1986-1989

Annaleigh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All she said one time was for Lucie to get rid of the bric a brac in her home as the kids would break them all.  Lucie said no but the next time Lucy visited, they were all gone, LOL!  I like the way these people, Carole Cook, Lee Tannen et al always know everything she did, but were almost never with her that much.

I loved BOTH books at the time, although Jim shows horrible pics of her and got stories out of her or opinions she thought were safe but he wrote the book right after she died and took advantage of her.  Lee wanted to be around the most famous woman in show biz, as we all would, but he too got some facts wrong and offered some strange opinions at times.  Including getting her so upset with that tirade he had in a limo with her and Paula where they were estranged for over a year.

I loved BOTH books at the time, although Jim shows horrible pics of her and got stories out of her or opinions she thought were safe but he wrote the book right after she died and took advantage of her. Lee wanted to be around the most famous woman in show biz, as we all would, but he too got some facts wrong and offered some strange opinions at times. Including getting her so upset with that tirade he had in a limo with her and Paula where they were estranged for over a year.

THAT is exactly why Lee bothers me. Who the hell cares if Paula's stuff was in the way....This is LUCILLE BALL for for god's sake. Do you know how many people would be GRATEFUL to be inconvienenced by Lucille Ball's friend?!???!?? Hmmmph...he should be THANKFUL he was allowed near her circle.... Wheww...kinda lost control there...okay...coming back down to reality...

I just think Lee is a bitchy queen...like that comment... Which Roosevelt?? Franklin or Teddy?? I would have.slapped the WHITE off his face if I were her...did he think he was talkin to a Drag Queen at a local gay bar? Ungrateful SHIT!!

:)

Lee really does paint the picture that she didn’t like them. I think she was just overly cautious in their care. She talked about them a lot on talk shows in the 80s and even though she may have called them cocky on that one Joan Rivers show she didn’t dislike them. The backstory of the pool video has her wanting to take care of Simon while Lucie was off shooting a movie. It’s not like the kid was dumped on her for babysitting. I don’t think she was much different with the grandkids then she was with her own kids at that age but Lee was not around to see that so his observation comes off as cold. Aren’t there the stories that to get back at her mom about something Lucie would withhold the grandkids from visiting and it really upset Lucy? Just as she was a controlling parent she probably was a controlling grandparent. That goes back to her mother telling her not to let them get everything they want and they need to have boundaries set. I think Lucy was just trying to impart some of this logic to her daughter, flawed though it may be.

Not flawed at all.  Lucy's own mother was there to tell Lucy, no, don't let them do that, it's called discipline.  Lucy had two Hollywood spoiled brats who got everything they ever wanted, so she gave them a small allowance and brought them up strictly, but later admitted THEY COULD WRAP HER AROUND THEIR LITTLE FINGERS.  I forget who said that Lucy's children were very well brought up (considering they were Hollywood kids).  You're right Shel, Lucy nauseated us with every detail of their lives, she adored those kids, and of course, she wished the same of her grandkids, but Lucie's the one who brought them up, spent more time with them as she felt so deprived herself as a child.  AND WE ALL SAW HOW WELL BEHAVED THEY ARE IN THE HOME MOVIES EXTRAS, sheesh!  Seems her mom got them during the school year, but Desi got them during the summer months, being able to do anything he wanted with them as he was not working, Lucy was, and I have to say she mostly succeeded.  Remember now that people keep saying the reason Lucy and Lucie had a tough times getting along sometimes was because they are so much alike.  And Lucy did not call her three grandchildren cocky, she said one of them was cocky, let's not forget how young they were when Lucy passed away.  Lee is friends with Lucie, she's his one connection to somebody famous, she even did the foreword I think, so he was ON HER SIDE, Lucy bad, Lucie great.  I agree with everything you said IRENE CAMPEN TRIP, thanks for saying it, people around here are sick of hearing it from me.  I repeat, hopefully for the last time, that LEE WAS NOT THERE WITH THEM EVERY TIME THEY WERE TOGETHER, LUCY AND HER KIDS AND GRANDKIDS, so, like Carole Cook, he is no authority on the subject.  Notice that the two who made those nasty comments were friends with Lucie, so she could unload on them and they could listen and feel they were helping soothe all those emotional scars of hers.  LOL! 

I'd like to know if Lucy ever did figure out or was told that Joe's middle name is after Fonda and not her dad. I don't think Lucy would have been upset. She did do 2 of her best movie's with Henry.

Lucie did say in interviews at the time that the name came from Henry Fonda, so I assume Lucy did eventually know.

A note on the tribute thing:

In 1990 she got a posthumous governer's award at the Emmys. It was presented by Bob Hope and accepted by the always lovely Gary Morton. :peachonthebeach:  In his speech I believe he said something like "She's with the person she truly was meant to be with", referring to Desi. :lucy1:  :desi1:

A note on the tribute thing:

In 1990 she got a posthumous governer's award at the Emmys. It was presented by Bob Hope and accepted by the always lovely Gary Morton. :peachonthebeach: In his speech I believe he said something like "She's with the person she truly was meant to be with", referring to Desi. :lucy1::desi1:

Well yes, I believe that is the only tribute on a major award show that year. But that's much more than a tribute, she got an award. Which I'm sure she would've gotten whether passed away or alive.

The Governor's award at the Emmys is THE most prestigious award they can give, so they waited to give it to her after she had passed away thinking that was the best tribute they could possibly give the woman.  The woman who defined their industry.  As for YOU Fred, I don't think gary mentioned Desi in any way in his acceptance speech for that award, he spoke well, but never would he give Desi the credit he was due for being a genius when compared to him.

The Governor's award at the Emmys is THE most prestigious award they can give, so they waited to give it to her after she had passed away thinking that was the best tribute they could possibly give the woman. The woman who defined their industry. As for YOU Fred, I don't think gary mentioned Desi in any way in his acceptance speech for that award, he spoke well, but never would he give Desi the credit he was due for being a genius when compared to him.

That's the one!

Thanks Claude:)

Well, I have his Emmy speech as I recorded that part of the show so I knew it well.  It was  a very good speech, although I would have preferred the kids accepting on her behalf.

It was on YouTube. I'll have to look for it tonight. I did love Lucie and Desi Jr's acceptance of the Legacy of Laughter award. Finally gave their father credit. Which I'm sure if Lucy was here she would have done, now.

Archived