The New Favourite Lucy Photos Thread (Vol. 4)

Brock

20244.jpg

20245.jpg

20256.jpg

31675.jpg

These look like the unused poses from the Life Magazine article that focused on TV.  Lucy made the cover, probably the last time she did on a major magazine, except TV Guide.  It came out August or September of 1971.  The title of the article devoted to Lucy was something like "The Star That Never Sets" and started off by telling of the author's 11 year old niece Sally who would, if she could, watch Lucy 24 hours a day.  She likes all the series including Here's Lucy which was about to start its 4th season, but Sally prefers the originals.   Here's Lucy had been the #1 sitcom the previous season and had 3 more seasons to go at the time of this publication. 

I remember this quote (which I'm paraphrasing) "newly 60, Lucy could be Sally's GREAT-GRANDMOTHER" (caps mine)."

Well, only if Lucy, her daughter and her grand-daughter all had children when they were 16. 

I'm assuming the Life "Lucy at 100" pictorial book idea has been dropped.  I'll probably reach 100 before I see it.

Neil...damn close. This photo shoot was for LOOK magazine of September 7, 1971. Cover story (with Lucy in the TV)..."TV: Turn-on or Turn-off?" These amazing shots were done by the one and only Douglas Kirkland, who is still around and one of the nicest men you can meet. A true hero of mine. (He's shot just about everyone in Hollywood and probably most famous for the Marilyn shots in the white sheets in bed, done in 1961.)  He's done several books over the years and this is what he had to say about working with Lucy, in his book "Light Years":

Everyone loved carrot-haired, cross-eyed, loud-mouthed Lucy. But we often refuse to see funny women as glamorous. Or to see intelligent, powerful maternal women as glamorous. And sometimes women feel that they have to abide by the distinctions. Stick to type. Lucy was all of those things: funny, intelligent, powerful, maternal...and glamorous. I wanted the portrait (SHOWN BELOW) to project that glamour. And it did, without much help from me. Sitting for me in the natural light of her living room, Lucille Ball was an ageless beauty, radiant in her self-esteem.

Later on, we went down to the rec room where she clowned for me. (This is about the photo shoot against the blue backdrop) She jumped and screamed with wide-eyed innocence and endless energy. I loved both Lucys, especially the quiet one.

IMG_0169.JPG

• Like 1

Amazing information on these.  Now that I know this top photo was in the living room, the house layout is starting to come back to me.

Also I never would have guessed the blue background shoot was done at her house.  But it's not hard to set up a backdrop and some lights.  Got the same set up in my basement.

Thanks again for this wonderful information on these 2 great shoots.

• Like 1

Amazing information on these.  Now that I know this top photo was in the living room, the house layout is starting to come back to me.

Also I never would have guessed the blue background shoot was done at her house.  But it's not hard to set up a backdrop and some lights.  Got the same set up in my basement.

Thanks again for this wonderful information on these 2 great shoots.

Yes, the caftan shot was done in the living room, you can see the front door in the distance.

Kirkland is responsible for this one too...one my all-time favorite shots, done in the backyard.

IMG_0170.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, the caftan shot was done in the living room, you can see the front door in the distance.

Kirkland is responsible for this one too...one my all-time favorite shots, done in the backyard.

IMG_0170.JPG

Front door, really?  I can see the chandelier from the entrance hall, but the stairs, seen also in the background, seem to screw up the setting, from the front door, you could see the stairs going up in the back, you know that famous shot of her in the red dress with her kids and gary.  In THIS shot, i thought the front door would be to the right of her and i guess that would put her in the den but the den was actually a lot better looking room that this.  I'm totally confused by this shot, which i've seen before, and i agree she looks just lovely here and in those up against the blue background she looks thirty years younger.

IMG_0170.JPG

Oh yeah, this one IS from LOOK all right, one of her all time best interviews, she speaks so calmly about her life and is quite frank, as usual about everything.

LOVE pensive shots such as this. Cool too to be able to see a different angle of the house/entrance/staircase. :lucydesi:

First of all, not that i want to disagree with someone as knowledgeable as Rickee, but if that's the FRONT door in the background, we see glass and there was no glass in the front door, side door maybe?