Lucy Dates Dean Martin

"Lucy and Dean Martin" is California-era Lucy Show at its best. This was still in the period where Lucy could do ANYTHING. What other actress could do this episode, more along the lines of 'sophisticated comedy' AND in the same season carry off "Ironman Carmichael" among others? It's one of the things I like about the much-maligned 4th season of TLS. The season had some real duffers ("Rain Goddess" and "Superwoman" come to mind) , but I can't think of another that had such a RANGE.

Other than "Horse Guest" did she have this hair style in any other episodes?

I wonder WHO at CBS had such a strong opinion about her hairstyle. What difference did it make to them? These are the same people who were about to give the green light to "It's About Time"--maybe they should have paid more attention to Imogene Coca's hair.

Back then, and maybe even NOW, the head honchos at the networks have these SUITS who are always dictating what should or should not happen in a show, at least that's what i've always read, that it was CBS honchos who said NO DICE to the best hairstyle she ever wore on her shows.

Gary's attempts to edit this down for inclusion in 'CBS Salutes Lucy' failed to show the episodes off. You need to see the whole episode to appreciate Lucy's classic line "No wonder you sing better than he does!" But poor Bob and Madelyn on "Merv Griffin" had to sit through Lucy describing her 'favorite' episode, one that they did not write. That was Bob "Gorboona" O'Brien.

Ditto Gary's editing of "Burtons" for "Salutes". You can't blame Gary for including that one because it was his high-water mark as part of the 'team', but the pay-off scene doesn't stand on its own.

Speaking of "Salutes": it started out so great, but as it progressed there was more and more extended clips from guest star episodes from the later years--not that I minded, but the general public wanted to see more ILL, which were not always readily available for viewing in all markets in 1976. I personally love the chorus girl scene in "Danny Thomas", but a much better Lucy and Danny scene would have been the bedroom mistaken identity scene from "Comedy Hour".

So true and i too love the Danny showgirl scene, then again, i consider the CBS Salutes Lucy the first 25 years to be one of the all time best Lucy specials E V E R ! But i could have improved it also, some great scenes were missing and some duds showed up on there.

While I can see her being deferential to her network bosses -- to a point -- I seriously doubt the CBS brass had anything to do with her changing her wig back to the older look. I mean, for one thing, were they BLIND!?? Perhaps if anything, they commented it DID make her look a little too "glamorous" and therefore in a way, at odds with the scatterbrained -- more so every season she was around! -- character she was portraying. I have a hunch she simply didn't care for it as much as the other "look" and was probably a little more difficult to keep maintained throughout filming, too. Just hunches.

But I seriously doubt Lucille Ball at that juncture of her career was told to change her hairstyle and complied accordingly. Being the strong force she was, I bet it was her own idea, for whatever reason(s) which is in a way, a shame as I don't think she ever looked lovelier. peachonthebeach.JPG

Read the books, they say it was the CBS head honchos, Lucy was a Leo and we do not take criticism of any kind very well, maybe some idiot just voiced it and she overheard, maybe it was something like that, but your theory that it might have been too glamorous for a secretary might be the real answer.

I agree.... but if memory serves, most of those came later with Here's Lucy episodes -- I think he wrote most of the "let's put on a show" eps which are my least favorites. lucydisgust.JPG

He did, however, pen a few of my favorite Hollywood-based TLS eps, which is saying a lot as they're my least favorite seasons (as I much prefer the first two Danfield-based, written by the original writers with Viv seasons)....among them included is this Dean Martin ep, plus the hysterical ep guesting Ruta Lee as the scheming temp secretary who wants to take LC's place when she's off to Lake Arrowhead, prompting Lucy to stick around the office, arriving in one hilarious get-up after another -- her mad, mod decorator character is an all-time favorite! -- and for sentimental reasons, one of BO'B's best, Main Street USA (Part One), with the wonderful Mel Torme and Paul Winchell guesting. If they had to do a practically all-musical number show, that was the way to do 'em! Classic!

biggrin.gif

Yeah, it will be great to finally have everybody see main Street USA PART ONE, espcially since part DEUX is among the private domain ones and everybody found it odd that part one was never included in those cheap Lucy show dvd's.

Yeah, it will be great to finally have everybody see main Street USA PART ONE, espcially since part DEUX is among the private domain ones and everybody found it odd that part one was never included in those cheap Lucy show dvd's.

It's actually the other way around. The first part "Main Street USA" is in the public domain, but the second "Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map," is strangely the only episode of the season not in the public domain.

It's actually the other way around. The first part "Main Street USA" is in the public domain, but the second "Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map," is strangely the only episode of the season not in the public domain.

You know, as i was typing that, i got that Carmichael feeling that i was screwing it up, thanks for straightening me out, i am so friggin O L D ! I'm surprised i haven't forgotten everything i knew about Lucy Lawless and her 500 shows.

Read the books, they say it was the CBS head honchos, Lucy was a Leo and we do not take criticism of any kind very well, maybe some idiot just voiced it and she overheard, maybe it was something like that, but your theory that it might have been too glamorous for a secretary might be the real answer.

I've read all the books but I don't remember all the minutiae like you do, Cookie! blink.gif

Besides, even if it is covered in a book about her I wouldn't take it as "gospel". I've learned that a lot of what's been written isn't always the way it was or, probably more accurately, it may have been that writer's angle on it but it doesn't mean it's always the entire story.

I stand by my theory that it was more than likely, for whatever reason(s) or outside influences, it was ultimately her decision to revert back to what was "comfortable"....probably not the first (or last) example of that sort of behavior either, the older she got.... and there, she's hardly unique, right? wacko.gif

I've read all the books but I don't remember all the minutiae like you do, Cookie! blink.gif

Besides, even if it is covered in a book about her I wouldn't take it as "gospel". I've learned that a lot of what's been written isn't always the way it was or, probably more accurately, it may have been that writer's angle on it but it doesn't mean it's always the entire story.

I stand by my theory that it was more than likely, for whatever reason(s) or outside influences, it was ultimately her decision to revert back to what was "comfortable"....probably not the first (or last) example of that sort of behavior either, the older she got.... and there, she's hardly unique, right? wacko.gif

That last part is where we disagree, it couldn't have been HER decision as the woman knew that longer wig made her look sensational so she would never have given it up on her own.

That last part is where we disagree, it couldn't have been HER decision as the woman knew that longer wig made her look sensational so she would never have given it up on her own.

Perhaps, but we'll never know for sure. Wish Irma were still around to ask -- I'm sure they discussed it, however briefly. And Irma was not one to hold back on her opinion, especially if asked. marionstrong.gif

Irma is quoting in The Lucy Book as saying she thinks someone from the network said they didn't like it, so Lucy went back to her old hair style. Lucy hated change, so maybe it didn't take much convincing. Irma also said that the sponsors didn't like Lucy's less formal bun hairdo in some of the Connecticutt I Love Lucy shows, so they went back to the old way.

Irma is quoting in The Lucy Book as saying she thinks someone from the network said they didn't like it, so Lucy went back to her old hair style. Lucy hated change, so maybe it didn't take much convincing. Irma also said that the sponsors didn't like Lucy's less formal bun hairdo in some of the Connecticutt I Love Lucy shows, so they went back to the old way.

Well, that's the thing, when your hairdo becomes sort of like your trademark, it's hard to give up. Imagine if Rachel on Friends had suddenly gotten an afro instead of her Rachel "do", LOL!

I've never seen this pose from that photo shoot before. This is instantly one of my favorite photos of Lucy now. Thanks!

Yeah, that looks like her own hair, it does not appear to be a wig. There's this photo shoot AT HOME that had several great shots of her like this one, i wonder if they are from the same SHOOT.

I always adored her with longer hair. In Australia now they are just finishing up Here's Lucy Season 5 and I loved her hair in that season! It really suits her, short hair didn't suit her, it aged her.

Balderdash, she had very short hair on the first season of Here's Lucy and she looked much younger. I agree though that it did not look as good on her in the Lucy Desi comedy hours when she cut it shorter.

Balderdash, she had very short hair on the first season of Here's Lucy and she looked much younger. I agree though that it did not look as good on her in the Lucy Desi comedy hours when she cut it shorter.

That's because she was younger in the first season ;-) But as she grew older longer hair was more flattering on her than shorter hair.

Archived