In todays Post Journal

Another thing I got thinking about. I know many have complained about the LD Center Facebook page. This should be a top site for Lucy fans but they seem to be behind in reporting Lucy news if they report it at all. Take the many Lucy related deaths we’ve had in the past 1-2 years. If they mention someone dying they are the last source. I’ve already learned about it from the lounge here, other Lucy related Facebook pages or even on TV. Take Sheila from last week. Not a mention from the Center for someone who was a rather large part of an episode and who was friends with Lucy. Although CBS Sunday morning gave her a nice piece complete with showing a clip on her on ILL. I know others have mentioned how they are often not correct in stuff they post either. I follow ME-TV on Facebook they post more Lucy pics and other Desilu related show pics (Star Trek) then the center does, and they do it weekly. I think the CBS run ILL Facebook page posts more than the Center. The think the only thing they seem to post are events. It could be so much more.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one main problem is that Jouney is heading in two directions and she is not qualified for either.   She has Tom Benson calling the shots.  Perhaps he should quit his job and take over.   With so many vacant buildings in Jamestown, it's hard to get excited over this new plan.   The Vikings building has been vacant for years and it is amazing.   I was in it a year ago-wow!   The bank across from the old gift shop is now empty.   The post office building is mostly empty.   Now they want to build new.   The ice areana is still in trouble.   I went to a concert there in January.   It was more than 1/2 empty:(   People are missing a great time in Jamestown and I don't know why.   However, I do know that Journey's time is spent on this Hall of Fame and not Lucy.

I don't see any reason why they a Comedy Hall of Fame and the existing Lucy museums wouldn't go hand in hand -- logically, or even from their business perspective, whatever that might be. If they were going to shift focus entirely to the Comedy Hall of Fame, they would have consolidated the two existing museums years ago to have more resources to direct towards the train station.

Thanks for saying this, Brock; it needs saying, without coloring the truths, and/or other 'self-advertising'....JK

Just another, personal, touch about Lucille Ball history -

About the chronology, I proposed to an 'agent' of the 59LucyLane corporation to give me an assist with iUniverse and publication of same; but, never heard back from them.  They apparently weren't interested enough to have Lucy's 'diary' as part of their promotion(s).

Seems like her childhood home would be happy to be able to get some 'benefit' from its publication, since my less-than-warm treatment I've received when introduced to the new E.D. at the Center several years ago and told her the Website of the Center was where the thing started, it should properly still be there, after its removal back in 2007 on Lucie's birthday, 7/17, when the then-E.D. decided he didn't like my attitude that it was MY work and not his.... 

In any event, iUniverse has 'decided' to publish a two-volume set [a considerable turn of events, since they were firm it only publishes 450 pages to a volume]; so, we are moving toward that and I'm working feverishly to get it ready for submission, at nearly 1000 pages!  Not bragging; just sayin!!!! 

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kellogg

Congratulations! I'm glad all your hard work has paid off. Will it be published January - June and July - December?

Yes, that is the only way we can do it; since Jan-June has almost 500 pp; and same for July-Dec, in spite of her 'taking cuppla months mid-year off'; honestly, that woman was the busiest - wonder when she had time to sleep!!!!  Hope everyone here who gets a set will think so, too.  In the meantime, I've barely scratched the surface!!!!  Hard to believe.  Thanks, Brock, for asking..  Loving you, JK..

Thanks to you, as well, Claude - Loving you, JK

From today's Post-Journal, included in the chronology::

The Post-Journal – Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “In 1989, Lucille Ball memorabilia is being sought for a community exhibit that will be presented in conjunction with Ball's visit to Jamestown May 18-21. Anyone who has photographs, movie posters, theater costumes, souvenirs and other memorabilia they would like to loan to the exhibit is being asked to contact the Fenton Historical Center. Ball, an area native, is to return to Jamestown to receive an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from the State University of New York at Jamestown Community College. The exhibit, one of several events being planned in cooperation with her visit, will take place at the Fenton and the lobby of the Jamestown Municipal Building,” published for this date in 2014.

I don't see any reason why they a Comedy Hall of Fame and the existing Lucy museums wouldn't go hand in hand -- logically, or even from their business perspective, whatever that might be. If they were going to shift focus entirely to the Comedy Hall of Fame, they would have consolidated the two existing museums years ago to have more resources to direct towards the train station.

Thanks for saying this, Brock; it needs saying, without coloring the truths, and/or other 'self-advertising'....JK

Self Advertising Joyce, really.   Except we donate everything we make back to the community!   That comment was uncalled for!

And with Joyce's comment, I will be signing off the lounge.   I guess when the Joyce's of the world get their butts into town, ask questions and attend meetings, then can their opinions have substance. 

Enjoy your Lucy worlds:)   M.

There's already a Comedy Hall of Fame in New York (associated with the Museum of the Moving Image) and also a National Comedy Hall of Fame in Florida, so this idea isn't entirely original. If it works great, but if not, I hope the Lucy-Desi Center won't be damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Added to the chronology this date:

The Post-Journal, Information Center - In Years Past – 25 Years Ago: “In 1989, entertainers Lucille Ball and Bob Hope took a break Saturday afternoon during rehearsals for Wednesday's Oscar show in Los Angeles. the pair, who had co-starred in several movies, would appear together to present one of the awards at the 61st Annual Academy Awards show,” published for this date in 2014.

Added to the chronology this date:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Saturday - Critical Eye - Happy Birthday - 'Critical Eye' Begins 35th Year Of Examining The Arts - by Robert W. Plyler - [photo caption - Jamestown was visited in August by the cast of the professional touring company of 'I Love Lucy - The Musical', who came to town on their day off from their performances in Buffalo (NY).  Here Sirena Irwin and Bill Mendieta act out a scene from the popular television series]  "Welcome to this week's column as 'the Critical Eye' of examining the arts, both locally, and on a national and international scale.  Each year, since March of 1980, we have spent a week looking at our coverage over the past year; last year, I submitted 117 articles.  The winter of 2013-14 has been so severe, the columns have been small.  The column of interviews and the review of the performance of 'I Love Lucy - The Musical' led to my great day of fun, running around Jamestown with the cast of that show.  While interviewing the BPO's music director, JoAnn Falletta, I was able to invite her to come to Jamestown to be 2013's Murray L. Bob Lecturer at the James Prendergast Library, which she did do, and which was a big bonus from that piece," published for this date in 2014.

Archived