The Top of The Line:I Love Lucy

I was looking at ILL:"In Palm Springs" this morning and was listening to the Edell Slift story lol and one of my favorite lines came up, one of my most favorite from the entire show!

"if you really love some one, you shouldn't let a lil' (whistle) come between you" 

the essence of Lucy right there lol 

This reminds me of one of the best lines of season 1 "Since we've said I do, theres so many things we don't"

Are there any lines in I Love Lucy that any one else finds as BRILLIANT bits of writing on the writers part? 

I always think of the line where she explains a pretext to Ricky. 

In the same vein as those first 2 lines you mention Henry are these 2 that I think also help sum up the characters.

Return Home From Europe- “Being married to you isn’t easy, but it sure is a lot of fun”.

The Tour- “Some people have financial problems.  Some have health problems.  Well there’s my problem.  But I love her.”

OH I'M GONNA NEED MORE THAN TEN MINUTES FOR THAT!  And FRED HAS TIMED EVERYTHING SO HE CAN DO IT IN TWO MINUTES or words to that effect are two of my favorites.

I LOVE her expression on Im gonna need more than ten minutes for that. its such a vague look, yet its so distinct! She could be talking about ANYTHING, yet her face says she's only talking about ONE thing lol  and whatever that is, is up to the viewer lol

Its sooooo hilarious when Ethel says her line and the audience slowly gets the alternative meaning lol 

In the same vein as those first 2 lines you mention Henry are these 2 that I think also help sum up the characters.

Return Home From Europe- “Being married to you isn’t easy, but it sure is a lot of fun”.

The Tour- “Some people have financial problems.  Some have health problems.  Well there’s my problem.  But I love her.”

YES!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE!!!

oH Especially the being married to you line. It does sum up their relationship on the show so well, and as one of the writers said, 

the show was a love match. People watched it and identified and tried to emulate that ability to love, no matter what. 

I love the story of the guy who wrote to Desi and said, "I was about to leave my wife, and then I watched I love Lucy" lol 

Its lines like the ones you mentioned that make the show so, soooo, sooooooo, ugh! WUNDAFUL!!! lol 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

"No, I just implied that she was a little hippy... though she has got the biggest potamus I've ever seen." - Lucy

"Happy Birthday, Ethel Mertz and I hope you live another 75 years!" - Lucy

Too funny.

More:

"Butter? On bread? I'll never get used to your crazy Cuban dishes." - Lucy

"Marion, stop cackling. I've been waiting ten years for you to lay that egg." - Lucy

"I may not be able to understand what you say when you say it, but before you say it, I can understand what you're going to say perfectly!" - Lucy

"I'm glad you asked that. We rope, we brand, we butcher. We do everything but eat it for you. Seventy-nine cents a pound." - Lucy

"Ricky, I'd like you to meet my second first husband." - Lucy

"I got a Mickey from Ricky." - Lucy

"He's put his foot down so many times, I feel like I'm married to a cuban centipede." - Lucy

"We are not nuzzy!" - Lucy

"Something's wrong with the gas. My chicken isn't working." - Lucy

"He's baba'd his last lu!" - Lucy

"Eeeewwwww." - Lucy

"I’m sticky over Ricky" - Lucy

"Ohhh, I'm gonna need more than 15 minutes for THAT!" - Lucy

"How can you stand there in the middle of this mess and utter those four horrible words: "I've got an idea?" - Ethel

"All Fred's taste is in his mouth." - Ethel

"Common sense has nothing to do with it. When I say he's wrong, he's wrong." - Ethel

"I'm sorry your mother looks like a weasel." - Ethel

"Hey Lucy, the chickens are talking about Fred. They're saying 'cheep, cheep, cheep'." - Ethel

"I shall now contact Tilly! Ethel to Tilly, Ethel to Tilly. Come in, Tilly. Over." - Ethel

"I'm not saying, but you can bet on it in the afternoon and eat it at night!" - Ethel

"I could have been in a nice, quiet apartment in New York. No, I had to move to Connecticut, so I could be near you." - Ethel

"It's times like this I wish I kept a diary, so I can write in it, 'Dear Diary: Tonight I felt through wet cement." - Ethel
"Who's that? WHAT'S that?" - Fred

"And I'm sorry you're so fat you sat on my glasses and broke 'em." - Fred

"Crazy for Lucy, or crazy for ordinary people?" - Fred

"I got a song for you. "Let's Bamboozl-o to El Freezo" - Fred

"Ethel, if you were meant to have a fur coat, you'd have been BORN with one!" - Fred
"I need a copy of the marriage license for Lucille MacGillicudy; what? M-A-C, ah Gillicudy. Right and Ricardo Ricardo y Acha. Acha, Acha; thank you, but I wasn't sneezing." - Ricky

"I am not the father of that cheese!" - Ricky
"As I recall, it was till death do us part. That event is about to take place right now!" - Ricky

"That's the reason I married you - because you're so different than anyone I've known in Cuba." - Ricky

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky

"This whole thing is my fault. Something I said that started this whole mess..."I do"." - Ricky

"Okay, Unique if it's a boy and Euphonious if it's a girl" - Ricky

"WHA HOPPENED?!?!?!?!?" - Ricky

"My Mrs. Ricardo your temper is as hot as your red hair" - Mrs. Trumble.

"Wait a minute. You mean to tell me you've been married to her for fifteen years? And they call me Superman! - George Reeves (as Superman)

Archived