William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), in a skit “A Sweepstakes Ticketâ€, and is previewed at the Westwood Village Theater, on this date in 1944.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz will both be making pictures at Columbia,†published this date in 1948.

Desilu Productions' Ed Hamilton, submitted a proposal for two show tie-ins with American Export Lines Independence or Constitution Allison S. Graham, director of publicity (AEL), will oversee production on two (“I Love Lucyâ€) episodes once problems are worked out, and AEL demands regarding a list of 'musts' to be included in the contract, this date in 1955.

Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, this issue: “50's Musicâ€, co-starring Jack Benny, Bob Crosby, Nanette Fabray, and Johnnie Ray, among others, airs this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucyâ€)“Lucy and the Loving Cupâ€â€“ guest co-starring jockey, Johnny Longdon, as himself, wherein Ricky is to give a trophy to the most successful jocky in history, Lucy buying a new hat for the occasion, and which is filmed this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball (as Lucy Ricardo) and Desi Arnaz, Director, appear on NBC's The Sunday Showcase: The Milton Berle Special - Milton in trouble since he has forgotten his wedding anniversary and Lucille talks him into buying a diamond ring; tries it on and can't get it off, (which episode Milton re-runs after Lucille's death, with a new introduction, filmed by Berle and incorporated into this version) which original episode includes appearances by Lucy veteran Lloyd Corrigan, and Nancy Kulp, among others, airs this date in 1959.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy Helps Danny Thomas†- Bob O'Brien, writer - Lucy goes to work for Mooney; delivers an envelope to a television studio; then goes to work as a chorus girl on a Danny Thomas TV special, airing this date in 1965.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Her All-Nun Band†- Harry's sister, a nun, comes to town to hire a band; Lucy procures one for her; but, has to fill in on the saxophone herself, airing this date in 1971.

Lucille Ball is a guest on The Tonight Show, with Joan Rivers, this date in 1985.

Bergen Record, Joel Pisetzner: “Life of a Glad Bag Lady - Lucille Ball in Stone Pillow,- Lifestyle Section,†published this date in 1985.

Toronto Star: “Lucille Ball's Bag Lady Has Her Funny Moments,†published this date in 1985.

Phil Silvers, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz Toast of the Town, 1956, 1958, and with Lucille 1962; Lucille appears on Phil's Show, 1959; co-star, 1963, and Lucille's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1966, dies this date in 1985.

Life With Lucy, “Lucy Makes Curtis Byte the Dustâ€, directed by Marc Daniels, revolving around inventory at the Hardware store and the purchase of a computer to aid in this process, airing this date in 1986.

People: “Readers' Poll of Personalities and Their Impact 1974-1994 (inset on Lucy),†published this date in 1993.

Lucille Ball appears on the cover of of Reminisce Magazine: Featuring a fun article about family TV comedies of the 1950's, published this month in 2006.

November 2

Shepard Menken, cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1951, 2 episodes, 1953, 1956, is born this date in 1921.

Lucille Ball appears, in an uncredited chorine and 'girl on the beach' roles, in United Artists' film Broadway Through a Keyhole, starring, among many others, Eddie Foy, Jr.; as well as Charles Lane, Dennis O'Keefe, Ann Sothern, and Walter Winchell, as himself, all uncredited, released this date in 1933.

Desi Arnaz, having been signed to make three pictures by RKO, knew that marriage was the solution to his and Lucille's misery of being apart so much in their separate careers, in 1940.

Stefanie Powers, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1961; co-star, Desilu Productions', Swinging Together, an unsold pilot, 1966; appears with Lucie Arnaz Night of 100 Stars, 1982; and with Lucille Ball Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; is born this date in 1942.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Draftedâ€â€“ wherein Lucy reads a letter from the War Department, assuming Ricky has been drafted, filmed this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz appears, as Mystery Guest, on CBS Television (“What's My Line?â€), airing this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Baby Pictures†- bragging rights take over when the Applebys, veteran supporting cast members, Hy Averback and Doris Singleton, do the same; due to the ensuing disagreement, Ricky loses a TV gig, airing this date in 1953.

Daily Variety, quotes Desi Arnaz: “We would be able to do many things and have far more scope. I want to keep Vivian and Bill with us in the new show. I like working with them,and went on to speculate that half-hour shows were slowly but definitely being replaced in popularity by the sixty- and ninety-minute showsâ€, in 1955.

TV Guide cover: Lucille Ball appears (Gouache - color caricature by Al Hirschfeld)â€, this week in 1957.

Chicago Daily Tribune TV Week cover: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear,†this week in 1957.

Cosmopolitan, John A. Scott: “How to Be a Success in Show Business,†published in November 1958.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy, the Meter Maid†- Bob O'Brien, writer - Lucy abuses her authority; she and Viv feud, airing this date in 1964.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) guest stars on The Match Game, broadcast this date in 1967.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy's Wedding Party†- Harry, away at college reunion, and Lucy offers his house to a Greek couple needing a place to get married, airing this date in 1970.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California): “Lucy's Appearance at Claremont College,†published this date in 1985.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California): “('I Love Lucy'): Television's Queen of Comedy Will Share Some Memories from Her Best Years,†published this date in 1985.

Paul Frees, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1949, and My Three Sons, 1960, guest, Desilu Productions' Guns of Zangara, 1960, The Untouchables, 1960, and Fractured Flickers, 1963-64, dies this date in 1986.

Lucie Arnaz makes a guest appearance, among many other current and former CBS stars, CBS At 75, airing this date in 2003.

post-gazette NOW - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Lucy's' Little Ricky grows into new roles - by Monica Haynes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette “Keith Thibodeaux, who played Little Ricky in the (“I Love Lucyâ€) series, a professional drummer at age 3 and on a hit television show at 5, bllled as Richard Keith, because producers thought Thibodeaux (pronounced tib-uh-doe) would be too difficult for people to pronounce. Recently, the 57-year-old musician/actor and director of a dance company called Ballet Magnificat was in Pittsburgh to shoot a role for the Christian movie C Me Dance, now filming, which centers on a young dancer. He was part of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnazes extended family, he said. 'Lucy took care of me, and on the set, they gave me whatever I wanted, made sure the crew didn't cuss around me. They basically looked out for me as a child being on an adult set' His father was a bit of a stage dad, and got a job with Desilu's public relations department," published this date in 2008.

November 3

Jack Donohue, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, dance director, Best Foot Forward, 1943, Meet the People, 1944, and Easy to Wed, 1946; director, (The Lucy Show), 14 episodes, 1962-68; guest co-star, (The Lucy Show), 1963; director, Mr. & Mrs., 1964; producer, (The Lucy Show), 1965; co-star, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1974; director, Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, 1974; director, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 6 episodes, 1968-1974; co-star, Lucy Gets Lucky, 1975, as well as director, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; director, Sinatra: The First 40 Years, 1980, on which Lucille appears, is born this date in 1908.

Charles Bronson, Desi Arnaz guest co-star, Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, 1955, Wire Service, 1956; Those Whiting Girls, and Sheriff of Cochise, 1957, The Walter Winchell File, 1958; U.S. Marshal, 2 episodes, 1959; The Untouchables, as well as, Here's Hollywood, 1962; appears with Lucille Ball, on The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda, 1978; with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz on Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; appears with Lucille, who hosts, an All-Star Party for Clint Eastwood, 1986; appears with Lucille on Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987, is born this date in 1921.

Peggy McCay, guest co-star in Desilu Productions' The Adventures of Jim Bowie 2 episodes, 1957; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 1963; Desilu Productions' The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963, Slattery's People, 1964; as well as many-year star, daytime television, Days of Our Lives, 188 episodes, 1983-2009, is born this date in 1930.

Ken Berry, of F Troop and Mama's Family fame; protege of Lucille Ball, Desilu Playhouse, late 1950's; Desilu Productions' The Ann Sothern Show 3 episodes, 1960; Harrigan & Son, 1960; and guest co-star The Lucy Show, 1968; Desilu Productions' You Don't Say, 1967; Desilu Studios-filmed The Andy Griffith Show, 4 episodes, as Sam Jones, 1968; appears with Lucille, co-hostess CBS: On the Air, 1978, is born this date in 1933.

Lucille Ball was too busy to vote (in her second Lily Pons film, That Girl from Paris, playing opposite Gene Raymond) Election Day, when Roosevelt was re-elected President, on this day in 1936.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “A sneak thief, expert on timing, stole a pair of gold earrings from Lucille Ball's purse at Palm Springs, when she was only out of the room 15 minutes,†published this date in 1944.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Murder Herâ€, a re-run of Episode #4, with added footage - Lucy reading mystery novels, which aired this date in 1952.

Roseanne Barr, appears with Lucille Ball (via archival footage) Funny Women of Television 1991, with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille, via archival footage, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz; Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes), all via arhival footages, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary Special, 2001; appears with Lucille and Desi; Vivian and William (Mertzes), all via arhival footages, with Lucie and Desi IV, The Desilu Story, 2003; as well as with Lucille and Vivian (Ethel Mertz), all via archival footages TV's Greatest Sidekicks, 2004, is born this date in 1952.

Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, this issue: “Auto Showâ€, William Lundigan, Host, Ralph Levy, Director; and co-starring Gracie Allen, Jack Benny, Gary Crosby, Frankie Laine, and Marilyn Maxwell, among others, airs this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Nursery Schoolâ€, co-starring the Mayer Twins, as Little Ricky, wherein Lucy is reluctant to send Little Ricky to nursery school; he gets sick; is filmed this date in 1955.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on NY Herald Tribune TV and Radio Magazine cover this week in 1957.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “Debutâ€, 1958, guest co-starring Martin Milner and Susan Strasberg, airs this date in 1958.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy's Burglar Alarm†- Lucy is robbed; a detective tries to get her to buy an expensive burglar alarm, airing this date in 1969.

Philip J. Amelio, II, Lucille Ball cast member, as grandson, Kevin McGibbon, 13 episodes, ABC (Life With Lucy) 1986, is born this date in 1977.

Desi Arnaz IV stars in King-Hitzig Productions' How to Pick Up Girls, as Robby Harrington, co-starring Polly Bergen, Richard Dawson, Alan King, and Abe Vigoda, among others, released this date in 1978.

Lucille Ball appears on The Wisconsin State Journal TV Week cover this week in 1985.

Bergen Record - Lifestyle Section, Joanna Ostrow: “Lucy Without Laughs; Comedienne Ball Stars as Bag Lady,†published this date in 1985.

William Lanteau, Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Facts of Life, 1960; Desilu Studios-filmed The Andy Griffith Show, 1960; Desilu Productions' The Bill Dana Show, 1963; guest star, Mr. & Mrs., 1964; guest, (The Lucy Show), 1967; guest, Desilu Productions' The Mothers-in-Law, 1968; Lucille's guest co-star (“Here's Lucyâ€) 1969; 1971; 1973; and Lucille-directed, Bungle Abbey, written by Seaman Jacobs, 1981; dies this date in 1993.

Lucie Arnaz, Desi Arnaz IV, host; Lucille Ball and Gale Gordon appear, via archival footage, on GAB Entertainment's (“Here's Lucyâ€): On Location, 2009; with Lucille's sister/cousin, Cleo and her husband, Drama Critic, Cecil Smith, who co-starred with Lucille (“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy Meets the Burtonsâ€, 1970; Director/Writer, George Marshall; and writer/column contributor on Lucy-Desi News Briefs, Jamestown NY, and director (“Here's Lucyâ€), 11 episodes, 1969; as well as guest co-star, one episode “Lucy Runs the Rapids†1969; Howard Rayfiel, Production Executive, (“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Jack Benny's Biographyâ€, 1970; “Lucy and Mannix Are Held Hostage†and “Lucy and Alladin's Lampâ€, 1971; guest co-stars, Ella Raines and Paul Fix, via archival footage; as well as Lucille guest co-star, Wayne Newton, airing this date in 2009.

The 'Real Simple' Daily Thought: “The secret of staying young is to live honestly; eat slowly; and lie about your age†- Lucille Ball - via e-mail this date in 2009.

November 4

Walter Cronkite, appears with Lucille Ball: CBS: The Stars' Address, 1963, CBS: On The Air, 1978, as Host; Master of Ceremonies: The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, Lucille, the Honoree, 1986; Fame in the Twentieth Century, Lucille via archival footage, 1993; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993, and CBS at 75, 2003, is born this date in 1916.

Art Carney, of The Honeymooners’ fame, friend and guest co-star, Lucille Ball film: A Guide for the Married Man, 1967; Timex Presents A Lucille Ball Special: “Happy Anniversary and Goodbyeâ€, 1974; and A Lucille Ball Special: “What Now, Catherine Curtis?†1976; appears with Lucille Ball, CBS: On The Air, 1978; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; as well as with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, via archival footage, Ed Sullivan All-Star Comedy Special, 1995, is born this date in 1918.

Cameron Mitchell, stars in Desilu Productions' The Untouchables, 1959; and Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960, is born this date in 1918.

Shirley Mitchell, veteran supporting cast member (“I Love Lucyâ€) 2 episodes, 1953, as well as Marion Strong, 1954; guest co-star, Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, 1957, Make Room For Daddy, 3 episodes, 1954-62, The Joey Bishop Show, 1962, Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse, 1963, E! True Hollywood Story, as herself, The Desilu Story, 2003, and (“I Love Lucyâ€), 2005; as well as with Lucille, among many other stars, via archival footage, You Know the Face, 2009, is born this date in 1919.

LA Evening Herald Express, Strolling Along Hollywood's Gossipy Corners With Jimmy Starr: “What Cutie who has been doing the gay spots is Lucille Ball, a Bright Light Lady from New York,†published this date in 1933.

Hollywood Citizen News, Elizabeth Yeaman: “Two newcomers at Radio Pictures got assignments that made them happy today - Follow the Fleet, with Lucille Ball starring,†published this date in 1935.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Desi Arnaz will save a lot of money when Lucille Ball finishes Three Girls and a Gob, and goes to NY. Desi calls Lucille at least once a night; sometimes twice. Lucille has RKO's promised time off at Christmas and New Year's in NY. Desi is starring on Broadway: Yours For a Year,†published this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “Mother-In-Lawâ€, airing this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear My Favorite Husband “The Two Mrs. Coopersâ€, airing this date in 1950.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #110, which is filmed this date in 1954.

Desi Arnaz' personal contributions to show business are honored by the Masquers, at a testimonial dinner in LA, with Pat O'Brien, as toastmaster, this date in 1960.

Carole Cook, Veteran Lucy supporting cast member, family friend, and Lucille Ball protege star, of Desilu series pilot, My Wife's Brother, with Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, of Rowan & Martin fame; remembers Desi, while being honored himself at the Masquers testimonial dinner, makes a special point of asking her about her series, this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball makes a guest appearance on CBS The Danny Kaye Show, Episode #1, a delightful viewing of Lucille with Danny, in a different arena for Lucille than ever before in her career, airing this date in 1964.

Lucille Ball makes a guest appearance on CBS The Carol Burnett Show, also appearing is Eddie Albert and Nancy Wilson, Lucille, in return for Carol's guest slot on her show, airing this date in 1968.

LA Times, Cecil Smith: “Lucy to Meet Stiff Foe: Her Movie,†published this date in 1973.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California): “Amidst Laughter, Few Tears, Audience Still Loves Lucyâ€, published this date in 1985.

Christian Science Monitor, Arts Section - Arthur Unger: “Lucille Ball as a Bag Lady?†published this date in 1985.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, via archive footage, among many others, in LaserLight Entertainment Documentary: Judy Garland's Hollywood, broadcast this date in 1997.

Henna Hooper's Hollywood . . . News from the Wonderful World of Lucy - “CBS Salutes Lucy with 50th Anniversary Special - A two-hour potpourri of entertainment to be broadcast Sunday evening, November 11 (9:00-11:00 p.m.) the home of the original Series. 'The show is a little hard to describe,' admits Fred Rappoport, who, with Gary Smith, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV, is serving as executive producer of the special. 'It's definitely not your standard 'clip' show. CBS already did that with Lucille Ball's 25th Anniversary, and it has been done-to-death with a myriad of other specials about Lucy's career. While we are including some brand new musical numbers, interviews with people who worked on the shows, interviews with fans . . . It is a rich mix of elements hopefully, something for everyone. Many stars shared their personal memories and love of Lucy, as well as Madelyn Davis, Bob Carroll, Jr., and Bob Schiller, Lucy writers for many years; Director Bill Asher, who shared over 100 episodes of the show; and Gregg Oppenheimer, son of creator/producer/writer, Jess Oppenheimer, also recall memories of working on the series'â€, this date in 2001.

Sheree North, guest appears Desilu Productions' Shower of Stars, 1954; The Untouchables, 1963; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; as well as Mannix, 1968, dies this date in 2005.

November 5

Natalie Schafer, of Gilligan's Island fame; wife of actor/comedian, Jim Backus (voice of Mr. Magoo); guest co-star (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1954, and co-star Forever Darling, 1956; as well as Desilu Productions' Guestward Ho!, 1960, is born this date in 1900.

Joel McCrea, guest co-star, Desilu Productions Here's Hollywood, 1962; with Lucille Ball, via archival footage, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982, is born this date in 1905.

Roy Rogers, friend of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, once sought rental space at Desilu for his TV show, with Lucille Ball at the 61st Annual Academy Awards, 1989, with wife, Dale Evans, performing the Coconut Grove number, is born this date in 1911.

John McGiver, Lucille Ball guest, (The Lucy Show), 1962; co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) The Front Page, 1970, is born this date in 1913.

Eloise Jenssen, Academy-Award winner, Lucille Ball's long-time costume designer, made costumes for Lucille's film, Lured, 1947; joined (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953; Costume Designer, 9 episodes, 1953-54; Wardrobe Supervisor, 25 episodes, 1953-55; Lucille's wardrobe, 10 episodes, 1953-1955; 13 episodes, 1954-1955; costumes and wardrobe supervision for Forever Darling; 1956; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, My Living Doll, 1964, is born this date in 1922.

NY Evening World reports: “Off Stage Views of Stage People, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz),†published this date in 1925.

NY Herald Tribune reports: “The (Vivian Vance), (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) Cashes in on Her Town's Faith in Her,†published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball appears with Gary Cooper, CBS Radio The Old Gold Comedy Theater, Harold Lloyd, Host, “Ball of Fire,†airing this date in 1944

Hollywood Citizen News, In The News: “Lucille Ball will star in Dream Girl, on the stage of the Curran Theater in San Francisco,†published this date in 1947.

Nearly 14 million people one in nine Americans were tuning in to (“I Love Lucyâ€) as of this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Murder Her†- Lucy, an avid murder mystery book reader, (the first episode of the series filmed; but not aired first) a character development everyone comes to know; with supporting cast member, Jerry Hausner, airing this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record the background music (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #76, filmed this date in 1953.

CBS’ The Lucy Show 30-minutes, black & white This is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball's classic 1960's sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS, it decides to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1955.

TV Guide: Lucille Ball, in an article: “You Can't Stand Still,†published this date in 1957.

Desilu Productions' The Untouchables, “The George 'Bugs' Moran Story†- Quinn Martin, Executive Producer; Bert Granet, Producer; W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor; Kerwin Coughlin, Casting; Sandy Grace, Set Decoration; Ralph Berger, Art Direction; Cam McCulloch, Sound; Bill Heath, Editorial Supervisor; Nelson Riddle, composer, theme music; with Charles West, Property Master; starring Robert Stack, as Special Agent Eliot Ness, and Walter Winchell, as Narrator; co-starring, Bob Hastings, Jack Kruschen, uncredited; Lloyd Nolan, Jerry Paris, Jack Warden and Harry Wilson, among others, airing on this date in 1959.

Ward Bond, of Wagon Train fame; Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 5 films, 1930's, as well as with Lucille, Screen Snapshots Series 18, No. 1, 1938; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1938, 1942, 1950; Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, 1956, as well as with Lucille and Desi (all via archival footages) Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983, dies this date in 1960.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC The Danny Kaye Show, her first color television appearance, produced by (“I Love Lucyâ€) creator, Jess Oppenheimer, a three-Primetime Emmy nominated - “Outstanding Program Achievement in the Field of Humor†“Program of the Yearâ€, in 1963, airing this date in 1962.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy Becomes an Astronaut†- Lucy and Viv volunteer for space, airing this date in 1962.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “The Circus Never Came to Townâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring, Cliff Robertson and Frank Sutton, among others, airs this date in 1963.

Lloyd Corrigan, writer of several William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) films, 1938, 1939, and co-star, two films 1940, 1942; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, A Girl, A Guy and a Gob, 1941; Two Smart People, 1946; Desilu Productions’ Cavalcade of America, 1953, Willy, 1954; Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, 1958, 1959, and The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1957-1960; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star (The Lucy Show), 1962, dies this date in 1969.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Dutyâ€, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr. - Lucy on jury duty, the only dissenting vote, co-starring James E. Brodhead - a man who, in 2010, will host a documentary: Working with Lucy: A Conversation with James E. Brodhead, with Steve Allen, Lillian Carter, Gale Gordon, Ed McMahon, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), and Mary Wickes - and veteran cast members, Sid Gould and Burt Mustin, airing this date in 1973.

Stafford Repp, guest star, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956; Official Detective, 1957; Desilu Studios-filmed, The Real McCoys, 1957-1959; Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, 1958; December Bride, 1959; The Californians, 1959; The Untouchables, 1959; The Texan, 1960; Guestward Ho! 1960; guest co-star, (The Lucy Show), 1963, 1964; Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1967, 1968; as well as (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1970, dies this date in 1974.

Memphis Press Scimitar interview: “Viv's Back and Rhoda's Got Her†Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) is working on her own first book at present, entitled Go Home, Your Eyes Are Too Close Together, “. . . a piece of advice an agent gave me years ago, saying I couldn't possibly be photographed for years, that complex stayed with me,†(and which autobiography didn't see light of day until 1989, ten years after her death),†this interview published this date in 1975.

John Gallaudet, Lucille Ball and William Frawley, early-film-career co-star 1939, 1941 and cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, dies this date in 1983.

Lucille Ball, in her final dramatic TV appearance, on CBS Stone Pillow, ranks #9 in the Nielson Ratings for the week and is second-highest-rated TV-movie of the 1985-86 television season reaching 30 million viewers ultimately receiving the “Golden Halo†award from the Southern California Motion Picture Council, 1986, as Best TV Special. Lucille, a NYC bag lady, befriended by a social worker believed also to be homeless; they try to help each other - Lucille discovers the truth, and (after months of delay due to unfinished work in the script, finally filmed during a sweltering heat wave, during which Lucille lost 23 pounds; ultimately hospitalized for dehydration and exhaustion after film completion and return to the west coast), airing this date in 1985.

Hal Erickson: Stone Pillow: “The Lucy we see is a cranky, fiercely independent, violently resistant, to an alteration of her homeless state; who ultimately agrees to give up her 'stone pillow',†critique published this date in 1985.

Lucille Ball appears on the cover of the Wisconsin State Journal TV-Week this week in 1985.

Boston Globe, Ed Seigel: “Ball belongs to a long line of American actors who spend their days as leading men and woman developing one persona, playing one character, the fate for Lucille Ball. They can dress her in rags, apply fright-mask makeup, do everything to take the girls out of comedy; but, they can't take Lucy Ricardo out of Lucille Ball,†published this date in 1985.

Washington Post, Tom Shales Style Section - Review: “Lukewarm Lucy: A Bag Lady in CBS Stone Pillow - If the character were not played by Lucille Ball, we'd probably react the way passers-by react to real bag ladies on the street we'd look; we'd see; and we'd hurry on our way,†published this date in 1985.

The Village Voice, Thomas J. Cottle: “Lucy on the Half-Shell,†published this date in 1985.

NY Times Review: “Lucille Ball Plays a Bag Lady on CBS,†published this date in 1985.

LA Times, Howard Rosenberg: “Hard to Sit Long for Stone Pillow,†is published this date in 1985.

Variety: “Damon Runyon warmed over without his bite Lucille Ball brings home the bacon physically tough, gallant, impatient, she becomes a memorable portrait of pride going after a fall,†published this date in 1985.

Lucille Ball’s performance in CBS' Stone Pillow prompted ABC to contract with her for her shortened series (Life With Lucy), which was cancelled, probably due to Lucille's fragile state of health, after only eight episodes in television season of 1986-87.

Jim Brochu, author of Lucy in the Afternoon, Lucille Ball's daily backgammon friend and guest the last several months of her life, was asked to be present the day Lucille hosted a young fan who was dying of leukemia and wanted to meet her - hosted by the Starlight Foundation. He spent several hours in her home watching movies with her on this date in 1989.

Fred MacMurray, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' friend and guest co-star, as well as William Frawley's (Lucy's Fred Mertz), co-star, My Three Sons, dies this date in 1991.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California): “Lucy and Gary in 1987,†is published this date in 1995.

Jamestown, NY Director, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum: “A Chautauqua Region Community Foundation Grant, combined with 2005 Chautauqua County Occupancy Tax funds; a donation from Marriott International (in appreciation for Lucie Arnaz's performance January 2006, at Eden Roc Resort & Spa's 50th anniversary gala, Miami Beach); and a Grant from Lake Shore Savings Bank, has made billboards possible, allowing travelers east - I-90 near SR 528, Madison, Ohio, a winking 'Lucy' encouraging them to visit Jamestown Museums and shops; the second, a rotating billboard, in Erie, Pennsylvania, locations, at the intersection, West 12th and Liberty Streets,†is announced this date in 2006.

November 6

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball's keeping busy with friends in Desi's absence; Harold Lloyd, producer, broke tradition and did a bit role in new RKO production Three Girls and a Gob, but won't be seen just does an off-stage whistle,†published this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Katy and Roscoeâ€, airing this date in 1948.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) appears in 13 episodes, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, between 1957 and 1960, commencing with “Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana,†airing this date in 1957.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears in 13 episodes, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, between 1957 and 1960, commencing with “Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana,†airing this date in 1957.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz star in CBS (first of five contracted) The Ford Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show: “Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havanaâ€, guest co-starring Ann Sothern, Rudy Vallee, Cesar Romero, and Hedda Hopper, who interviews the Ricardos and Mertzes in Connecticut; the couples reminisce about how Lucy and Ricky first met, (on a cruise); as are Fred and Ethel (on their tenth wedding anniversary); Rudy Vallee, a radio star is also on board; Lucy tries to get him to hire Ricky; Lucy and Ann Sothern get drunk and end up in jail, an episode viewed in 18.828 million homes. This episode turned controversial when Desi Arnaz insisted on a fifteen-minute excess time for the film and convinced the show sponsor to relinquish its time, giving them the extra time - The U.S. Steel Hour (which ultimately enjoyed its highest rating ever); with Jack Aldworth, first of thirteen episodes as Associate Producer; E.C. Norton, Music Editor and Rerecording Editor, Robert Reeve; as well as Della Fox, Costumer for twelve episodes, and airing this date in 1957.

Desilu Productions' Yancy Derringer, Jock Mahoney, as Yancy, among many others, “A Bullet for Bridgetâ€, with Lucy and Desilu veterans W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor and Don E. Sharpe, Executive Producer, airs this date in 1958.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “Come Back to Sorrentoâ€, starring Robert Loggia and Paul Picerni, airs this date in 1959.

Excerpt from Laughing With Lucy, by M.P.M. Davis & B. Carroll, Jr., long-time friends and writing partners for all Lucy Shows; many radio and movies reminisce in their book [published 2005] collaboration: “A devastating LA fire burned both our families out and we all stayed in Desi's penthouse at the Chateau Marmont, at his request,†on this date in 1961.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) guest stars on (“I've Got A Secretâ€) broadcast this date in 1961.

Vivian Vance, (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) guest appears with Abe Burrows, on Password, on this date in 1961.

Vivian Vance, (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears, as a Panelist, with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., on Password, on this date in 1963.

(The Lucy Show) “Lucy Gets Mooney Fired†- a small shortage at the bank prompts Lucy to put her money in; Mooney is fired for reporting the shortage, airing this date in 1967.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Jim Bailey†- Bob O'Brien, writer - Phyllis Diller is booked for a Chamber of Commerce event; can't perform, so Kim gets Jim Bailey to fill in as Phyllis, airing this date in 1972.

Patrick Dennis, author of Auntie Mame, Lucille having played Mame in 1974, dies this date in 1976.

The Daily Trojan (USC newspaper) “Lucille Ball, rehearsing for Du Barry Was A Lady, her first Technicolor film, told choreographer, Chuck Wallace: 'I can't sing! I can't dance!' who told her: “You can; stop wasting time and get it done,†pubished this date in 1980.

Bergen Record: “NY Didn't Quite Love Lucy: Protests CBS Portrayal of City Homeless,†published this date in 1985.

Lucie Arnaz, in a press release referring to “Heaven Knowsâ€, a song recorded by her friends, with sale proceeds going to The Twin Towers Fund, set up to help victims of the World Trade Center destruction and their families: “Like so many of my friends and peers recently, I felt somewhat powerless and ineffectual in finding a way to personally try to help right the wrongs of the September 11th tragedy,†on this date in 2001.

Hispanic Magazine, Gigi Anders: “Luuu-cy! Fifty Years Later, America Still Loves Lucy and Ricky,†published in 2001.

The Sunday Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Staff: Lucy-Desi Acquisition Society Makes First Purchase -â€The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center has another important artifact from (“I Love Lucyâ€) to display at its new Rapaport Center. The Society, created to acquire significant artifacts in the show's creation, is responsible for acquiring the cello played by Lucille Ball in the pilot episode of (“I Love Lucyâ€) credited with helping present the most-popular show ever on television and offered this summer as part of a Hollywood memorabilia auction in Beverly Hills, after being left in the care of Biola University by the owners, the Jose Perez (Pepito The Clown) family, and recently 'uncovered' among the Estate contents,†published this date in 2005.

November 7

Ed Sedgwick, mentor and father figure, directed Lucille Ball early film-career MGM Easy To Wed, 1946, suggesting that MGM, and later, Columbia, star her in a major comedy vehicle; greatly assisted Lucille in “polishing' the Arnazes vaudeville tour, pre-(“I Love Lucyâ€); as well as a large directoral presence in (“I Love Lucyâ€) including the transformation of an idea Desi had to make a ninety-minute feature film of three half-hour episodes into one to experimentally release in Latin America and the U.S.; never released, is born this date in 1892.

Dean Jagger, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), co-star, It's A Great Life, 1935; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, RKO Radio, Having Wonderful Time, 1938, Valley of the Sun, 1942, as well as Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, 1954, is born this date in 1903.

Louis Nicoletti, Desi Arnaz' long-time friend - former Xavier Cugat secretary, leaves Cugat employment to join Arnaz Band, as manager, 1937; (“I Love Lucyâ€) waiter in 12 episodes, plus “Ricky's Screen Testâ€, 1954; Arnazes film - Long, Long Trailer, 1954; 2 episodes, I Love Lucy, 1955, 1956, 1957; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960; Desilu Productions' Guestward Ho!, 1961; The Untouchables, 1962; The Lucy Show, 1963, plus, is director or assistant director of 23 episodes; Lucy in Connecticut; The Sunday Lucy Show; The Top Ten Lucy Show; Desilu Productions' U.S. Marshal, (unknown year); Assistant Director, Lucille Ball film - Yours, Mine, Ours, 1968, is born this date in 1906.

Jackie Joseph, of The Doris Day Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Danny Thomas Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Hogan's Heroes, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., and Police Academy, fame; guest star, Desilu Studios-filmed, My Living Doll, 1964; That Girl, 2 episodes, 1966; Hogan's Heroes, 1966; as well as Lucille Ball co-star, A Guide for the Married Man, as Jane Brophy, is born this date in 1933.

Lucille Ball appears in RKO Radio's One Live Ghost, as Maxine, co-starring Leon Errol, released this date in 1936.

NY Journal-American: “Desi Arnaz with his orchestra, appears in nightclubs in the late 30's and early 40's, one of which is The Versailles,†published this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz is featured in an appearance with Enric Madriguera & Orchestra, NYC, NY, this date in 1947.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Becomes a Sculptress†- one of the 'baby' segments, is filmed this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Homecoming†– with veteran supporting co-stars, Barbara Pepper, as the neighbor, and Elvia Allman - the two couples are home; Ricky is treated like a celebrity; Lucy gets jealous - with veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Bennett Green, Desi Arnaz' stand-in, with Elizabeth Patterson, as Mrs. Trumbull; Charlotte Lawrence, Roy Schallert, airing this date in 1955.

Desilu Productions' Ed Hamilton, requested an immediate decision by another Executive of AEL. Executive Vice President Gehan gave approval to the proposal for the Constitution and set design Allison S. Graham, director of publicity (AEL), will oversee production on two (“I Love Lucyâ€)episodes, this date in 1955.

Victor McLaglen, Lucille Ball early movie co-star 1938, dies this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy Goes Duck Huntingâ€, guest co-starring Keith Andes, (Lucille's co-star in Wildcat), as her new boyfriend, who takes her duck hunting, with veteran supporting cast member, Alan Ray, airing this date in 1963.

Desilu Productions' Fractured Flickers, with veteran supporting cast member, Hans Conried, Host, (who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests) co-starring this segment, Diana Dors, and semi-regular Bill Scott, and Stan Laurel, via archival footage, which airs on this date in 1963.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs,†Bob O'Brien, Elroy Schwartz, writers - guest co-starring Carol Burnett, Lucy begs off work, once again, and goes to the desert with Carol for her performance at a golf event, with supporting cast members, Dino Natale and Atillo 'Tilio' Risso, airing this date in 1966.

LA Times, Paul Rosenfield: “Lucy on the Platter of Honor,†published this date in 1977.

George Mathews, guest star, Desilu Productions' The Untouchables, 1962; and Glynis, 12 episodes, as Chick Rogers, 1963, dies this date in 1984.

Washington Post, John Carnsdy: “The TV Column: Nielson Results for Stone Pillow,†published this date in 1985.

Lucille Ball guests on CBS half-hour Super Password, playing for the John Wayne Cancer Center charity, this date in 1988.

Jack Kelly, guest co-star Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1955, and Here's Hollywood, 1961, as well as The Lucy Show, 1964, dies this date in 1992.

Vero Beach (Florida) Press Journal, Bob Betcher: “Lucy Ball Lives on in Larush,†published this date in 2001.

Howard Keel, guest co-star, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1969, dies this date in 2004.

Lucy-Desi Museum News The Newsletter for Museum Members Vol. 6, Issue 2 Winter 2006 Wildcat Co.- Lucy-Desi News Briefs Bob O'Brien, comedy writer: Desilu Studios-filmed Make Room for Daddy, 3 episodes 1954-58; The Lucy Show, 1964; and co-writer, Lucille Ball film Fancy Pants. Tom Watson, Lucille Ball Fan Club President, salutes O'Brien: “Bob wrote Lucille's favorite episode, (Lucy & Dean Martin). O'Brien is also responsible for episodes of the (“Here's Lucyâ€) television series and one of the writers of the 1980 TV Special Lucy Moves to NBC, dies after a long illness this date in 2005.

November 8

June Havoc, many-year Arnazes and Luckinbill's close friend; Desi Arnaz' co-star in Four Jacks and a Jill, 1942; guest, Desilu Productions', Willy, as Wilma 'Willy' Dodger, 3 episodes, 1954; as well as The Untouchables, as Sally Kansas, 1960; is born this date in 1912.

Bob Schiller, writer, joined (“I Love Lucyâ€), with Bob Weiskopf, 50 episodes, during 1955-1957; during Madelyn Pugh and Bob Carroll, Jr., leaves of absence, took over writing chores for episodes of Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, including The Desilu Review, with 22 newcomers, 5 episodes; writer, Desilu Productions' Guestward Ho! (unknown episodes) 1960; then, back with Madelyn and Bob for The Lucy Show, for first two seasons of episodes, as himself; writer, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 13 episodes, 1957-1960; Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, 1993; (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary, 2001; Lucy: TVs Comedy Queen, 2003; The Desilu Story, 2003; writer, December Bride, 1954; (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show, 1956; Desilu Productions' The Ann Sothern Show, 1958, Guestward Ho!, 1960; The Lucy Show, 3 episodes, 1962-63; as well as Headliner Lucy’s Birthday Celebration, 2004, Jamestown, NY, is born this date in 1918.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears in the chorus of Music in the Air, by Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern, Alvin Theater, moved to the 44th Street Theatre, March 31, 1933, through September 16, 1933, 342 performances, co-starring Marjorie Main and Walter Slezak, beginning this date in 1932.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Universal Pictures', Sandy Gets Her Man, as Police Chief J. A. O'Hara, co-starring Jack Carson, Una Merkel, among many others, released on this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo, The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky's Movie Offer†- the 103rd episode, guest co-starring, long-time Lucy character co-stars, James Dobson, Frank Nelson and Elizabeth Patterson; with Jack Aldworth - first of 51 episodes, as Assistant Director - the first of many shows incorporating Madelyn and Bob's original ideas on the Hollywood trip concocted the previous February and further developed during the summer hiatus - a Hollywood talent scout coming to the house, the neighborhood schemes to get into the action, episode airs this date in 1954.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy Helps the Countessâ€, guest co-starring Ann Sothern, in real estate sales; Mooney is convinced to look at an apartment she represents; the three get locked in the apartment for the weekend; airing this date in 1965.

Dorothy Kilgallen, columnist, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz friend, dies this date in 1965.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears on The Match Game, this date in 1965.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) guest stars on CBS (“I've Got a Secretâ€), with Host, Garry Moore, on this date in 1965.

Wendell Corey, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Untouchables 1961, as well as Here's Hollywood 1962; dies this date in 1968.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and the Celebrities†- Lucy attempts to help Harry with a rival employment agency; Kim is dating Rich Little and he helps convince Harry she has several celebrities in line; also starring veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airing this date in 1971.

Lucille Ball discusses her new movie, “Stone Pillow†on LA's The George Putnam Radio Show this date in 1985.

Life With Lucy - “Lucy, Legal Eagleâ€, directed by Marc Daniels, Lucy takes a woman to court for price gouging, and airs this date in 1986.

NY Times: “ABC Drops Lucille Ball and Ellen Burstyn,†published this date in 1986.

Lucille Ball guests on CBS' half-hour Super Password, playing for the John Wayne Cancer Center charity, this date in 1988.

Desert Post Weekly (Palm Springs), Mona M. deCrinis: “We Loved Lucy: An Interview with Author Lee Tannen,†published this date in 2001.

November 3

William Lanteau, Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Facts of Life, 1960; Desilu Studios-filmed The Andy Griffith Show, 1960; Desilu Productions' The Bill Dana Show, 1963; guest star, Mr. & Mrs., 1964; guest, (The Lucy Show), 1967; guest, Desilu Productions' The Mothers-in-Law, 1968; Lucille's guest co-star (“Here's Lucy”) 1969; 1971; 1973; and Lucille-directed, Bungle Abbey, written by Seaman Jacobs, 1981; dies this date in 1993.

Aww, R.I.P. Spike. :(

Shirley Mitchell, veteran supporting cast member (“I Love Lucy”) 2 episodes, 1953, as well as Marion Strong, 1954; guest co-star, Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, 1957, Make Room For Daddy, 3 episodes, 1954-62, The Joey Bishop Show, 1962, Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse, 1963, E! True Hollywood Story, as herself, The Desilu Story, 2003, and (“I Love Lucy”), 2005; as well as with Lucille, among many other stars, via archival footage, You Know the Face, 2009, is born this date in 1919.

I can't believe Shirley is going to be 91. She had the personality and spirit of someone much younger when she was last in Jamestown. I hope she is well.

Archived