Random clippings

Luvsbway

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12.10.84posted.png

She was very big on long dangling jewelery at one point, wore them all the time, like in Mame's It's Today opening number over the red velvet outfit and here in this interview.  My mom loved that about her, but hated her constantly wearing pants.  She loved Bea Arthur's clothes in Maude too but was not as tall as Bea so couldn't wear those herself, LOL

Some interesting things she mentions.  Of course coming back to TV to play a grandmother would be too easy.  So then let's do that a year later.

I thought they shot SP in March?

Love how in the last column she not only gave Desi credit for everything show and studio wise, but she was even giving him credit for shows that she got on the air during her years as Pres. 

11.1.85.1.png

11.1.85.2.png

Some interesting things she mentions.  Of course coming back to TV to play a grandmother would be too easy.  So then let's do that a year later.

I thought they shot SP in March?

Love how in the last column she not only gave Desi credit for everything show and studio wise, but she was even giving him credit for shows that she got on the air during her years as Pres. 

11.1.85.1.png

11.1.85.2.png

Wow, another great article.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the distressed wood paneling is the same pecky cypress that was on the verge of suicide in "Substitute Secretary":   I have scant memories of "Chico and Man", but I have say "what's to LOVE about it?".  I have a feeling Bea might not have been thrilled to have her singing voice compared to wounded-bull Lucy, since Bea toned down her musicality for their "BB" duet.

Interesting stuff in this article.  Wonderful opinions on Jean Stapleton, Bea Arthur, Joan Rivers, and Carol Burnett.  Lucy also mentions a bit about Gary and Lenny and also his involvement in the studio when he started.   I got the biggest laugh out of her reaction to Barbara Walters.

April 30, 75

4.30.75.png

I wonder if the distressed wood paneling is the same pecky cypress that was on the verge of suicide in "Substitute Secretary":   I have scant memories of "Chico and Man", but I have say "what's to LOVE about it?".  I have a feeling Bea might not have been thrilled to have her singing voice compared to wounded-bull Lucy, since Bea toned down her musicality for their "BB" duet.

Chico and the Man had two things going for it, Albertson and Prinze.

She was right never cared for that movie, only laughed once, the farting scene at the campfire.

The theater chosen for "Mame" in Portland was the Bagdad an old-style house with a big screen and a balcony.  Some time during the "Mame" run, the theater converted its balcony into a second screen and, ironically, the first feature shown on the new 2nd screen, was "Blazing Saddles", which I saw there.  The partition was not sound-proofed enough and I could hear some of louder parts of Mame, particularly the last chorus of the "Mame" number and the ending orchestration of "Loving You".

The Bagdad did it up big for "Mame", installing a huge blow up of Lucy from the movie poster covering its wall of windows to the lobby.  Ticket prices were a bit higher with a little sign by the box office with a blurb that read something like "because of the incredible importance of this film.....".  There was an intermission after the "Mame" number.  I don't know if an intermissions were the norm for "Mame" showings all over.  I believe that was the last movie I attended that had one.

"Mame" premiered the same time it did everywhere in March ("Easter-time" as Lucy put it) and it ran over 3 months well into June.  Don't know if the long run was due to the box office success or if in the bidding process theaters were contractually obligated to a 3 month run.  Some time during the run, they launched a new newspaper ad campaign with a lot of verbiage "When was the last time you left a musical humming the tunes?.......and....Mame, we need her now more than ever."   There was just a little photo of Lucy with one roller skate at the bottom of the 1/4 page ad.   And the ticket prices were dropped to the standard, I think it was $2.75 at the time. $13.21 in today's dollars!

The theater chosen for "Mame" in Portland was the Bagdad an old-style house with a big screen and a balcony.  Some time during the "Mame" run, the theater converted its balcony into a second screen and, ironically, the first feature shown on the new 2nd screen, was "Blazing Saddles", which I saw there.  The partition was not sound-proofed enough and I could hear some of louder parts of Mame, particularly the last chorus of the "Mame" number and the ending orchestration of "Loving You".

The Bagdad did it up big for "Mame", installing a huge blow up of Lucy from the movie poster covering its wall of windows to the lobby.  Ticket prices were a bit higher with a little sign by the box office with a blurb that read something like "because of the incredible importance of this film.....".  There was an intermission after the "Mame" number.  I don't know if an intermissions were the norm for "Mame" showings all over.  I believe that was the last movie I attended that had one.

"Mame" premiered the same time it did everywhere in March ("Easter-time" as Lucy put it) and it ran over 3 months well into June.  Don't know if the long run was due to the box office success or if in the bidding process theaters were contractually obligated to a 3 month run.  Some time during the run, they launched a new newspaper ad campaign with a lot of verbiage "When was the last time you left a musical humming the tunes?.......and....Mame, we need her now more than ever."   There was just a little photo of Lucy with one roller skate at the bottom of the 1/4 page ad.   And the ticket prices were dropped to the standard, I think it was $2.75 at the time. $13.21 in today's dollars!

Yup, about 2.25 here on the biggest screen Montreal had, it has since been torn down and turned into condos of course, balcony here too but definitely no intermission, last time i saw one of those was Funny Girl in '68.  The one where i had never seen an intermission so i left halfway and wondered how come this or that number wasn't included, LOL!  It didn't play long here but it was the biggest old time Palace type theater we had at that time, now they're ALL gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article talking about Gilda and Lucy after both their deaths.  A couple of things.  I hate the tone that Lucy was past her prime relegating her to just the best decade.  The death date is wrong.  He is trying to list forgettable movies of both but why did he pick Yours, Mine and Ours for Lucy? That was her highest grossing movie ever, was wonderfully acted and written and showed that she could do wonderful things in movies too.

When talking about some of Gilda’s best from SNL he totally missed a great opportunity to talking about Gilda doing Lucy.  

5.26.89.png

Interesting article talking about Gilda and Lucy after both their deaths.  A couple of things.  I hate the tone that Lucy was past her prime relegating her to just the best decade.  The death date is wrong.  He is trying to list forgettable movies of both but why did he pick Yours, Mine and Ours for Lucy? That was her highest grossing movie ever, was wonderfully acted and written and showed that she could do wonderful things in movies too.

When talking about some of Gilda’s best from SNL he totally missed a great opportunity to talking about Gilda doing Lucy.  

5.26.89.png

What an ass, never heard of him, wonder why?  At least he said that Wildcat was a success, didn't we read here yesterday that most people don't remember it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived