It Doesn't Really Make Sense That....

Doesn't make sense .. Cornell Wild's penthouse is so shabby and the Ricardo's suite is so chic.

Speaking of Cornel Wilde's suite, did you ever notice the view from his balcony is completely different than the view from the Ricardos'?  He's just staying right above the Ricardos, with a balcony facing in the same direction as theirs.  So how can he be looking at entirely different scenery?

I thought it was the same, just slightly different because he was HIGHER.  Always loved that backdrop used BUT it was ok on small tv sets in the fifties, now that everything's been re mastered and is so big, you can tell that none of the cars on there are moving.  That one car has been idle on a busy Hollywood street for sixty years now, LOL!

I thought it was the same, just slightly different because he was HIGHER.  Always loved that backdrop used BUT it was ok on small tv sets in the fifties, now that everything's been re mastered and is so big, you can tell that none of the cars on there are moving.  That one car has been idle on a busy Hollywood street for sixty years now, LOL!

Nope.  Compare these two pictures.  The first is the view from Cornel Wilde's suite.  Note the two or three prominent highrise buildings.  The one on the right has a sign that says Mirror Theatre.  You see mainly those buildings and a mountain in the background.  Now look at the second picture, the view from the Ricardos' suite.  Those two buildings are no longer there.  There is no Mirror Theatre sign.  Instead, there is a multi-lane street in the middle of their view.  And most significantly is the mountain with the famous Hollywood sign.  No Hollywood sign can be seen from Cornel Wilde's suite.  He apparently has a view of a completely different mountain!

post-738-0-25725500-1415333329_thumb.jpg

It's ok, I know what THAT one looks like, you are obviously right about Cornel's backdrop.  I guess Desilu couldn't get two of the same so they had to settle for a bad copy, LOL!

Here's a little more something on the Cornel Wilde view.  This is that large white building on the right seen from his balcony.

http://www.publicartinla.com/neon_signs/broadway_hollywood_neon.jpeg

It's called the Broadway Hollywood.  That big sign on top of the building, you can actually see it if you look really closely at that shot I posted above of Lucy on the balcony, though it's very faint.  Now if you look at this picture:

http://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/846-02796577em-1940s-STREET-SCENE-CARS-BUS-VIEW-DOWN-VINE-STREET-NEAR-SUNSET-BOULEVAR.jpg

This is a street level view of what is seen from the Ricardos' balcony.  This is Vine St.  Notice on the left is that same Broadway Hollywood building seen from Cornel Wilde's suite.  And in the background, towards the right is the famous Hollywood sign.  So the two shots are in slightly different directions.  From Cornel Wilde's suite, the Broadway Hollywood is at the far right of his view, whereas it's at the far left of the Ricardos' view.  And Cornel Wilde appears to be about a block or two closer.  So anyway, they're looking at the same mountain, just from different angles and distances.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In "Softball", Lucy and Viv are taking are at the batting machine at the Amusement Park (same one as Katie and Grandma Reta Shaw?  Would have been a nice touch to have Grandma still chasing Katie in the background with Katie still yelling "I WANNA HOT DOG!").

Whoever gets the most hits gets to play in the game.  Lucy was behind has "conned" Viv into another round.  With Lucy trailing Viv by 50% (Score: Viv: 2; Lucy: 1), Lucy once again cons Viv into a third round.  Each round costs 50 cents and each has paid once. 

Lucy: "Put 50 cents in the machine. It's your turn for that."  which Viv accepts without question. For this upcoming round, WHY must Viv pay??  But Viv has to go get change.   Why can't she just "borrow" Lucy's 50 cents? which somehow Viv knows she has (how?), and voices her suspicion (justified, it turns out) that Lucy will sneak  in a practice round while Viv's gone to get her change!

I guess the writers wanted to get rid of Viv for Lucy to get herself in trouble.  And seriously, it all happens so quickly and nonchalantly that we don't question the logic.

• 1 year later...

Why did Viv think sharing her "Crazy Crunch" recipe with a reporter was a good idea? Surely a lot of people wouldn't bother to buy it if they knew how to make it themselves. Not to mention their going out-of-business right afterwards. She basically just gave it to the world and lost money to boot.

Archived