Lucy & Desi Photo Thread (Vol. 2)

Brock

This has to be after 1954. Doing a little detective work, the book on the table (first published in 1954) appears to be Bob Hope's book, "Bob Hope's Own Story: Have Tux Will Travel."  That is neither Robert Taylor or Victor Mature…most likely a radio or TV interviewer.

Here's a link to the Hope book cover:

http://www.bookmine.com/images/175877.jpg

8845.jpg

Supposedly, RKO was concerned about how thin Lucy had become. She had been working non-stop and then had been sent on a months long publicity tour. She was hospitalized in hopes of putting on some pounds and resting, but didn't she gain any weight. She then started work on Valley of the Sun and starting gaining weight again. Lucy would get pregnant shortly thereafter and then have a miscarriage. I don't think this hospitalization was cover up for a miscarriage. Lucy said she had her first miscarriage shortly after Carole Lombard died, which was in January 1942. This story was from October 1941.

Thanks for the timeline as I knew she had a miscarriage in the early part of the marriage.

Interesting that she was too thin. I think she was too thin up until about 1940 then seemed to put on enough to look healthy. Seems maybe when she started back on Looks Who's Laughing in early/mid 1941 that this is when the overworking started. Glad that back then movie people could see a concern in being too thin. Sadly it isn't the case anymore when most women in Hollywood could use a sandwhich.

Seems like Lucille always said her weight was close to 125 most of the time in adulthood.  When she started Wildcat, it is written she was around that weight; and due to heavy work schdule for same, and other obvious, 'stressful' parts of her life; just divorced, etc., she went down to a dangerous below 100 pounds - no wonder she fainted; and got really ill.  Smoking didn't help her any, either.

If you watch her performance on Ed Sullivan which I believe was done in Feb 1960 she looks very thin. Also around this time she did a I've Got A Secret (could have been What's My Line) and she seemed so tired. Not just not perky but really exhausted.

I really think that the weight loss during Wildcat and then putting it back on once she got healthy changed her figure. Not for the bad as she looked great just different than if she was that weight in the 50s.