DVD Alert -- The Milton Berle Special (Lucy & Desi)

Brock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Wonder why this wasn't included with the Comedy Hour DVDs? Hopefully it will be for the Blu-ray re-release.

Well....that would certainly help make it "ultimate" wouldn't it?? ;)

I never knew this special existed, so it wasn't available to be released with the season sets?

Correct.  Milton Berle's series had ended four years earlier.  This special aired as part of an anthology series called Sunday Showcase.  This is one of only three segments of the Sunday Showcase series that featured Berle.  The three segments were "The Milton Berle Show," which aired on October 25, 1959 and featured Danny Thomas, Peter Lawford and Lana Turner; "A Tribute to Eleanor Roosevelt on Her Diamond Jubilee," which aired October 11, 1959 (Berle was one of numerous celebrities in the cast); and this one, called "The Milton Berle Special," which aired November 1, 1959, a little over a month following "Milton Berle Hides Out at the Ricardos."

http://ctva.biz/US/Anthology/SundayShowcase.htm

The Lucy Book - Fidelman, shows, on p. 142, the Jubilee as airing 10/7/1960...  can you verify your above date of 10/11/59??  Thanks if you can....JK

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread as I didn't know about this and just saw it on Amazon Prime streaming for free with our service. Desi looked haggard throughout and the loving Ricky Ricardo of old was replaced by the meaner version of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours. It was nice to see something "new" but somehow the magic isn't there for me in this one....

Resurrecting this old thread as I didn't know about this and just saw it on Amazon Prime streaming for free with our service. Desi looked haggard throughout and the loving Ricky Ricardo of old was replaced by the meaner version of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours. It was nice to see something "new" but somehow the magic isn't there for me in this one....

I believe this was 59'. He directed this special along with all his other duties. The pace just felt slow and both Lucy and Desi seemed tired.

Archived