In todays Post Journal

Torontoians, please take special attention to today's Post-Journal addition to the chronology:

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “About 100 photographs, movie posters and other items mirroring the career of Lucille Ball could be seen at the Fenton Historical Center in Jamestown May 15-27, to coincide with Miss Ball's visit to the City, set for May 18-21. The display of Ball memorabilia was only a small portion of a collection kept by Sandra Hosking of Toronto. Ms. Hosking said she began her collection because she was attracted to Lucille's on-screen character and because the program was also fun and entertaining,” published for this date in 2014.

If any of you Canadians know of this person; can locate, through e-mail; snail mail; or phone book, please let me know - would LOVE to interview her via whatever method she suggests.  I'm praying someone knows this (hopefully, a girl 25-years-ago; AND, still alive; and wouldn't it be great if she is a member of this Lounge???)  I could call the Fenton; but, that would be too easy....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torontoians, please take special attention to today's Post-Journal addition to the chronology:

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “About 100 photographs, movie posters and other items mirroring the career of Lucille Ball could be seen at the Fenton Historical Center in Jamestown May 15-27, to coincide with Miss Ball's visit to the City, set for May 18-21. The display of Ball memorabilia was only a small portion of a collection kept by Sandra Hosking of Toronto. Ms. Hosking said she began her collection because she was attracted to Lucille's on-screen character and because the program was also fun and entertaining,” published for this date in 2014.

If any of you Canadians know of this person; can locate, through e-mail; snail mail; or phone book, please let me know - would LOVE to interview her via whatever method she suggests.  I'm praying someone knows this (hopefully, a girl 25-years-ago; AND, still alive; and wouldn't it be great if she is a member of this Lounge???)  I could call the Fenton; but, that would be too easy....

I have actually met her a few times -- and she has been to some of the Jamestown festivals as well. Not sure if I have her contact info, but will check.

(This does nothing to beat down the perception that all Canadians know each other. :marionstrong: )

I have actually met her a few times -- and she has been to some of the Jamestown festivals as well. Not sure if I have her contact info, but will check.

(This does nothing to beat down the perception that all Canadians know each other. :marionstrong: )

I had a 'HUNCH' 'someone' might have a clue....there's always hope; see - my feeling wasn't GAS!!!!!  (for once!)  Loving you, JK

Added to the chronology this date:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - City Takes Lead Agency Status for Park Project, by Dennis Phillips - “One of the next steps for the planned Gateway Park behind the Jamestown Gateway Train Station is the environmental impact assessment. Gateway Park will be part of the proposed National Comedy Center being planned for West Second Street where the Jamestown Gateway Train Station and a BPU substation are currently located. The Gateway Park is an outdoor plaza area behind the train station that will include landscaping improvements and a secure railroad crossing that will connect to the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk, along the Chadakoin River. Primary funding for the Gateway Park phase of the National Comedy Center development is being provided by the Gebbie Foundation and the Oishei Foundation. published for this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “In 1989, Lucille Ball, recognized as one of the world's great comedic talents, was determined to fight her way back to good health after emergency heart surgery so she could return to her hometown. Nelson Garifi, director of community relations, Jamestown Community College, said he received a call from Lucille's office the previous evening, just before she went into surgery. 'She wanted us to know she was going to get through this thing and get through it well,' Garifi said. Latest reports listed her in guarded condition after seven hours of emergency high-risk cardiac surgery. Although Lucille would not be able to visit Jamestown to receive her honorary degree from the college, all events originally planned to honor the 77-year-old actress would be rescheduled. 'She still plans to come here,' Garifi said,” published for this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “Jamestown residents will have a chance to join in a community-wide 'get-well' greeting to Lucille Ball. She underwent emergency heart surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles. 'We want to wish Lucille most sincere best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery,' said Jamestown Mayor, Steven B. Carlson. 'Our thoughts and prayers are with her.' Carlson said welcoming banners had been prepared for her visit in May. 'I am asking the community to join me in sending our best wishes and greetings to Lucille by signing one of these banners,' he said. Carlson said both JCC and City Hall officials 'are delighted with Miss Ball's obvious strong desire to come back to Jamestown.' Two major ceremonies had been planned: the awarding of an honorary doctorate at JCC and a public tribute at City Hall,” published for this date in 2014.

Braindead yesterday - Here's what Post-Journal had yesterday - 4/20/14 - Our Easter Sunday - sunny and chilly in the northeast of America: 

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “In 1989, thousands of Jamestown area residents were sending get-well wishes by signing their names to banners that would be sent to the actress Friday afternoon. The red paper banners, imprinted with 'Jamestown Loves Lucy' were to have been plastered all over town to welcome one of the world's most brilliant and original funny ladies. But, because of Lucille's emergency surgery Tuesday evening, her visit has been postponed. The banners would be signed and sent to her as a community get-well card,” published for this date in 2014.

AND.... today:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “Lucille Ball was able to climb out of bed just two days after undergoing seven hours of emergency heart surgery, and had her condition upgraded from critical to serious, hospital officials said.  'She's really doing well,' spokesman Ron Wise of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center said.  'She sat up in a chair for a short time.'  With Miss Ball in the  hopsital, Jamestown had become the focus of national attention.  'We've heard from media all over the United States and Canada,' Nelson Garifi, community relations director at Jamestown Community College, told The Post-Journal.  'They have been asking about local reaction and plans for a future visit.'" published for this date in 2014. 

All of these posts are very interesting but sad knowing she would never make it.

I know . . . seems like I'm here waiting word of her death; KNOWING it's 5 days away!!!!  Scary; but, not nearly as SCARY as her appearing in my dreams three times in a cuppla weeks - years ago, when I had just begun the work on the chronolgy!!!!  Now, that is SCARY....  JK

Today's P-J entry from 25 years ago:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “More than 10,000 signatures of Jamestown area residents were winging their way to Lucille Ball. Written on more than 150 red and white 'Jamestown Loves Lucy' banners, the signatures were collected over the past three days. 'This is pretty impressive,' said Nelson Garifi, community relations director at Jamestown Community College. The number of people who signed the banners is slightly more than 25 percent of the population of the Jamestown area. 'This can't happen in just any community. It happens only where people work together,' Garifi said." published for this date in 2014.

One more day of 'positive' feedback from Lucille's battle:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “Comedian Lucille Ball's first words to her daughter after the past week's emergency heart surgery were about her hairdresser's appointment, actress, Lucie Arnaz said. 'I went to mom's bedside where she was all tied to tubes and things and I told her, 'Hello, mom, I love you,' Arnaz told 150 people at the Beverly Hills Hotel for the Eastman Kodak Second Century Award ceremony. 'She mumbled something under the oxygen mask; but, I couldn't hear her. Finally, I asked the nurse if I could lift the mask a little to hear what she was saying. So, I did and mom said, 'Wouldn't you know, this is the day I was going to get my hair done,'" published for this date in 2014.

From today's Post-Journal - Jamestown Trivia, by Karen E. Livsey, archivist - "The Jamestown Centennial set of question and answer cards for use with the popular Trivial Pursuit game.  These questions and answers were connected to Jamestown history, both early history and the history of the 1980s.  A tidbit of Lucille Ball's life in Jamestown was included with the question:  'What was the name of the cigar store where Lucille Ball worked?'  The answer to that was Duffy's.  Looking in the city directories, we find that Duffy's News Room was located at 201 W. Third St., during the 1920s and gone by 1934," published for this date in 2014.

April 26, 1989 - April 26, 2014:

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “In 1989, Lucille Ball, the zany redhead born in Jamestown, who reigned for more than 20 years as the queen of television comedy, dies this day, a week after undergoing emergency heart surgery. She was 77. The excitable star of ('I Love Lucy') and similar situation comedies that continued in syndication around the world, died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles where she underwent surgery to replace her aorta and aortic valve April 18. 'The death occurred suddenly and without warning. She experienced full cardiac arrest. Her response to surgery over a week ago was excellent and she had been improving constantly,' said hospital spokesman, Ronald Wise. 'Lucille Ball is the greatest woman clown in the world,' fellow comedian, Milton Berle once said. 'In fact, she is one of the great clowns of all time, male or female.' Lucy was always so full of life that her death seemed a double loss. Pauline Lopus of Celoron, a life-long friend of Ms. Ball's, said she was shocked by the news of Lucy's death. 'It's a terrible shock because the news had been quite encouraging. She just seemed so full of life. It seemed like Lucy would just go on forever,' Lopus said. Jamestown Mayor, Steven B. Carlson, said he was deeply saddened by the news. 'My sincere sympathies are extended to her husband and family and to all her many friends,' Carlson said. He said many Jamestowners had been looking forward to Lucy's visit this summer 'as we honored her for her many great achievements,'” published for this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Readers' Forum [partially copied] - Remembering Lucy - by Barbara Irvin - "Every year around this time, I start thinking about Lucy. I think this is because April is so close as I write this, and April 26 marks the anniversary of her death. This was also around the time I became a fan of hers. It was 1996 and I was 13 years old. Yours, Mine and Ours was on tv and found myself totally engrossed - had never watched anything she was in before that time. I only vaguely recall 'I Love Lucy'; but, not in great detail. After the film, I took every opportunity to watch as many shows and films as I could. When her memoir was published, I read that, as well. I've collected many books about her - my favorite 'I Loved Lucy: My Friendship with Lucille Ball' and enjoyed the 'private side of Lucille Ball in her later years'. It's hard to believe all these years have passed since she died, feeling no one admired her the way they once had. She sure would be surprised to learn she is still just as adored, if not more, by millions. I don't think there is a person out there who does not love 'Lucy'", published this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal Jamestown, NY - Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “In 1989, an outpouring of sympathy from presidents to childhood neighbors followed the death of Lucille Ball; but, many said the queen mother of comedy would live on through television re-runs and her influence on comedy. The daffy, redheaded comedian whose harebrained schemes drove her tv family crazy and delighted viewers for four decades, died the previous day of a ruptured abdominal artery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, eight days after emergency heart surgery. A private burial was planned. 'God has her now and thanks to tv, we'll have her forever,' said comedian and longtime friend, Bob Hope," published for this date in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Added this date:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Region - Live From Jamestown - 'Late Night At Lucy Comedy Fest' now available - “The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy has released its first comedy album; recorded during the 2013 Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, and available on iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Sound-Cloud and anywhere comedy content is sold; in addition to the Center,” published this date in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not mentioned frequently, Lucille Ball Little Theatre, 18 E. Second Street, Jamestown NY, Lucille Ball is forever part of the historical Jamestown site.  This morning, I'm adding another piece of history to the chronology [partially reproduced article]:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Family - On With The Show - Little Theatre Carrying on Lengthy Tradition, by Dennis Phillips - "Thespians, volunteers and lovers of the arts will be carrying-on a Jamestown tradition tonight that has been ongoing for 95 years.  The Lucille Ball Little Theatre, 18 E. Second Street, [research:  formerly Shea's Theater]  has been in operation since 1936; but, the tradition of a community theater started long before.  In 1919, Madelyn Jones Osgood founded The Players Club, which then became a family affair with her mother participating, as well.  The Players Club performed in schools, private homes, hospitals, churches, community clubs, theaters, Chautauqua's Norton Hall, and at outdoor functions.  In 1929, Osgood cast a young girl named Lucille Ball, in a play called 'Within The Law'.  It was Ball's first stage experience outside of school.  It was also the start of Ball's lifelong relationship with the Little Theatre.  In 1968, Ball sent $5,000 to help with the theater's move to Second Street..  In 1936, a vote of area residents submitted suggestions to re-name the community theater, The Players Club, to become known as the Little Theatre of Jamestown, established as a non-profit membership corporation.  It existed for 16 years, until the group decided to create its own theater building, buying property on Fairmount Avenue, [research:  at the City Line], now known as Brigiotta's Farmland Produce and Garden Center.  On that site, which served as the group's headquarters [res. - during the Arnazes visit to Jamestown in 1956, Forever Darling world premiere, the reception for local friends and classmates, etc., was held at that location).  The community theater performed at the Scottish Rite Temple, which, today, is the Robert H. Jackson Center, site of several prior-year LucyFest events.  The group grew to 5377 members by 1946, the largest amateur theater group in the country.  With membership expanding, the organization purchased Shea's Movie Theatre.  In 1968, therefore, the group renovated the theater which had stood vacant for five years.  The 1800 seat auditorium was gutted and renovated to a 400-seat auditorium with a 30 by 60-foot lobby.  The grand opening of the Little Theatre was held on April 19, 1969, starting a new era for the organization.  The building was renamed, in 1991, Lucille Ball Little Theatre following the comedy legend's death; with formal dedication May 24, 1991, with daughter, Lucie Arnaz and family in attendance," published for this date in 2014.

Sorry, had a slight hiccup along the way; "when the alligators are snapping, it's difficult to remember your initial project was to 'drain the swamp'"... JK

5/18/14 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 years ago - "In 1989, plans for an 'ongoing, living memorial to Lucy' would be announced during ceremonies in memory of Lucille Ball Friday at Jamestown City Hall.  Before she died the past month, Lucille had planned to be in Jamestown Friday.  She was to be honored in ceremonies set for noon atTracy Plaza.  Those ceremonies would go ahead as planned in honor of her memory according to Jamestown Mayor Steven B. Carlson.  Carlson would announce details of the community's plans to honor Lucy with a vital, long-term tribute to her comedy talents," published for this date in 2014.

5/18/14 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 75 years ago - "In 1939, Skateland was being erected at Celoron Park [now Lucille Ball Memorial Park].  According to the management, this new roller skating rink would be the largest and finest in this part of the country and would be opened to the public June 1.  The rink, which would be 85 feet wide and 168 feet long, was being constructed in a parking lot.  A new style of construction was being used to eliminate posts from the skating floor," published for this date in 2014.

5/19/14 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 25 years ago - "In 1989, the creation of the Lucille Ball Festival of New Comedy - a 'meaningful, ongoing, living tribute to Lucy' was announced at a ceremony honoring the star's memory. the event brought some 500 people to Tracy Plaza in Jamestown at noon.  Jamestown Mayor Steven B. Carlson called the festival project 'an attractive approach' to honoring Lucille that would create a living, show-business-related program built around her image as a popular comedienne.  It would also attract national attention as a unique, high-quality event,' he said," published for this date in 2014.

5/19/14 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Region - Gunderson To Speak at JBC Graduation - "Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Center for Comedy Executive Director Journey Gunderson will serve at the commencement speaker at the 128th annual graduation ceremony of Jamestown Business College on May 31.  Gunderson began tenure at the Center in January 2011 with the task of producing the Lucille Ball 100th Birthday Comedy Festival, using it as a pivotal launch point for the new vision and direction of the organization, including establishing Jamestown as the home of the first National Comedy Center.  That Festival drew 13,000 attendees over five days and had a direct economic impact of $3.6 million on Chautauqua County, while 2012 Lucille Ball Comedy Festival was profiled in the New York Times and ABC News 20/20," published for this date in 2014.

In yesterday's Post-Journal:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past: 25 Years Ago - “Saturday, May 20, was a day Jamestown Community College had awaited with special attention. It was on that day that JCC was to honor the area's first daughter and America's first lady of comedy. 'As you know, we had planned to have Lucile Ball here to award her an honorary doctoral degree today', JCC Prresident, Paul Benke, told the commencement audience. 'She and we have been denied that joyful occasion,' Benke said, 'We have felt her present here and now we miss her,'” published for this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past – ‘25 Years Ago’ – “In 1989, 'Jamestown Loves Lucy'. That was the name and the theme of the Fention Historical Center's collection of Lucille Ball memorabilia. On display were more than 100 photographs, posters, dolls, comic books, TV Guides and other magazines, both foreign and domestic, several outfits including a wedding gown - in short, a collection of items associated with almost every aspect of Lucy's movie and television career. The collection was gathered for temporary display during Lucy's planned return to Jamestown over the May 20 weekend.  But Lucy died.  'Now, we'll keep the exhibit open as a kind of memorial, so everyone in town has a chance to see it,' said Candy Larson, director of the Fenton Historical Center,” published for this date in 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past – ‘25 Years Ago’ – “When Carl Sanford, who was mayor of Jamesown in 1956 during the visit by Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz to Jamestown, decided to present the couple a key to the city, he contacted William Bates, then owner of Ellison Bronze in Falconer. It was to be given to Lucille and Desi when they came to Jamestown for the premiere of Forever Darling. Ellison employee, Frank Waddington, made the pattern from the engineer's sketch. The design included three hearts, a map of Chautauqua County, and the date, February 6, 1956,” published for this date in 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's 75-year-old news, P-J -   [research person, Kellogg; - remember, Skateland was a HUGE part of the Park for many generations of youngsters and oldsters -  those of you, TODAY, who have been here at LucyFest - Skateland burned totally in the 1960's), it was located just behind what is now the Moose Club, Nelson's Cafe of the 1930's [corner Lake & Dunham], forward, or thereabouts, just in front of the ballpark, located at the west-end of the Park - jk]

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Information Center – In Years Past – 75 years ago – “Chautauqua Lake's newest and, incidentally, its largest amusement building, the roller skating rink at Celoron Park, (now Lucille Ball Memorial Park), to be known as Skateland, would open on this evening.  Housed in a completely-new building, which encompassed the most-modern appointment, Skateland, was the largest roller-skating rink west of the Hudson River, NYS, and also one of the largest in the US, accoring to authorities.  More than 1500 persons could skate on the rink at one time.  The flooring was described by the management as the best available for roller skating.  In fact, it wa a good as could be installed in the most-satisfactory ballroom for dancing,” published for this date in 2014.

In today's Post-Journal:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Opening Act - Phase One National Comedy Center Primer Set To Break Ground In Early August, by Dennis Phillips - “The Jamestown Planning Commission received an introduction to the Gateway Station Patio project Tuesday. The patio project will be constructed behind the Jamestown Gateway Train Station along West Second Street. Phase 1 of the planned National Comedy Center will also be located along W. 2nd St., next to the train station where a Jamestown Board of Public Utilities substation is located, leading to a specialized railroad crossing to walk across to the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk along the Chadakoin River,” published for this date in 2014.

Of additional interest various happenings around Jamestown for those of you familiar with our town, are "Touring The Tombs", Lakeview (Cemetery) Summer Walking Tours Begin June 24; Grand Opening of Fenton History Center Museum - a new 'face' to the Mansion -  is Thursday (6/19); and Region - State Approves Downtown Historic District; if anyone wishes replication of these articles, let me know, and I shall print for you.

Thanks for your interest....JK 

More on the National Comedy Centre, please! :)

Ink was barely dry on THAT ONE, love!!!! 

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY 'The (patio project) is destined to be a part of the Comedy Center' - Opening Act - Phase One National Comedy Center Primer Set To Break Ground In Early August, by Dennis Phillips - “The Jamestown Planning Commission received an introduction to the Gateway Station Patio project Tuesday. The patio project will be constructed behind the Jamestown Gateway Train Station along West Second Street. Phase 1 of the planned National Comedy Center will also be located along W. 2nd St.  The project is phase 1 of the planned National Comedy Center, also located along W. 2nd St., to a specialized railroad crossing to walk across to the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk along the Chadakoin River.  Designers from Clark Patterson Lee and Tom Benson, National Comedy Center chairman, presented the project that will have industrial character to it, with an old brick and rustic look.  Rod Drake, Clark Paterson Lee principal consultant, said they are still waiting for approval from the state Historic Preservation Office and the National Parks Service before starting the project.  Bill Rice, Jamestown principal planner, said the project alsos needs the state Department of Conservation to approve the state environmental quality review.  'There are a lot of agencies we are working with', Drake said.  Drake said the plans are now to start construction after the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, which starts Wednesday, August 6.  Ceremonial breaking of ground could be done during Lucy Fest.  The project will take about three months, with completion by winter.  The patio project is part of a larger master plan.  Phase 2 will be the National Comedy Center.  'The Patio project is destined to be part of the Comedy Center,' Benson said.  The Planning Commission is scheduled to look at the site plan for the patio project in July.  Earlier this month, City Council approved the application for funding for the national Comedy Center through the state Consolidated Funding Application Program.  A partnership of local and regional foundations have provided grant funding for planning and development costs, and have also pledged $15.5 million toward actual construction and exhibit installation expenses in conjunection with what is projected to be a $33.5 million project.  The project is expected to leverage $7 million in new market tax credit financing and secure another $5 million in miscellaneous other public and private funding.  National Comedy Center officials submitted an application before the June 16 deadline requesting $6 million from the state for construction.  [rest of article:]  In other Planning Commission business (not connected to Comedy Center..... ," published for this date in 2014.

Archived