The Ranch

Luvsbway

I've been coming across a lot of photos of the Chatsworth ranch and have been trying to figure out a layout.  Some of these photos i posted before but wanted to do a thread where I could put some together.

I've been trying to figure out the layout of some rooms.  I came across a few bedroom photos so for this post I'll do that.

My best guess based on this photo is that the bedroom may be on the right side of this photo off camera range.

77.jpeg

80.jpg

This set of windows would run along the back.  Also I noticed in this pic a few things.  In the other corner (reflected in the mirror) is a photo on the wall.  I think it may be Lucy.  Second the mirrors look to be closet doors.  What is interesting is the bedroom dosn't look all that large when you put these photos together to try and figure out all 4 walls.

81.jpg

needle.jpg

This photo has the same mirror looking closet doors but based on the reflection and how the furniture is laid out might be a different room.

dust.jpg

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arnazes are standing in their backyard, facing south... The bedroom was, indeed, to  our right (their left), but on the opposite side of the house, facing north... The room immediately back of them was a sunporch type of room that Desi added in the late 1940s...

Tjw

The Arnazes are standing in their backyard, facing south... The bedroom was, indeed, to our right (their left), but on the opposite side of the house, facing north... The room immediately back of them was a sunporch type of room that Desi added in the late 1940s...

Tjw

Thank you for that information! :D

I think the nice word is homey. I could not live with that wall paper. I also notice a large amount of nick necks which I also hate. What makes it all ok is that you know she 100% decorated it.

Wasn't it reported that the colors of the bedroom were yellow and gray? She seemed to love yellow.

I think, yes, for it's TIME, it was what was in fashion back then.  It was a small comfortable house, sort of like her Ogden Street digs, a little bit more opulent here and there, love the mirrors in the bathroom.  Hate Early American furniture, but here, it looks ok, sort of like her last I Love Lucy set in the country.  I too hate wallpaper, the bed needs a huge painting behind it instead of a small picture which looks lost.  The only time Lucy lived in a fancy well decorated place was her New York apartment, by Paula Stewart, which was featured in Architectural Digest.  Wish Paula had done her Roxbury digs over, but then, everybody on that street was stuck in the fifties as far as décor was concerned.

I agree that there was too much empty space over the bed.  I have noticed a change on that wall though.  In the Yapp book there is a similar photo of her sitting on the bed.  Similarities I noticed are same bed spread and dust ruffle.  Same nightstands and lamps.  There are 2 nice additions though.  There is now a big chest at the foot of the bed.  It’s on the simpler side but very classy looking.  If you have the room I always think you need something like that at the foot of the bed if you don’t have a footboard.

Second the space over the bed is taken up with 3 shelf units spaced over the bed.  I think the problem with doing a painting is dealing with the wallpaper.  I have wallpaper in my kitchen (not my choice) and I had to be selective in what photos I hung there as it can really get distracting with wallpaper.

The photo above of her on the bed seems to be early 40s, where the Yapp book photo I think is more around 1948 based on the length and style of her hair.  

So now that we know the sunroom was an add on the following photos are what I'm thinking was the original porch.

78.jpg

79.jpg

dog8.jpg

dog12.jpg

Once the porch was completed I'm thinking this is from inside it.  If you look at the all over shot you can sort of make out these chairs and the same type of window. 

chairs.jpg

large640.jpg

Yes, this lattice arbor type structure was in the backyard...

It pains me to know that this whole place was torn down, the house bulldozed, to make room for a new tract of "modern" housing...

The Arnaz property sat right next to that of Bill Henry, who wrote for the LA Times. Even though the Henry property was bought by the same developers as the Arnaz property, and at the same time, the Henry house was saved and incorporated into the new housing development, but the Arnaz home was not situated in exactly the right place, so they tore it down... The Henry house is still standing today, altho I believe it has been remodeled over the years...

Very sad...

tjw

Annaleigh I agree with you.

Now on to some other parts of the backyard.  I'm leaving the pool for it's own post.

The BBQ

700.jpg

Look how the tress filled in from the top shot to this one below.

bre.jpg

Garden/Farm areas

820.jpg

887.jpg

001.jpg

chicken.jpg

hay.jpg

hoe.jpg

Is this a pig?

4000.jpg

Npt sure what the building is in the background

guo1.jpg